DODGE RAM FORUM banner

78 powerwagon grumpy!

2K views 9 replies 5 participants last post by  mopar.rumble 
#1 ·
Still having intermittent problems with "78 dodge powerwagon! Starts fine, idles good (once warmed up), drives good to first location. After I stop, turn engine off, let it sit awhile, go to start back up will not start. Starter replaced, battery replaced, fuel pump replaced, spark plugs replaced, Carb taken off and cleaned very well (float and jets work well), replaced carb gasket, air filter. So if I spray starter fluid in throat, starts up immediately, couple of pushes of gas petal and its ready for its next trip. Help! this problem has been plaguing me since I bought the truck!!!! Maybe a combustion problem. How can I fix that??? It idles and runs decent after it starts. I really want to be able to trust this truck to get me from pt A to pt B and then back again!

#2 ·
also note: Just ran powerwagon again. One additional problem piece to the puzzle is this time I ran it hard, lots of gas, lots of accerleration. Stopped it, turned it off, went to restart...the usual no start. Sprayed starter fluid in throat of carb......this is a new symptom, this time I could get it to run for about 10 seconds and as it tried to die and I gave gas so it would stay running and sounded like the carb was just sucking air, but fizzled out and died. Now even starter fluid wont work!!!!!

#6 ·
Okay! I already replaced the fuel pump earlier,...I thought that might of been the issue because it sounded like it wasnt getting enough gas....this was after I removed the carb and gave it a good soak/cleaning and checked floats and jets. I thought maybe a vacum issue because the old fuel pump actually wasn't mounted tight due to a stripped out threads in block. I retapped slightly larger when I put on new fuel pump to give it a tighter seal. It is not an edelbrook carb. It is a carter BBD 2bbi model#8147s. In response to the last post, timing I havent checked yet, but it does spin normally as starter is engaged at first cold start of day and yes it spins slower and is labored after it warms up and I try to start again later! sounds like you are on to something!!

#7 ·
Also, I just remembered, when I first got the truck and I thought maybe it was a starter issue because I thought the starter was old and getting too hot from the heat from the exhaust manifold, so I also replaced that. This problem has been rearing its ugly head from the beginning. Starts, runs good, go somewhere, stop, difficulty starting and running after initial start/stop. Have to do everything possible to keep engine from stalling at stop signs/deceleration. Once stopped and engine off.....hard/no start!!!

#9 · (Edited)
The thing I'm thinking is that the ignition base timing is just a bit too much. When this is the case, they start easier when cold than when hot. Just loosen the distributor hold down bolt a little, then give the distributor a slight twist (clockwise). Snug the hold down bolt and take a ride. Get back home and do a hot restart. See if it's any different. If it starts somewhat better, you can always bump it a little more and see if it's even better. Just make the adjustments in small increments. You can always reverse this easily and tune by ear. Could be something else, but I've seen this before on older carb'd setups.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.