DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Delivery - Loaded Laramie Copperhead Two-Tone, 8-Spd, Air Susp

7K views 49 replies 36 participants last post by  arietem 
#1 · (Edited)
As I mentioned in another thread my 1/11/13 order finally arrived (after a CF of communications over the past three weeks as to exactly where the truck was and why Benecia terminal wouldn't put it on a car carrier) at the dealer yesterday (3/27/13) and the salesman delivered it to my house per my request.

So far, only sat in it, updated the UConnect (https://rsur.extra.chrysler.com/rsur/Uconnect.do), and drove it around the block at 20 mph.

My perspective is coming out of a '11 Cayenne Turbo, and this is the first US "nameplate" I've bought in 25 years, so you understand what I'm basing my comments on.

More comments later but initial comments are:

• The paint color and quality is really good! The pearlescent/metalflake look is frankly stunning in the sun. It is really sparkly...lol.
  • The Copperhead Two-Tone is beautiful. I was worried (ugly copper color like the GM pickups), but it is just a gorgeous color in person.
  • I'm a no-nonsense guy, not into chrome at all. The chrome on this looks great. I really like it.
  • The interior surfaces are hard, this is a truck, no doubt.
  • The interior color I chose, the Canyon Brown/Light Frost Beige, looks great. The contrasting colors of the various pieces look great.
  • The UConnect (mine is 8.4AN) looks to be really well thought out and has some really cool features.
  • Seats are comfy, love the buckets.
  • The OE tri-fold bed cover seems at first glance to be flimsy, but maybe the material is very tough? Time will tell.
  • Storage compartments all over the place. Tons of freakin storage. If you can't put all your crap in here with half the room to spare, you are a hoarder, go get professional help.
  • The air suspension is exactly like what is on my $$$ Cayenne.
  • The 8-speed transmission is exactly like what is on my $$$ Cayenne.
  • The wheels are funky, as other have mentioned, the "chrome" is some kind of plastic cover. If you tap on it, it moves around and sounds plasticky. I'm afraid to look at what is underneath.
  • I regret not spec'ing the Remote Start, would be perfect for summer A/C precool. Don't know what I was thinking. Argh!
Overall, I'm impressed and like it a lot. I'm going to debadge it as much as possible today and install the Bedrug Bedmat liner.

Some pics below and I'll post some more later.

Attachments

See less See more
#4 ·
beautiful truck. keep in mind this "place holder post" will only be active for 24 hours, then you won't be able to edit it.

#7 ·
Great looking truck, nice post/pictures. From looking at your window sticker, it appears you received a German 8 speed transmission. Congrats!

#12 ·
Love the color. How much quicker is it off the line with the 8 spd?

#26 · (Edited)
Thanks for the comments guys. Sorry, but I did not get additional pics up :-( Crazy busy past two days.

Nothing to relate it to other than my Cayenne. There is no hesitation, 1st is a very low gear.

Congratulations !!! can't wipe that grin off of your face now, heheh

Great pictures too, you have the best shots of the lower center stack, that i have yet seen

How do you like the backup camera & does it display on the radio ?

Is the Shifter Knob a hassle ? or would it be an issue if you had to wear gloves ??

Maybe it is a good thing that your 8 speed is out of Germany, it definitely can't be a bad thing
Back up camera is great, it uses the "guidance lines" that shift side to side as you turn the wheel when in reverse. Makes it easy to back into the garage as I get used to the exterior dimensions. I wish it had front parking sensors, it is hard to tell where the corners are. I'll get used to it soon enough but would have been a nice insurance policy for tight spaces.

Shifter knob is nicely knurled and feels great on the fingers and has a good feel to the detents. Gloves would be no problem, it is just a turn, not a press and turn or anything nutty. Weird to use a knob, but it works great, and I'll get used to that quickly as well. Makes sense to remove a bulky shifter from the console.

The center display in the dash is awesome! You scroll to the different screens from a steering wheel button. The presentation is bright and intuitive. The trailer brake controller settings are really nice! Everything is integrated into the dash display and the center stack display. The whole UConnect setup is first class and light years ahead of the Cayenne.

The OE Alpine sound system is a 9/10 vs the 10/10 Burmester in the Cayenne (which is best I've ever heard, bar none). I can't imagine anyone not being happy with the Alpine. Great clear highs, and a solid bass without being boomy. The surround setting is awesome.

