DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Did I get screwed...magnaflow?

9K views 34 replies 21 participants last post by  frealz13 
#1 ·
Went to the local muffler shop this past week and told the guy I wanted the 24 inch magnaflow muffler welded in in place of the stock muffler. After all is done, the truck sounds great, but when I get home and take a look there is no sign on the muffler of any indication that it is a magnaflow. Most all the others I have seen are stamped with the word magnaflow somewhere. Did I get screwed or does magnaflow make a muffler with no markings??

#2 ·
They might of put on a Flowmaster by mistake. I know most of their mufflers aren't stamped with the name. Did you get a receipt?

#4 ·
Well, if it IS a Flowmaster it's not a knockoff. I'm just guessing because alot of shops have Flow's in stock.

#5 ·
Take pics and show us it should be oval shaped if its not a magnaflow then i would take it back and get a magnaflow.

#8 ·
ya im pretty sure aswell all magnaflows are stamped somewhere

#9 ·
Stop back at the dealer and have them show you a similar muffler and look for the Magnaflow logo. Compare it in size and shape to what's under the truck. The price looks like what I paid for a Flowmaster several years ago for my 2006.

#12 ·
Pretty sure its a knockoff magnaflow. Its the same shape and size, its just not stamped on either side. If I knew how to post pics I would, but I always post from my phone or my ipad, so I don't even know where to start! I am gonna stop by the shop this week and see what they have to say.

#13 ·
#14 ·
i just called a shop in virginia and told them i want a magnaflow muffler put on inplace of the stock . thay told me 180 for the muffler and install . is this a good price . i want to know if the inside cab noise is low due to the fact i have two small kids and on my last truck i had a flowmaster and the inside noise was to loud for them and the wife .

#16 · (Edited)
In your case i wouldn't go shorter than like an 18 inch 22 would be best in your case imo. The shorter the louder, 14in is bout the loudest they make.

#18 ·
shouldnt be too bad...as long as you keep the resonators in the back.

#19 ·
#23 ·
I think you did get screwed, even if it is a Flowmaster on there. If they are legit they have to have the brand stamped..I learned this the hard way a while back when a local muffler shop back home in Texas installed "Flowmasters" on my 98 Chevy and when I got home I took a closer look and what do you know, not a brand stamped anywhere.

Went back and made them install the real shit or I would contact the authorities so they did lol

Came to find out weeks later that Flowmaster lost their 40 series patent so a lot of companies are making knock offs like no other, just go on Ebay and you will see. Not saying this is the case but you never know these days

#26 ·
All magnaflow mufflers are embossed on one side. I called myself and asked a magnaflow technician on Tuesday while I caught my local muffler shop in the act of putting on a knockoff.

Knockoffs are never as good as the real thing. I can't hurt to go back in and ask to have it replaced. I would start off asking nicely if they could tell you if its the real thing or not. Usually you can get further by being respectful and professional. If you find that you are getting nowhere then you can always increase the blood pressure.

#27 ·
to each his own i guess...I wanted a certain sound and performance and magnaflow fit that bill, but, as long as it sounded and performed as I wanted it to I wouldn't care what was stamped on it or not.. and any mag clone will perform waaayy better then any authentic flowmaster muffler out there. Again, what matters to most is how it sounds to most cuz that's the only reason people still buy flowmasters..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.