DODGE RAM FORUM banner

How-To: Installing Power Tailgate Lock

59K views 68 replies 48 participants last post by  tekin 
#1 ·
How to install Mopar Power Tailgate Lock Actuator (P/N 82211668-AB) on your 2009 Dodge RAM 1500

1. Disconnect Negative battery cable

2. Remove access cover on tailgate (8 T25 Torx).

3. Disconnect the actuator rods at the handle.

4. Remove the 2 nuts (5/16” socket) while holding the handle. (handle may fall out if you don’t hold it)

5. Remove actuator and Handle from tailgate.

6. Remove the 2 bolts (5/16” socket) holding the lock cylinder and remove cylinder

7. Drill 2 5/32” holes in the corners at location shown

8. Rivet the small bracket with the supplied rivets’ as shown.

9. Mount the power lock actuator to the supplied bracket with the supplied T20 Torx bolts.

10. Now for the tricky part. Put the lock cylinder in the handle but do not bolt it in. insert the power lock actuator rod into the bracket that was riveted on the lock actuator arm. Then insert then handle into the tail gate and then the power actuator/actuator . Note that the power lock actuator bracket will go over the lock cylinder and one of the studs in the handle.

11. Loosely put the 2 nuts that hold the handle to the actuator.

12. Install the 2 bolts that hold the lock cylinder .

13. Tighten the 2 nuts holding the handle and re-attach the actuator rods.

14. Plug the actuator (tailgate) harness into the actuator and clip it inside the tailgate. See instructions for the 2 locations as the flash is broken on my camera. LOL

15. Connect the jumper harness to the tailgate harness. Route the harness from the rear to the driver’s side fender and to the TIPM. I secured mine near the receiver so I have easy access to unplug it if I need to remove the tail gate. I routed the harness along the frame keeping it away from exhaust and suspension components. Tie-wrapped it pretty much the whole way to the brake lines.

See less See more
#2 ·
16. Remove cover TIPM. Remove the B+ terminal nut (green arrow) from the TIPM and remove the B+ cable. Release the 5 tabs holding the TIPM to the battery tray, lift it out and turn upside down.

18. Remove the connector C5 (Letter E) pulling straight out. Then remove the black cover.

19. Cut the jumper harness to length leaving enough to go below the TIPM when its reinstalled.

20. Find the Tan/Light Blue (cavity 18) and Tan/Dark Blue (Cavity 22) wires and cut them about half way between the plug and where they enter the harness.

21. There are connectors supplied with the kit but I did not use them as I don’t have the proper crimp tool for the clips. I stripped all the wires, then Tinned all the wires. Place a 1.25” strip of shrink tube over one of the TN/LB wires & solder the TN/LB wires back together along with the Red wire from Jumper Harness. Place a 1.25” strip of shrink tube over one of the TN/DB wires & solder the TN/DB wires back together along with the Black wire from Jumper Harness. Instructions say White/Pink & Black/Dark Blue for the jumper harness but the wires in my kit were red & black.

22. Slide the shrink tube over the soldered parts and temporarily plug the C5 connector back in, install the B+ cable and nut and connect the negative battery cable. Lock/Unlock the vehicle to verify the wires are connected correctly. (if not, reverse the Red, black wires.

23. Disconnect negative battery cable, B+ nut and cable, disconnect the C5 plug again.. Heat the shrink tube until you see the glue coming out.

24. Reinstall the black cover for the C5 connector and plug it back it in.
25. Reinstall TIPM, B+ Cable/Nut, tailgate access cover and negative battery cable.
26. Remove tailgate key from Keychain and enjoy :smileup:

#26 ·
Installed my automatic tailgate lock today, following your instructions. The heads up regarding colour coating of the wire really helped.
Thanks for the excellant step by step instructions. Works like a charm and yes, if you set your truck for 1 click for driver door and second for rest of doors, it works withe the rest of the doors. Set mine back to all doors at ones as far as unlocking is concerned.
Well worth the expense. Bought mine in the US, much cheaper than Canada.

#4 · (Edited by Moderator)
So does the tailgate lock/unlock each time you lock/unlock the doors or did the kit come with a remote mod to add another button function to your remote?

Great write-up/documentation, by the way!

#5 ·
Awesome How-to! Rep for that!

#6 ·
It works great!! Basically it uses your normal remote and is wired to the lock/unlock wires for your doors. every time I lock/unlock with remote, it will lock/unlock.

I have mine set up to unlock all doors with one press. so it unlocks when I press unlock on the remote. Tomorrow I will change it to unlock the driver door on first press and the other doors on the second press and post if it unlock on the first or second press.

I will also try lock and unlock with the switch on the doors and see if it lock/unlock that way as well.

#8 ·
What did it do? First or second?

#11 ·
iRockCrawler, Awesome write-up. Thanks for taking the extra time while installing to take pictures. Lack of a power locking tailgate was one of a very short list of things disappointing on this truck. I installed the BakFlip, the power lock is just what I need.
I'll be using your instuctions to guide me through it.

#12 ·
So I finally checked exactly how it works.. LOL forgot yesterday...

With Remote:
1st press unlocks drivers door only.
2nd press unlocks all doors and tailgate.

If you set it to unlock all doors on first press the tailgate unlocks at that time.

As for the door switches, lock will lock everything including tailgate and unlock will unlock everything including tailgate.

#13 · (Edited)
Great "How To". I think this should be saved somehow. Perhaps moved to the "Dodge Ram Knowledge Base" forum or reposted there? It would be a shame for all your work to be lost into the archives of the 2009 forum.

#14 ·
Just wanted to take a moment to say thank you for this write up. I recently installed the power lock kit along with a factory back up camera and the allgig. My power lock kit didn't come with instructions. Your write up and pics really made it easy. Thanks again.

#19 ·
Another thank you!

Just wanted to say thanks again for the great write up. I installed my power lock kit today and the pictures and descriptions were a big help.

Now to decide on a tonneau cover. Then an RER and backup camera. Wish I had thought of it before I did all that work today...

Thanks again!

Joe

#20 ·
nice write up & pix, even better than the one i saw on dodgeforum, when i was just trying to find the parts for a normal locking tailgate, namely that big black plastic piece on the locking mechanism, i & the parts dept. didn't know what was missing, finally pulled the tailgate panel on a ram that had a locking tailgate & camera
i don't like the camera, an object 6 inches away, looks like it is 6 feet away, but, good for checking the parking lot before backing up

#23 ·
Just finished my install of the kit, unfortunately with no success! Now none of the power door locks will work, nor will my front windows. I'm thinking it has to be a relay related to the RKE, since the RKE will power down the front windows if you hold down the unlock button. Not quite sure why it won't work. I followed the instructions here and reviewed the docs with the kit. I checked the connection against an DVM and get continuity from plug terminal to wire.

Unless I have a bad wire in the loom of the kit?? Dunno. Open to suggestions. I'm headed over to Dodge now, although service is closed for today and chat with the salesman being this is a brand new 2010 Laramie.

EDIT: I don't consider myself a noob here, being this is my 4th Ram and swapped over from the NitroForumz.

#24 ·
UPDATE: Dealership said the module is blown, which one they did not say, but part is ordered and now without a truck for two days. Did get a loaner via the warranty. In the meantime, my painted bug guard and Bilsteins arrived today. Now if I only had the truck to put them on.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.