DODGE RAM FORUM banner

True Dual Exhaust System

14K views 15 replies 13 participants last post by  TonyB.95 
#1 ·
I currently have the sport 5.7L Hemi with dual out exhaust. I am looking to put on a true dual exhaust system. Does anyone know if this is okay or will it screw up the trucks computer system or something?

Thanks!

#2 ·
I'd think it can be done if a competent tech did the work. You're looking at two CATs, and two mufflers plus doubling the sensors (this is where the good tech comes in) plus telling the computer what's what.

If I were doing it, I'd also put a set of headers on. No sense in going to all that effort and expense and only doing half the job.

#7 ·
I'd think it can be done if a competent tech did the work. You're looking at two CATs, and two mufflers plus doubling the sensors (this is where the good tech comes in) plus telling the computer what's what.

If I were doing it, I'd also put a set of headers on. No sense in going to all that effort and expense and only doing half the job.
There's no need to double up on sensors since it already has 1/1, 1/2 ,2/1 and 2/2 sensors already in place.

#3 ·
I currently have the sport 5.7L Hemi with dual out exhaust. I am looking to put on a true dual exhaust system. Does anyone know if this is okay or will it screw up the trucks computer system or something?

Thanks!
I know it has been done already. The gentleman has an 10' R/T. He took is truck into a local shop and showed them exactly how he wished to have it set up while it was on the lift. I forget the specific's as far as keeping/removing the cats, muffler and resonator's etc..I do know he is very pleased with the outcome and has not had any issues with drone or throwing codes. Brianwl is correct about having a competent tech do the install as the whole process is something that require's a seasoned professional's direction and fabrication.

#5 ·
I would say there must be a gain of sorts. Better air flow can't help but increase performance. I'm just not sure what the numbers on the actual gain will be.

Exco

#9 ·
I'd hold off until you have heard that somebody has already done a setup like what you are looking at. The reason I say that is because you may actually loose some low-end torque because of the loss of back-preasure. I did this to a GMC a few years back and I felt the loss of low-end torque. Now once I got rolling, I felt the gain (40mph punch, merging, etc.). If you do go true dual, I'd upgrade the intake as well. If your going to flow better going out, you'll need to have better "flow" going in. Also, go with an x-pipe. I'm sure if you search on u-tube you'll find examples of all sorts of exhaust systems and tru-dual setups.

Jake

#12 ·
I'd hold off until you have heard that somebody has already done a setup like what you are looking at. The reason I say that is because you may actually loose some low-end torque because of the loss of back-preasure.
The point of installing an aftermarket exhaust is to reduce back pressure; the reason for the loss of power is an improperly sized/designed exhaust system. Improper pipe size is the most common mistake when designing an exhaust system, most systems are too large for their application. Designing an exhaust system is a delicate balance between reducing back pressure while maintaining sufficient exhaust velocity.

#15 ·
deff a x-pipe and if all depends what size pipes you go with will give you different power gains at different rpm ranges

Answer: Don't be fooled! Bigger is not better! Many people think that having the biggest diameter pipe is the best way to make power.
Not true. Due to a variety of factors, extensive testing is required. We've dyno'd extensively and our systems yield optimum power increases. Some manufacturers claim even higher horsepower numbers.

It is a fine line to reduce backpressure while maintaining good exhaust velocity. It is not about getting the biggest pipe, it is about getting a more efficient pipe diameter while maintaining exhaust velocity.

There has to be a balanced design to enhance the maximum engine output, exhaust gas velocity, and sound. For example, imagine blowing air through a straw (comparing it to a smaller diameter pipe). This would take time to release all the air from your mouth, and you would feel pressure in your mouth while doing so. Now imagine blowing air through a paper towel roll (comparing it to a larger diameter pipe). You will relieve all your air much faster and feel little or no air pressure in your mouth because of the larger capacity of the tube. This is why it is important to get the correct size piping in order to relieve backpressure while maintaining thermal efficiency.

Use the guide below when calculating pipe size for custom exhaust work. Keep in mind that the goal is to improve exhaust flow. In most cases, just changing the restrictive OEM muffler and replacing it with the same size straight-through, Wide Open Performance MagnaFlow muffler will do the job.

To reduce additional backpressure, the OEM exhaust tubing can be replaced with mandrel-bent tubing of the same size or one size up from the OEM. As a general rule, you can enlarge the pipe diameter of your OEM exhaust system by 1/4 to 1/2-inch to increase your horsepower. However, any additional increase in pipe diameter is likely to decrease your performance; specifically, low end torque.
http://www.magnaflow.com/07techtips/faq/question10.asp

#16 ·
i have a 95 1500 5.9 and i have true dual with an x pipe no muffler and i'm the loudest truck where i live that i know of right now. but my prob is that after my truck warms up my check engine light comes on and it starts runnin like i have a cam in her so i'ma be taking it to the shopp soon, it sounds great but i seem to be using alot more gas now it must be floodin up.idk

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.