Does the tri-fold cover lock?
There is no key lock. It has two clamps on either side in back and two more in the front, that is what holds it on. Once it folds up, there are two snap attachments to hold it folded. I think you can drive with it folded, but personally I'd remove and put in the bed. It's heavy, maybe 30-40 lbs!

Where/how can you tell on the window sticker the transmission is from Germany? It doesn't say "buy" next to it but at the bottom it has "DE". Is the "DE" the tip off?
$500 extra charge.

Great looking truck thanks for sharing the pictures
You are welcome (to all of you)!

Other observations:

• The seat bottom cushion feel like sitting on a park bench. It's hard :-(
  • The leather used on the seats is slippery, ugh.
  • Seat heaters/ventilation are great! If you've never had this, you don't know what you are missing.
  • Can't get the GD Homelink to work. I've programmed a lot of these and mine does nothing (no reset, no program, no flashing light) no matter what I do. Anyone with '13 programmed them? Help!
  • The 8-speed is smooth as silk, Porsche and Audi have used these exact ZF units for years, you have nothing to worry about. Relax, enjoy.
  • Paint look and quality is just incredible. On par with anything from any manufacturer anywhere.
  • The manual shift of the 8-speed is done with two buttons on the steering wheel. That is also the only way to get a display of what gear it is in. Display occurs in the dash display, bottom right corner.
  • Air suspension is awesome! Again, if you have never had such a thing (Cayenne has had this exact same system for almost three years now) you don't know what you are missing or appreciate how cheap you are getting this great technology. Porsche financially rapes their customers mercilessly for 8-speed/Air Suspension/Good sound system.
  • The rear area seat bottoms in my Crewcab fold in various ways and have a plastic fold out flat floor. Someone took the time to think through this.
  • The brakes look tiny to my eyes. The rotors are like the size of a CD disk! Well, maybe not that small but I fear for the first time I pull a trailer :-( Someone needs to develop a big-brake kit I think?
I like everything about the truck other than lack of front parking sensors, seat bottom hardness and the slick as butter leather they used. I'd pay to have the damn seats re-covered if I knew who could do a quality job? Alcantara inserts could possibly fix them too.

Attachments

#13 ·
Good looking Truck!

#14 · (Edited)
Congratulations !!! can't wipe that grin off of your face now, heheh

Great pictures too, you have the best shots of the lower center stack, that i have yet seen

How do you like the backup camera & does it display on the radio ?

Is the Shifter Knob a hassle ? or would it be an issue if you had to wear gloves ??

Maybe it is a good thing that your 8 speed is out of Germany, it definitely can't be a bad thing

#15 ·
Looks awesome, RenoRam! Every time I see pics of the Copperhead Pearl color, it validates the fact that I made the right color choice. Glad you really like the 8 speed. I loved it on my test drive.

#17 ·
All you need is water to fill that swimming pool you have in your center console....lol
I kid:smileup:

Truck looks amazing.
I was thinking the same thing, what will I do with the sink hole in my console when I get it? It looks like a huge trash bin. They must have been in a hurry when they removed the shifter and just filled it in with another bin. They should have moved one of the cup holders to the other side, moved the media slots from inside the arm rest (I have a hard time seeing them in there) and then put a sliding cover over it like a roll top desk.

#34 ·
You're right, I spaced out and thought Reno's truck was a crew cab. I figure that if mine doesn't come with it, I'll be retrofitting one in there at some point.

Thanks for posting the pics Reno, nice truck!

Same here-I got excited there for a bit! Hard to tell what we'll need to retrofit our CC trucks with the fold flat floor.

Now that I'm looking for closely on edit, it doesn't appear the seat is involved at all really. Looks like it's just an attachment perhaps?

#36 ·
Reno, I feel the same as you about how nice these trucks are. The air ride and 8 speed are awesome. My leather seats aren't that slick. Maybe they used a conditioner on yours that made them slick? BTW. I programmed my homelink this afternoon and had no problems. Only thing I have done to mine so far is add some floor covers and Weathertech molded mud flaps. I have a rear lightbar and bed mat due in Monday.

#37 ·
Wow, Reno, wow!! That is one nice truck! I am glad to hear the paint is so nice after reading about bad Tundra and GM paint.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.