DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - 4.7 Liter V8 Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!
Factory Spec: 4.7-liter V8 engine - 310 horsepower, 330 lb-ft of torque.

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 08-24-2014, 11:16 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 1500 SLT Quad Cab
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Black
Engine: 2008-20?? 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 310hp 330lb/ft
Rep:10
spnich1x is on a distinguished road

Do you need anything as far as tools beside the thin walled socket? I looked at doing them myself but I figured it was too tight of a fit for the back one's. I took in to have a local shop do it.

Now I am thinking they might not have put in the proper plugs. Coming up on 70K so might want to go ahead and change them all even though they are not due to 90K.

The book says to change the wires then too. Is that what you would recommend? Also stick with stock wires?

Thanks.
Old 08-25-2014, 12:08 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member!

Vehicle: 2013 RCSB Ram
Trim Level: ST
Color: White
Rep:470
Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

Basically all i used for tools was a 1/4 drive ratchet with a 6" and 3" extension and a 10mm socket to unbolt the coils.
For the plugs i used a 3/8 drive ratchet with a 6" and 3" extension again and a very thinwall socket.
If all you have is a standard sized plug socket,you'll probably have to grind it down some.

I haven't priced out the wires,but if they aren't too bad price wise it's probably wise to spring for them.
That way you don't have to be too careful with the old ones.
I'm anal about using factory parts ,but you don't have to,so if Napa or somebody sells a comparable set,i don't see anything wrong with using their wires
They are a bit of a bear to get a good grip on to remove from the plug.
The bottom plug wires gave me more static then anything else,as my truck only has 9,000 miles on it,so i wanted to re-use my wires,and by the time i had them off,i had learned some new words and leaked a bit of blood,

It's much easier to do the passenger side if you totally remove the airbox.
I left my AirRaid CAI in place and worked around it,but it was a royal PIA.

Make sure you put a little anti-seize on the plug threads,and as Sean pointed out use some Di-electric grease on the boots and the body of the spark plug itself.
The bottom boots have a rubber insulating ring about 1/2 way down their body,you'll want a little grease on that ring too
I also greased the boots that go to the coils too,and put a little anti-seize on the threads of the coil hold down bolts

I had to use a small thin screwdriver to push down the internal tabs after sliding the red locking tab rearward to release the wire harness's to the coils

Make sure you don't eat before hand,as you'll be doing alot of this laying on your stomach across the top of the radiator,ps: the alternator makes a good elbow rest

They aren't that bad,but take your time and probably allow yourself the better part of an afternoon for the job.
I pulled my plugs to check their gaps for 2 reasons,one to satisfy my curiousity,and the second is the trucks going back on the dyno this Friday to see what we can squeek out of a 4.7,lol
Rick

Last edited by Hornet; 08-25-2014 at 12:19 AM.
Old 08-26-2014, 12:40 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2011 1500 SLT Quad Cab
Color: Black
Rep:10
spnich1x is on a distinguished road

Thanks for the info and heads up. Will give it shot later on this month. Thanks again!
Old 08-29-2014, 06:48 PM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

Have a piece of copper tubing ready to separate the torn boot from the plug on the intake sides. It will save your whole day lol.

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-29-2014, 08:25 PM

Hornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of lightHornet is a glorious beacon of light

LOL,sounds like your speaking from experience Sean.

What are the boots/wires worth,i still haven't priced anything out
Rick
Old 08-30-2014, 01:11 AM

Vehicle: 2010 Dodge Ram 1500
Rep:1385
snrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud ofsnrusnak has much to be proud of

lol yes. I got my replacement coils with boots for right around $20/each from autozone. OEM replacements. Dealer was more like $25 or $30 each. Someone recently told me you can buy just the bots from NAPA now for less than $10/each.

I was near my tool box and verified it's 3/8" copper plumbing pipe, not 1/2".

Breathing in and out is good enough for me.
Old 08-31-2014, 05:12 PM

Thanks Sean.
The copper pipe tip is filed away in the memory banks for future referance