DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Motor Oil Change

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  Hermes1 
#1 ·
I having been hearing from some places that newer vehicles come with an Oil Life Monitoring system that judges how you drive and tells you how much "life" is left in your oil. Do you think this is something to trust and to go by as to when to change your oil or should I stick to the old change every 5,000 km's?

#2 ·
I am not convinced the oil monitoring system is accurate. Here is why, I changed my oil in my new truck at 500 miles and then again at 1000 miles to synthetic . I did the engine reset after the 1K change. Shortly after changing, I went on a 3,500 mile trip, yes I was towing a trailer but a small trailer at 3K GVWR and at 2,200 miles I received a message telling me to change the oil.

#3 ·
I agree. Don't rely on some sensor for something as important as this. Wha'd we do before sensors? Oh yeah, kept records and changed it every 5K miles. If it ain't broke, don't fix it. ;)

#5 ·
You will do fine with that timetable. I believe the sensors may be a good thing for people who do not keep records and uncertain about when to change their oil. The change the oil message may help to get the oil changed on a regular basis.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.