DODGE RAM FORUM banner

8 Speed automatic fluid check

9K views 17 replies 14 participants last post by  V6ramguy 
#1 ·
Ok I feel like Dumb A** here but I have looked on Cd, and in manual, under the hoof for 1/2 hour. The tranny fluid check is where?

2013 1500 8 speed automatic

Thanks
kps

#8 ·
Same thing on the wife's Avalon. Sealed unit. supposedly never needs changing. Have my doubts, but 170,000 miles later and so far so good! There is a trans plug (at least on hers) that you can pop open to check the fluid. I have to say - it's darker than it used to be, but still pretty darn good looking yet.

Considering that most people will probably sell off a (new) vehicle by the time it hits 150k miles. the "lifetime" claim hold valid - at least for that owner.

Then again - when the trans fails - that was it's "lifetime" anyway - so I guess their claim holds true!!

#11 ·
The 8 speed is a lifetime fill. I plan on keeping Thunderhorse for an extraordinarily long time though, so I may end up changing the fluid at some point in the distant future regardless (maybe 200,000 miles or so).

#13 ·
Fluid Level Check — Eight-Speed Transmission
The fluid level is preset at the factory and does not require
adjustment under normal operating conditions. Routine
fluid level checks are not required, therefore the transmission
has no dipstick. Your authorized dealer can check your
transmission fluid level using special service tools.

Fluid And Filter Changes — Eight-Speed
Transmission
Under normal operating conditions, the fluid installed at
the factory will provide satisfactory lubrication for the
life of the vehicle.
Routine fluid and filter changes are not required. However
change the fluid and filter if the fluid becomes
contaminated (with water, etc.), or if the transmission is
disassembled for any reason.

Pulled from the 2014 Ram owners manual.

#15 ·
All 2014 V6 Rams have the 8 speed. However, the manuals that come for the Hemi and V6 trucks are the same and include sections for servicing both the 8 and 6 speeds. Ensure that you are reading the sections that are pertinent to your particular vehicle.

#16 ·
I would almost bet that that it has a plug that can be unscrewed, like the rear end,
stick your finger in the hole past the first joint & wiggle it, to see if you touched liquid
The rear differentials have a small vent tube to keep pressure from building up, so do the newer transmissions
If water enters the vent tubes, you could possibly allow water into the rear end or transmission, the water could also carry a piece of dirt

The automatic transmissions in the past 35 or more years have been sensitive to having anything besides transmission fluid in the ports of the valve body assembly.
Every time that you check your transmission fluid with the dipstick, you stand a good chance of letting a itty bitty piece of dirt drop down into the fill tube & if it gets picked up by the transmission pump, it would travel with the fluid & end up possibly lodged in a valve body check valve. If your checking your tranny fluid level just once monthly, you are multiplying the chances of getting dirt into the fluid.

Remember in the old days, when transmissions had both a rear & front transmission pump & no sensitive valve body? You could even push start a automatic transmission vehicle back then !!
When we checked the Motor Oil, Water Level, & Transmission Fluid Level every time we filled the gas tank ?? Did you worry about the dust, oil, & dirt too much when you pulled out the tranny dip stick ??

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.