DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Seafoam in crankcase? Yay or nay?

6K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  Kens04 
#1 ·
I put this in another thread but figured it would get more attention on its own.

Ive got a can of this stuff sitting in the garage and might have some time this afternoon to do it. Majority of reviews I have read are very good but every now and again youll see someone say DO NOT put into your crankcase, dispite the instructions telling you to add 1/3 of it to the oil. Fuel is fine, intake is fine oil NO. Anyone care to comment on that? I got a new PCV and EGR valve to replace this weekend along with an oil change im going to do, should I just stick with doing those things and seafoam in the intake and fuel and leave it out of oil? I wanted to do the seafoam before I put the new PCV and EGR valves on. I dont want to screw anything up and have it clean the crankcase soooo good it starts leaking somewhere. I have an 04 5.7 hemi with 105k miles on it. Thanks

So...:smileup: or :smiledown:

#4 ·
I put it in my '84 VW Quantum. I had a sticky lifter. After using sea foam in the oil for a few minutes, all my lifters were ticking. I wouldn't do it again, but they maybe were on the way out anyway. I do use it in my gas for my tractor, and riding mower.

#6 ·
Well I put it in the intake and gas yesterday. It hardly smoked at all, and I mean very little, guess thats good it meams it wasnt too dirty? I used a third of the can in the intake and the rest in the gas, it say the full bottle can treat 8- 25 gallons so I put in roughly two thirds of the can and filled up about 12 gallons and will run that all the way through. Im not going to put it in the crankcase, its just too nerve racking for me. Ill keep changing the oil with a quality synthetic every 3-5 k miles. Im going to change the oil and the PCV and EGR valves this weekend too so that will give me peice of mind rather than dumping the seafoam in the crankcase.

Seafoam results, even though I had hardly any smoke I did notice improved throttle response, idle was fine before so nothing to report there. But when im going up a hill now it seems to recognise the change gice it more gas and shift sooner rather than before I felt like I could practicaly floor it and it wouldnt shift just kind of bog down now it gives more gas and shifts at the right point. I know I didnt do anything to the trans. but the throttle response has to be related to shifting I guess.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.