DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Resonator Removal; Muffler Removal and FlowMaster 40 Series installed

11K views 16 replies 9 participants last post by  DodgeBoy4Life 
#1 ·
I had the factory resonator and muffler removed today and had a FlowMaster 40 Series installed. Sounds good. Not too loud. Not so much drone. The factory stuff felt like it weighed 75lbs or better. I brought it back home in case I ever decide to sell the truck and want to put it back stock.

I took pictures in case anybody else is interested in seeing the factory system removed.

Attachments

See less See more
#3 ·
Exhaust Switch

It is a lot bigger truck than my 2000 Dakota as well as my 2004 Ram Hemi two door were. So it sounds quieter inside because the exhaust is further back under the truck. Outside at idle it has a light rumble. When I accelerated on the highway yesterday it sounded really smooth but a little louder than the previous 2011 Charger I had with the 3.6 liter engine.

I had a similar setup on my 2000 Dakota but I used a RAVIN muffler on it and the K&N air filter. It screamed. My 2004 Ram Hemi was a pre-owned vehicle and came with duals and glass packs installed when I bought it.

Attachments

#12 ·
Mpg

I traveled from the Texas City / La Marque area to Austin Texas for a few days and drove around Austin while I was there and traveled back yesterday on the same tank of gas and averaged 23.6 mpg average of city/hwy driving and had construction detours as well as some 75 mph speed zones. This also includes the whole back cab area filled with luggage and the wife's shopping items. See the picture below of the gas mileage.

Attachments

#9 ·
My average jumps between as low as 19.5 to its high at 23.5, when I'm on the highway doing a long drive I can easily average 25 for a long trip, however if I'm driving around town a lot that can easily dip to about 16 in short trips with traffic or lots of lights. I think the average MPG on my dash takes into account about the last 500 miles or so, currently its at 23.3 but I've done a fair amount of highway miles in the last week.

#11 ·
I have done mostly city driving myself due to the short commute that I have these days. I have averaged 18.5 to 19.5 mpg for my weekly round trips to the office. I made a trip to Lake Charles Saturday and returned to Houston on Sunday and I averaged 23.6 on the highway and most of that was 70 to 75 mph driving due to the recent speed limit changes. I imagine my next trip to New Orleans will be 25 mpg or better. It generally takes me three weeks to need a to gas up up and I generally do that with a quarter tank remaining. My truck came with the 32 gallon tank. I generally put 25 to 26 gallons in at the pump.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.