DODGE RAM FORUM banner

A/C turns hot when braking

16K views 8 replies 6 participants last post by  Brad1982 
#1 ·
Ok what the hell...i need to hit up Xibit and pimp my ride. Hot air from air conditioning when I hit the brakes??? Help! Thanx in advance.

G
#2 ·
So in other words, as you slow, the A/C temp gets higher?

Well, the condensor does need some air flowing over it but you should not get hot air instantaneously. If you are, two things come to mind:

1. Your A/C condensor (mounted in front of your radiator) is plugged and needs to be cleaned. Some brake cleaner and warm water will do the trick. Don't hit it with a pressure washer.

2. If it stops cooling only when you hit the brakes (come to a stop, put it in Park, foot off brake and check air temp) then there's a short somewhere that is interfering with proper A/C operation...in other words, your compressor is failing to operate.

3. I assume, since you are slowing down or at a standstill, your RPM's have dropped compared to when you are moving and the A/C works OK. When was the last time you checked or replaced your accessory drive belt?

#6 ·
A/C turns hot when braking (cont'd)

It doesnt get hotter gradually when I slow down. If I have the A/C on it blows cold air awesome, but when i slow down to stop at a stop sign or red light I here a kind of "POP" noise from under the glovebox and the A/C instantly goes hot air. Also happens in vent mode too. I have to turn the A/C off and the blower to low setting, then turn it back on after driving about 50 feet. If I turn it back on instantly its still hot. The only thing that I have noticed is that is "pump" the brakes as I slow down the A/C will sometimes stay cold. LOL...thankfully winter is coming up - no problems with the heater.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.