DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Did I buy a lemon?

2K views 10 replies 10 participants last post by  emmyshemi 
#1 ·
3 weeks ago I bought a new Ram 1500 TRX4 with the 5.7. Now, the day before I got this truck I have to admit I did buy a 2010 Chevy Z71. I really didn't like it at all. The next morning I went to National Dodge in Jacksonville in N.C. I talked to a sales person and was told I could get a better deal on a new 2011 Ram. So I took the Chevy back. I got back to National dodge and got started. I may have screwed myself from the start by telling the sales men that I do have a TBI (Traumatic Brain Injure) I got in Iraq. I said this to let him know I am easley confused at times and I may ask the same question a few times.
Ok now to the Ram. The salesmen told me they had rebates on all 2011's. So I asked what I would get for my trade-ins. He told me after talking about the 2011 line I needed to pick a truck I want, to start the process. I was taken to the lot and shown 4 Rams. I picked the TRX4. We started all the paper work and got the ball rolling. They gave me $11,000 for my 2004 Dodge ram and $4,000 for my Chevy Suburban K1500 4X4. After working out all the numbers we came up with an amount to put down and $5,500 that would come to me.
About 5 days after the deal was done I asked about my $5,500 check. I was told it was only $5,000. I asked why the change and was told it was never going to come to me. I my forget some things but I know that was not true. Well after I got the truck I took it on base for the first time. I had to get a temporary pass. I filled it out as a 2011 Dodge Ram. The next day I was looking at the owners manual and was confused to see it was for a 2010. I called National Dodge to ask if I could get the manual that should have come with my 2011 Ram. Then I was told something that truly knocked me off me feet. The salesmen said "You got a 2010 man". Ok so that is one problem now to the lemon question.
The day I took the truck home the radio started going out after hitting small bumps in the road. I took it back and was told a new radio was put on order. As soon as the radio came in I took the truck in. It took most of the day. About 2 days later I had a problem with my A/C so I took it in. I was told the A/C control unit was put on order. After about 3 days of getting my Ram back with the A/C control module on order, my hazard lights stopped working. The next day my 120 volt plug on the dash also stopped working. I took the truck in to get this fixed. I was asked why not wait tell the A/C part comes in and do it all at once. I said the hazard lights is a safety feature. So I took it in again and got it back the next day. Now the left side running board is falling off and my A/C part is still on order.
I was called by someone at Chrysler about this matter. She asked me a few questions. I explained to her that if I turn around and sell this truck in a few years it will be worth less with all the mantance that has been done on it with under 2,000 miles on it. She said she is going to get me an extended warranty to 80,000 as compensation. I was ok with that. She told me she would call me the next day, that was Monday last week. I called Chrysler and no one knows who she is. The number she gave me is out of service. So now I'm going on a month, my Ram has been the shop 5 times and scheduled for another. I got blown off by Chrysler and left with a truck that should have been a 2011 but is a 2010 and it is falling apart. It's like every day there is a new rattle or tick in the eng.
What do I do? I think Dodge should take the truck back. From the day I got this Ram it has not performed as advertised.

If someone out there knows what I can do I beg you for the information. As of now this is my only transportation. I have a wife and 3 kids. It is very hard making time to take this truck in to get fixed so much.
Again, if anyone can help I would be very grateful. I am going to post my email and cell if anyone would like to email me or text me.
phrogs4eve4@charter.net Cell 910 378 6729
Thank you for your time
R.S.
Young G.W.
P.S. I still don't have my check

See less See more
#2 ·
Wow, sounds like the dealer there is shitting on you and they need to make it right. Go to the dealer and talk to the GM not his lackies. If that doesn't work then come back with your platoon like I did a long time ago and have everyone stand in the showroom and with your command voice say I need someone to fix my truck NOW! That was a long time ago at the Chevy dealer on Marine Blvd and it worked out real good and my truck was placed on a priority repair and I got it back the next day. Can't even remember exactly what was wrong but I do recall their service department saying it would be a week or two before I could get my truck serviced again. That episode cost me a few cases of beer at my house afterwards, but was worth it. It was funny as hell when we all filed into the showroom.

#3 ·
Did you actually call Chrysler Customer Assistance or was it a different department? They can help you with the problems with the truck but some of the problems are going to be between you and the dealer. As for the tick, that's normal for a Hemi engine. The runniing boards were installed at the dealership and I can about guarantee that was sloppy work by whoever did the install. Since this is your only transportation and it IS under the 3/36k warranty, INSIST that they put you in a loaner or rental at their expense if they have to keep it overnight.

#4 ·
Don't they have the 60 day promise now take it back

#5 · (Edited)
Good Morning Young,
I have just a few questions to ask as I have worked for a couple dealerships in the finance and warranty departments.

1) When negotiating all terms of purchase, did you sign the buyers order? You know the famous, "If we can meet your payments and my sales mgr agrees to this price and terms (all listed on the buyers order), will you buy it? Just sign here agreeing to buy the truck." On that buyers order there should be all the conditions of the sale. The year, make, model, down payment, monthly payments and possibly an interest rate.
-If you have that, there's document number one for your defense IF it is written as you agreed.

2) You needed to insure the vehicle before driving it off the lot once you entered the finance portion of the sale. What does your insurance have listed as the year, make, model? Who contacted your insurance company to make these changes and what paperwork was provided to your insurance company so that a binder was guaranteed for delivery of your Ram?
-Again, more documentation to use (Especially if it was someone from the dealership that faxed the paperwork to your insurance company).

