DODGE RAM FORUM banner

oil too hot?

5K views 15 replies 8 participants last post by  tfeni52355 
#1 ·
The truck is brand new, still breaking in, I noticed the oil temperature gauge going way up there (EVIC only)...i didn't checked the numbers to do a comparison, but is it normal for the gauge to be that high? It was indeed stop and go traffic, but it was like -10 or so outside.

See less See more
#4 ·
Can you check the EVIC display for the actual temperature as opposed to the gauge on the dash? My Oil displayed on the EVIC is around 80 Degrees Celsius once it's at normal operating temperature, and yes the coolant is pretty close to this as well.

#5 ·
I would think oil should be around 200-210F normal driving. You could send your oil in to Blackstone Labs at the next change, see if there is any viscosity break down. Another reason to use synthetic oil. Manufactures like motors to run hot, it cuts down emissions as well as gives better economy.

#9 ·
so today i got some numbers:

- coolant: 194F, top 219F (104C)
- tranny: 175F - 180F (80C)
- oil temp: today topped out at 212F (100C) in stop and go traffic

I could not find a normal temp guideline for the oil temp anywhere. I could find the coolant and tranny, but not oil temp.

#10 ·
perfectly normal to see oil temps slightly high. things are tight. and your in stop and go traffic.
Its best to be hammering it on some open areas to get a good ring seal. dont just baby it around in town. I like to use tow mode on new trucks. it keeps the rpms up more and higher shift points...

#12 ·
Yea, 2014, Pentastar V6, 8 speed. Picked it up last Thursday with ~10km on it.

perfectly normal to see oil temps slightly high. things are tight. and your in stop and go traffic.
Its best to be hammering it on some open areas to get a good ring seal. dont just baby it around in town. I like to use tow mode on new trucks. it keeps the rpms up more and higher shift points...
I do baby it, took out on the highway 3 times so far, shorter trips, I don't think I ever rev'ed it past 4000 rpm yet. I will get into it more for the next few days, no redlines; maybe it is indeed new and things are tight.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.