DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2014 Quad Cab with V6 Penstar

9K views 38 replies 24 participants last post by  Bkuz 
#1 ·
looking to trade my 2003 Hemi quad cab for a 2014 Quad Cab with V6 penstar.
Has anyone had any issues with the new V6 in the Quad Cab
Is the gas mileage as good as they say and is the passing power adequate.
Yks

#2 ·
I have the Crewcab with the V6, getting around 20-22mpg around town and have got as high as 30mpg on hwy. Passing power is good, haven't had any problems so far. Noticed that if I have the cruise set at 90km/h it will lose about 10 km/h going up a big hill before it drops a couple gears to get u back up to speed.

#5 ·
I have a crew cab. don't try to pass a big truck on a 2 lane road. otherwise acceleration is just ok. I got 23mpg on a trip to florida and back at about 70-75 mpg. that is not the mileage indicated on the dash but the actual calculations of miles traveled divided by gallons bought. i'm pretty skeptical that it can get 25 mpg.

#7 ·
I have a 2014 quad cab, 4x4 with a 3.6 pentastar 8 speeds and have it since October 3, 2013.

I have now 5700 kms on it and am averaging 14L/100 KM, not bad but thought it would be a little bit better.

No problem at all and love to drive it in any condition, power is sufficient for my personal need.

PS: Sorry for my english

#8 ·
I've only had my 14 CC 3.6 4X4 for less than a month so far and have only run 2900 miles. So far I'm okay with my mpg, mixed average of 19mpg. I wish mine was as high as most seem to be experiencing but I'm guessing that my driving style must not be near as conservative as theirs. I'm happy with the 19, my 2011 QC 2WD with the 4.7 only averaged 16 driving the same back and forth trip to work.

As far as power goes it feels just as powerful as my 4.7 did. It will pass fine and if you need to pass in a hurry all you have to do is stab it. Like most V6's it takes it a moment to rev, but once it does and that 8 speed grabs a couple two or three gears it will move right down the road.

#9 ·
I havent had my Quad Cab w/ the 3.6 Pentastar for a while but im definitely happy with it. If youre towing some very heavy loads pretty frequently then the 5.7 might make more sense, but ill be towing occasionally and it will suit my needs well. When i was breaking in the engine i had trouble keeping my speed down around the speed limit, it definitely moves with the v6 and the 8 speed.

#11 ·
Crew Cab v6 4x4

I have had mine for 6 months. I would have never thought I would buy a full size truck with a v6 but I have been impressed with the power. I drive on 2 lane highways all the time and don't hesitate to pass. I have had several people surprised that the truck performs more like a v8.

#13 ·
I wrote this for another member: also FYI I'm coming from a 2008 F250 diesel.
I was towing a heavily modded Jeep XJ on a flatbed trailer with electric brakes. My buddy and I were curious as how my new Ram would tow, so we stopped by a nearby scale and weighed in at 6200lbs without us in it (so add another 440lbs). I averaged 17.3mpg hand calc, but was within 2tenths of the truck CPU. I kept the posted speed limit of 65mph and passed a few times. I had zero issues merging into traffic and at no point felt unsettled. We had a few errands to run during our trip, so transitioning from interstate to local roads gave us a good mix. I think its important for me to note I was driving very conservatively, keeping a sharp eye on the "current MPG screen."
I can say confidently that this truck will meet or exceed any reasonable towing need or any other "truck job" for that matter. The only downside I can think of is Resale, v6 trucks just don't hold their value as well.
Hope this helps,
Dom

#15 ·
2014 Bighorn Crew, 4x4, 3.55. Dead on sticker, 16.7 in town with lots of stop lights,, 23 highway I doubt that claim of 30 mpg, sorry. Plenty of power with the 8 speed. No regrets, daily driver.

Randy
I am using the Imperial gallon in Canada so thats why I am getting close to 30mpg. 1 IMP=4.5 litres, 1 US=3.8 litres of fuel.:doh::thk:

#16 ·
I got 24.4 mpg(imp) on last tank hand calculated. -25 degrees and half the time in 4x4. Also remote start warm up twice a day. I will crack the 30 mpg in the summer easily. I also don't agree with the under powered when passing comment. When I push the gas and she drops into 5th gear on the highway, it sucks u back in the seat.

#18 ·
Well, y'all are making me lean toward the 3.6! My local dealer is not good, so I'll have to leave town to test drive one.

#22 · (Edited)
Juma- The 25mpg may be possible in a standard cab 2wd version with the v6 ( that is what Chrysler used to attain that value) but the quad/crew with 4 x 4 just can't get there.
OH...yep ram can't revoke the laws of physics. they already did two things I'd do to get gas mileage - 40 pounds of air in the tires, deep front spoiler.

Other things I will do is bed cover (done), K&N air filter (ordered), insulate airbox and intake (scheduled), refill the diff with 75w90 or 75w110 (at 10k miles). That plus wearing in a little ought to get 24, maybe 25.

#24 ·
Yep, me too on the bed cover. I am also adding the dual exhaust as the Hemi but really don't expect anything but appearance on that.
I would not add the duals because that full single exhaust is a significant component of the torque at the low end. yes, you might get more power on top end but the 1600rpm haul will lose torque and possibly gas mileage. but thats just me.

#26 ·
the speed of the exhaust helps create torque by moving the exhaust gas faster at certain rpm's due to the size of the exhaust. If you look at the the ram 3.6, its got two huge equal length tubes from each side that come together further back. the reason this can work is the exhaust cools as it goes towards the rear and takes up less volume and maintains the speed of the exhaust gas. splitting into two pipes at the rear will slow the exhaust a bit and eat into torque at lower rpm's. At higher rpm it might help as the volume of gas is much larger. Whether you can feel that or not, I don't know. It will be measurable with the right equipment. But, I get it about the look! drive on!

#27 ·
This is interesting, I had planned on putting a hemi dual muffler on my pentastar as well for the sound. I wasn't going to replace my bumper for the dual cut out or anything. But I do plan on buying a small travel trailer to pull with my truck. I wouldn't want to change my low end torque at all. how much torque are we talking about possibly losing by doing that? The Pentastar is already lacking in that department.

#28 ·
Dual Exhaust on v6

FYI, just touched base with blackrain86 and he has executed the dual exhaust. He stated that he does not notice a significant torque change. Blackrain86 said, "I highly doubt you will notice any different. Outside of sound and look, I have noticed no difference. Good luck. I would do what you want."

#30 ·
2013 3.6

I have owned mine for 7 months now no power problems. 13L/100km average on hilly back roads to and from work with town driving mixed in on my days off. I have a single 3" to two 2.5" dual set up split in the muffler no noticeable torque loss (it would be considered a cat back on most vehicles, sounds great). I test drove my truck a 4.7 w/ 6 speed and a 5.7 w/ 6 speed. Floored each one no difference in seat of your pants feel. MPG is way better than my buddy's 5.7 w/ 6 speed and he does mostly high way driving

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.