3) What bank did you obtain your financing through? Was it a private bank or the dealerships choosing? What, SIGNED by you, paperwork was sent to that bank?
-Yep, you guessed it, more documentation.

4) Lastly and most importantly, when you went through finance and signed all your paperwork, what vehicle did you sign for? What were the financial terms of the purchase? Did they match the buyers order agreement? Was there a mention of the $5,500? Or was the $5,500 applied to the purchase of the vehicle in error (which I am suspecting)? Where is all the paperwork you received when you signed for and took delivery of your truck? What does it reflect? Having bought a 2010 Z71, I would imagine there was a large amount of negative equity unless you put down a $10,000 or more down payment. I am going out on a limb and wondering if your $5,500 was used to absorb some of that difference.
A couple of other key things for your review; do you have the MSRP from the window that matches your truck? Check out Dodges website to verify all the rebates applicable for your particular truck; did you receive them all? Does your financing match the price of the truck or hopefully a little lower? Is this Ram new or used? Was it a dealer demo/program truck? How long did it sit on the lot? Does this particular Dodge dealer maintain a good business ethic with the public under BBB guidelines or Dodge's standards to be a 5 star dealer?

In the end it will all come down to what you signed for. So my suggestion is to review the ONLY the paperwork with your signature. As for the young lady you spoke with at Chrysler, that I can't help you because it makes no sense. Chrysler, or so I would presume, isn't in the business of shutting down phone lines to avoid irritated customers. From what I have read (red) there is a large amount of either miscommunication or misunderstanding. I do think I would attempt to take a more knowledgable friend with you to the dealer and like, UltraFLame said, speak with the GM. Have him slowly walk you through the steps that were taken during your transaction. Kindly explain that you don't understand and need some clarity. Make sure you have all of your paperwork and an idea of what you would like the end results to be.

Thank you for sticking it out with Dodge although this experience doesn't seem as pleasant for you as we would all like it to be. Not all Dodges are garbage and not all dealers are slimballs. I am sure a resolution can be reached if both parties are patient and listen respectfully to each other. Best of luck and keep us updated.

Most importantly, THANK YOU FOR YOUR SERVICE and God speed on your healing. I truly wish you the best for your health!

#6 · (Edited)
If all else fails, I would contact one of your local TV stations and let them know how this dealer screwed on of our servicemen. They would just eat that up, and I bet when that TV crew shows up at the dealership, you'll get taken care of post haste!!!

And thank you for you service to our country!!!

#8 ·
I had similar problems with my Ram here is what I did

I wrote thousands and thousands of bad reviews to everywhere on the internet.. and even in different countries about the dealership.. I finally got their attention and am getting phone calls from them now. Here is what I wrote and it's all true.

Treat you like ROYALTY before you buy.. but after they get your money.. they treat you like dirt. In my opinion I think they should have to go to court for what they have and are doing to us. My husband and I are completely furious with them. They made me feel bad and won't help us with our truck that we purchased there costing us over 44 thousand dollars!! Definitely NOT a -customer is always right- kind of dealership. Go anywhere else.. but not GRESHAM DODGE.. We feel that Andrew Suvanvej is all talk and really plays the gum chewing salesman role. I feel he is too young to run a dealership and lacks experience and certain skills to help retain customers. Mr. Knutzen in the Service Department played the -my hands are tied card- Ya right. Just fix the truck like you are supposed to do under warranty. My husband and I will not ever go back. This has been a 2 year ordeal and we are 100% completely done with them. Try Tonkin or someone else. In all my years of dealing with people they take the cake. Just remember that they treat you like DIRT after you buy. Also that African American Dorian Boyland owner is a real piece of work too... Looks like he has upset people all over the place. Do your home work and buy from a dealership with a good reputation.. or else you will find yourself writing bad reviews like I am right now. With all sincerity we are very upset with them and don't want other to experience the same thing we felt. My husband and I are extremely fair and forgiving, if they even made some attempt in a repair I wouldn't have written this review. We have 9 seperate items that need attention. They won't honor a single one of them.

I just copy and paste this everywhere I can to reduce their sales quota and keep people from getting hurt there. Seems to be working but my truck still isn't repaired either.. I have been getting phone calls and they wanted me to bring in the truck!!.. so that's something.. maybe if I do it enough they will finally get the picture.. I think you should try this also... be sure to name names and describe how you feel.

Damon Lehr

#9 ·
Sales Manager just called

The sales manager of Gresham Dodge just called me... he is very upset.. called me a liar on the phone!! If you can believe that. Of course my statements are 100% true.. He must be getting heat from others that are reading my posts... well.. all I can say is the more it hurts the sooner my truck will get fixed.. 55% of all people check dealer reviews before purchasing so they really keep their finger on the pulse of the review sites. You can also open up a case with the consumer protection agency and or the BBB (better business bureau).. People search there to find out information about dealers also.

Good LUCK!!..

#10 ·
I would get the BBB, & AAA, online or phone in a complaint

also contact & file with this agency
http://www.ncdoj.com/getdoc/fdbee1c7-c2a9-4f67-91b2-bb50beea1c0a/2-2-12.aspx

then if nothing is done, you can get the media involved, just make sure everything is in order, as mentioned above

you could get a student studying to be a paralegal to go through the papers

I wish you all the best

#11 ·
GRUMPEZ said it best..If you want quick action..call the local TV station,, They will bend over backward to help a Iraq vet, snd I promise you the dealer will make it right...RIGHT away. The media will have them sprinting to help you.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.