DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How should I fix these scratches (I don't want them to rust)!

• Do nothing. It may not rust, if it does then refinish it later. $0

Votes: 0 0.0%

Scratch Repair: Opinions Needed

5K views 14 replies 10 participants last post by  mj2011crew 
#1 · (Edited)
I need help deciding how to get these scratches repaired. About 6-8 scratches travelling 12 inches down the side of the lower door passenger panel. I don't know how they got there :doh:.

A couple of the scratches toward the front are deep enough that my nail catches on them (so they break the clear coat).

I am not too concerned with the appearance of scratches (I frankly don't mind them at all) but I DON'T WANT THIS TO START RUSTING AS RAMS ARE NOTORIOUS FOR RUSTING ON THE LOWER DOOR PANELS.

There are three options:

A) Buff out the more superficial scratches and fill in the remainder $140.00 at my local scratch / dent removal shop

B) Refinish the lower portion of the door panel. Sand it down, repaint, and new clearcoat $270.00. The drawback is there would be a slight "blend line."

c) Just fill them in the best I can with touch up paint from dealer. If it rusts in a couple of years, then just suck it up and refinish the door panel (as in option B).

Hey guys, I thank you all for your opinions and time to help me out here. :smileup:

Attachments

See less See more
#2 ·
well A) seems like the reasonable option. but if you really don't mind the look of it you can always go with C) first and see how things go. if you aren't happy with the touch up paint you can always go back and re-evaluate your choices and go with A).

B) should be a last resort, or like you said wait until rust begins.

#3 ·
Honestly if it were me, I would go with option B. I'd rather deal with a less obvious blend line than a series of scratches. IMO, worth it to bite the bullet in the short term and be done with it. Whichever way you go, though, you might consider some of the 3M protective film after your repair so hopefully that will be the end of it.

- Cajun

#4 ·
you might consider some of the 3M protective film after your repair so hopefully that will be the end of it.

- Cajun
Where can I find out more about this 3M film..... ? Is it something I can apply easily or is it a professional shop service? Does it prevent rust and where on the vehicle should it be applied? What should it cost?

I'm still in debate as to what best to do with the scratches at this point. Thanks for the advice thus far guys.

#5 ·
I checked back through a few threads and this was the only one that really gave some good info on the 3M film since I don't have it myself, though I wish I did: http://www.ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=64059&highlight=film. GT posted a link where you can read about it and how it's done. Hope this helps some.

- Cajun

#7 ·
I agree with the others that recommend option B. I also agree with the 3M clear protectant. I have used it on all my vehicles in the last 10 years, and will continue to use it. I have it professionally installed at an auto trim dealer. I have it covering all four fenders in the wheel lip, from the trim line down behind all wheels and on the front doors, in the door sills and a patch above the tailgate handle as well as the front edge of the rear bumper. Anyplace I have noticed paint damage from road debris on other trucks. I get my trucks done the day I pick them up so they are protected from day 1. :smileup:

#11 ·
If the scratches do not go through the clear coat, I've had some success with a pen that I bought at an auto parts store that fills the scratch with a clear ink?? that cures in sunlight. If it does go through, then maybe partially fill the scratch with a color touch up, then use the pen to finish it up..

Good luck on this. I go balistic when I find scratches like these and fix them as good as I can so they don't show as much.

Andy

#12 ·
Fill scratches in with quality paint (not touch up crap), several layers, sand/feather smooth with surrounding clear-coat, shot geberal area with clear, feather with very low grit paper and buff. Good as new. Should cost you no more than materials, and an afternoon. I'd call this a 12 pack project myself...just saying. :beerchug:

#13 ·
Fill scratches in with quality paint (not touch up crap), several layers, sand/feather smooth with surrounding clear-coat, shot geberal area with clear, feather with very low grit paper and buff. Good as new. Should cost you no more than materials, and an afternoon. I'd call this a 12 pack project myself...just saying.

:iagree: I think this is a great suggestion. :beerchug:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.