DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Have you experienced the torque converter problem?

• Yes, I had this problem and had or plan to have it fixed.

Votes: 191 30.5%
  • No, I have not noticed this problem.

Votes: 313 50.0%
  • I can't determine for sure if I have this problem.

Votes: 122 19.5%

Torque Converter Poll

130K views 453 replies 198 participants last post by  freezer16801 
#1 ·
If you have a 4th gen Ram (2009-present) and either have or have not had an issue with the reported grinding noise, please vote in the poll. My intent is to see how widespread this issue is among forum members.

As for me, I can tell for sure because my Magnaflow cat back exhaust upgrade is the dominant noise I hear (when my radio is not blaring). So I am having a hard time determining if I have this issue.

#430 · (Edited)
Torque converter lock up shudder...still persists with new RL051146AB Torque Converter!

I had the drone issue with my 2011 Ram 1500, had the Torque converter replaced for the annoying drone with a R8051146AB (Re-man converter). Then the shudder started to appear when the torque converter clutch locked up, brought it in to get it replaced. So the dealer replaced the torque converter with a RL051146AB (new) torque converter. But when I am going on an exit on the highway (coming from 100 kms/hr) to coast down to the exit speed limit of 70 kms/hr, then to maintain the exit speed (70 kms/hr) by lightly applying throttle on a down hill grade exit, the shudder appears then disappears (the process of the clutch locking up). What the heck is going on? They replaced the torque converter with supposedly a new one, doesn't shudder as severe, or as often as the re-man converter did. But why is there still a shudder when the clutch is locking up, (like running over rumble strips). My dealer refuses to change the converter again, and it did not act up when they were recently diagnosing the truck for the shudder again. It is aggregating! As soon as I came home that day from the dealer replacing my torque converter with the new one (RL051146AB), coming off the exit ramp of the highway at (110 km/hr) to coast down (slight down hill to 70 kms/hr), and maintain speed (70 kms/hr) with light tap from the throttle, the shudder would happen. Funny thing is if I have it in Tow/Haul mode, no shudder at all! WTF!

#431 ·
I have a 2014 ram 1500 Laramie 4x4 and I get a vibration at 2000/2100 rpms. it has 1400 miles on it and has been doing this since new. I called dealer and service advisory told me they had a 2014 ram 1500 I previous week and they determined it is the characteristic of the truck. I am not buying it. need some help please!!!

#432 ·
Do you have the 8-speed trans?

This thread relates to a T/C noise issue that was present on 2010-2011 trucks with 6-speed trans. That issue was fixed effective with 2012 MY.

I believe there is a thread in the 2014 forum concerning the noise / vibration at ~2000 RPM. I don't have an answer on the cause (or cure) of that particular issue, but you might want to post in that thread instead.

#433 ·
I hear a noise coming from the right passenger side of the engine when the MDS/eco light is wanting to come on and when in eco mode when the engine is forcing like going up a small hill I get a lot of vibrations untill 8 cylinders kick in then it's smooth. Does this sound like the converter issue or just the MDS?

#436 ·
did anyone ever had TC replaced on second hand Ram?

I know powertrain warranty is valid until 100k whether you are the original owner or not but more or so how dealer would take it if you bought the truck at a non dodge dealer.

my 2010 sport is sitting at 91K km and I hear the noise but not sure how helpful dodge dealers are going to be on a vehicle that was not bought from them.

#437 · (Edited)
I'm glad I found this thread. I picked up mu 2011 last week and while driving in to work on Sunday I noticed a noise and very slight vibration at around 1500 rpm. If I feather the throttle I can get it to come and go. But it is constant in that rpm range at about 30-45mph

Does this sound like the TC issues discussed in this thread?

#440 · (Edited)
Hi Airportff, I am experiencing exactly what your experiencing. Did the dealer find out what was wrong? Or did they tell you it was normal? Is there and update, or TSB to the Shudder on light throttle to maintain 70 kms per hr? Supposedly it is a known issue, any updates of fixes yet? TCC and MDS shudder at the same time causes shudder under light throttle application at around 70 kms/hr, anyone? I found this post in the Dodge talk forum, anyone have similar symptoms?

Joined: Jul 2003Posts: 19City: CincinnatiState: OHStatus: Online

Post #1

I started this threat here (http://***************/forum/4th-gen-...own-issue.html) under "Getting some drivetrain vibrations" but decided I should start a new one tiled better to reflect the issue - to better help anyone else searching or having this issue

In essence at specific points in acceleration, usually the mid and near shift points, I get vibrations. Giving steady slight gas (like driving at steady speed in traffic), then accelerate a little I'm getting noticeable vibrations.

So took it dealer several times and after invoking Dodge resolution group, the service manager who was very helpful, and 5 start master tech team dealers call, I got a final statement.

They said "This shutter is a known issue and is caused by the MDS and TCC (torque converter control) activating at the same time. We are aware of the widely reported problem but have no resolution available at this time."

Two options: gun it and drive fast all the time or learn to live with a shutter/droan in your $30,000 truck.

#441 ·
They said it was normal. The tech took it for a ride then came back and picked me up and let me drive it. Just to make sure that what he heard was what I was talking about. He said that it was fine and it was the TC locking up. Just doesn't sound right to me. I have a friend from high school that is a service manager at another dealership. I'm going to try to swing by there near the end of the week.

#442 ·
If you have a 4th gen Ram (2009-present) and either have or have not had an issue with the reported grinding noise, please vote in the poll. My intent is to see how widespread this issue is among forum members.

As for me, I can tell for sure because my Magnaflow cat back exhaust upgrade is the dominant noise I hear (when my radio is not blaring). So I am having a hard time determining if I have this issue.
No grinding noise for me:smileup:
Only 16K on my new girl..

#444 ·
Hmm... I have this noise, starts around 1400-1500 RPM at very light throttle. If I downshift, it goes away; if I let off the throttle, it goes away. With the issue I have with the 4wd shifting on its own, I thought it was the front diff or transfer case, but it doesn't necessarily correspond to the 4wd flaking out. So now I wonder... I don't notice any difference in how the truck drives while it's making the noise, but I should probably have this checked out once the 4wd issue is fixed.

#445 ·
I had my TC bolts come loose and caused a serious rattling grinding noise when I pressed on the gas pedal (of course) at lower rpm. Drove it right to the dealer and they new right away what the problem was after I described what was going on lol. This happened under 20,000km. Been good ever since.

#448 ·
TC problem

My 2011 ram 1500 5.7l has every symptom of a bad tc. this truck is not under warranty. Is this a problem that dodge did a recall on? What was the cost of replacement? And has the replacement tc been changed or will I be having the same problem going forward. Thanks

#451 · (Edited)
My truck for the last 50,000 miles or so makes a ratcheting noise. I wouldn't really call it a grinding noise. Def more of a ratchet. But it always does it around the 2-35 mph range. Too much wind noise to tell if it does it at a faster speed. If you shift into neutral it goes away. If you enable tow mode it goes away. If you manual downshift it goes away. If you let the speed drop to below 20 or so it goes away. I has not gotten worse over the years. My warranty expires in two days.

Do you think my issue is the issue you all are talking about or is this the MDS noise? It usually stops every single time at 20mph even though eco still shows on. Sometimes it'll go down to about 15mph before the noise stops. Engine rpm is always 800-900 when this noise occurs.

** update- nevermind it is the mds noise upon further research.

#453 ·
I have a noise (vibration or shudder). Could someone point me to a thread that describes this issue, or explain it.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.