DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Color change?

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  HEMI5150 
#1 ·
Has anyone thought of having their trucks repainted a different color. Mine is the brilliant black. Hate the black but the deal was too sweet to pass up. Love the Ford's blue flame. Thinking of repainting, but hate the prep work involved. That's whats keeping me away from doing it? Anyone else? AhWW door jambs are the worst.

#3 ·
Has anyone thought of having their trucks repainted a different color. Mine is the brilliant black. Hate the black but the deal was too sweet to pass up. Love the Ford's blue flame. Thinking of repainting, but hate the prep work involved. That's whats keeping me away from doing it? Anyone else? AhWW door jambs are the worst.
I ended up getting a silver one and always wanted Black. Want to trade? LOL!!!

#4 ·
Not really. I've gotten where I like the red. but.....

I've been considering getting the interior trim pieces painted body color. I'm referring to all of the brushed aluminum looking pieces around the shifter, radio, and vents, and while I'm at it, getting the chrome trim ring around the console painted flat black to make the highly reflective piece that always reflects the sun up in to my eyes go away.

Exco

#5 ·
Not really. I've gotten where I like the red. but.....

I've been considering getting the interior trim pieces painted body color. I'm referring to all of the brushed aluminum looking pieces around the shifter, radio, and vents, and while I'm at it, getting the chrome trim ring around the console painted flat black to make the highly reflective piece that always reflects the sun up in to my eyes go away.

Exco
thats funny, i just started this project. I tried to paint them myself and spent about an hr on the first one and had a bug land on it and rip the paint up. so now im just going to take it and get them painted from a professional.

#7 ·
i have to repaint my 97 because the paint is looking poor, i think i will keep her red though

#8 ·
If you like Blue, check Dodge's Patriot Blue. :D They stopped selling trucks that color in 08 I think.

You're right about the prep work, its a HUGE PITA.

#11 ·
I agree with USAF ram. I manage a body shop and I always try and talk everyone out of changing colour. To do it right the truck needs to be stripped down to nothing / motor out and everything. It will be very expensive and will hugely affect your resale value. Its honestly cheaper to just buy the colour you want in the first place. Actually its probably still cheaper to trade for one the colour you want.

#16 ·
Back to your original paint post, your truck is black. If you wanted to repaint it that's perfect because all you have to do is the exterior & it won't look wrong with door jams, engine compartment etc. In fact, IMO it would be a nice touch.

#17 ·
Actually not painting the jambs, like in this case going to the ford's blue flame, would look awful. The job should be done right, I've done it with the engine installed before, but it is a chore. A task much none desired. Maybe I'll get sick and tired of the black later on and do the repaint. Keep in mind since I want the blue and its a lighter color the truck needs to be primered or sealed in a light sealer or primer such as white. Hence like I said a major task!!!

#18 ·
IMHO---Two colors should never be changed when repainting---white and Black. Once you have completely preped a vehicle to be repainted--door jams, under hood-under trunk- interior trim etc etc etc, you will have a much greater appreication for the price your about to pay. Also remember the bed needs to be either removed or slide back to paint the back of the cab. The best idea so far is the 2 tone idea using the black and another color. Prices vary from place to place and depending on the quality of work but my guess would be on the north side of 5k for a good base coat clear coat.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.