DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Octane boost and Predator

2K views 6 replies 5 participants last post by  CdnoilRAM 
#1 ·
Ok guys, here is a question for the experts. Here in Arizona we can only get up to 91 octane, other than racing fuel of course. I would like to run the 93 tune on my truck and take full advantage of the Predator, so my question is, if I fill the truck with the 91 octane and then add an octane boost, such as Prestone, will that work? According to Prestone their octane boost adds up to 10 points, but I don't want to take a risk without asking others opinions on this. Thanks in advance guys, I know one of you out there will know the answer to this.

#2 ·
If you have 91, use the 91 tune. Dont use an octane booster, its never the same. If you want to run 100 pump for the 93 tune, go for it although its still a waste.

You wont notice alot between the 91/93 tune anyways, not enough to warrant buying a octane booster every fill up lol.

And if you wanted to do that, just buy Toluene and add that :D

#3 ·
Yeah, buying racing fuel would be a pain and expensive for such little gain. Plus, you can't put it directly in the vehicle, you have to put it in a gas can then put it in the vehicle later. I was just hoping to take advantage of everything I could from the programmer since it cost so much, but if there is not that much difference then no sense going through the extra steps and expense. Thanks for the response. One other question, what is Toluene? Never heard of that one.

#4 ·
I've tried both the 93 & 91 tunes in my car and I much preferred the 91 tune results. And you can tweak on that tune for some improvements.

An octane booster is never a consistent method to add an octane value to the fuel and if the mix is considerably different, you could lean out the engine, have serious detonation issues and you do not want that. So go with tune that matches up to your available fuel rating.

One thing to consider is getting a CMR tune done. It's amazing what kind a gains an authorized DS tuner can extract from your vehicle without putting it at risk.

#7 ·
One thing that is little know but helps with improving the octane rating of fuel is a fuel catalyst. The octane rating is an average of the whole fuel supply, but this doesn't take into account the octane breakdown due to storage. So over time, as fuel sits in either your tank or the storage compartment of a gas station, it slowly breaks down and results in a lower quality filled with contaminants. A catalyst system will remove most of these impurities and improve the fuel's quality. The Fitch system is documented to add at least 1 MPG as well as improve the fuel quality. If you run 91, then you should still run the 91 tune, however, I've heard of people running the 93 tune and 91 fuel with the catalyst. I first heard about the system in a Truckin' test, and they did see gains on the dyno AND added MPGs over the long run. Here's the fitch link
http://www.fitchcatalyst.com/performance_test_results.php

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.