DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Subwoofer Clearance under Rear Seats..

13K views 23 replies 15 participants last post by  DILLIGAF 
#1 ·
I bought a custom box for my dodge ram to fit a 12" sub woofer under the back right seat.. Is it bad for someone to sit on this side of the truck???

The bottom of the seat touches the top of the sub woofer, So i was wondering when someone is sitting on it is that a problem??

Thanks

#2 ·
I would get something to add some room between the seat and the sub like a grille or something. I used to have subs under my seats and someone was sitting on the seat and I blew the sub. The spider broke and blew it. I then got a grille to cover the sub to prevent it from happening again.

If you look at the JL stealth box it comes with a grille already. Most boxes the go under the Ram seats come with something to protect them. If it doesnt I guess go to your local audio shop and see what they have

#7 ·
I have heard that you can get kits that will lift the back seat to gain more clearance if you have subs under there! not sure where you can get them...maybe someone will speak up with more information on this :smileup:

#8 ·
I just installed my box under the set and I had thought about building some type of wedge that I would cover and install on top of the box or around the sub alost in a horse shoe type way just making them out of MDF to give the sub arecessed look while providing a vent and space for it to travel

#11 ·
i ran into the same problem with older dodge, i had 2 different subs, both MTX but one was a foam ring the other was rubber (rubber is standard) the foam one kept going for 3 years and cost me 75$ the other one only about 6 months and it costs 250 because it wore right through the rubber. though the foam is a "cheaper" sub, it out performs in this kind of scenario...plus all the girls faught to ride in the back seat :p

#16 ·
Every install ive done to a truck under the back seats we have always just ran full covers on the subs. Usually we do 2 shallow p3 10's(or 12's) in trucks under the seat and the RF sub grille is perfect for protecting the sub.

One thing to note is when you have the seat down and people in the back dont go cranking your system even more because its quieter. Ive had a customer blow both subs because of this.

#17 ·
pictures I dont have. it was a while ago but I measured the brackets and cut a ruff pice out. then I put them under the brackets and marked the holes with a sharpy then drilled them out. I used the stock bolts, they were just long enough. oh and theres a pin that sticks down from the bracket that I had to drill a hole for to get the piece of mdf to sit flush to mark the holes for the bolts. it was a real PITA that I remember.

#21 ·
I was able to get two Boston G210-44 DVC subs under my rear seats with more clearance than my last box with smaller subs, and I have more than the reccomended cubic air volume for a sealed box!

Mounting depth on my subs is 6-3/8" but call it more like 7" or 7-1/2" because the subs vent downwards and you need the air room for it to fire properly, cant block that air hole!

Anyways, with our trucks you will get more mounting depth and air volume in cubic feet if you do a custom box, mind you they are very hard to make and are more expensive but I just thought I would share that with you :)

Here's mine when they were building it....

As you can see, the only thing above the stock wall between the storage area and foot area is one 3/4" piece of MDF for the top of the box, its pretty awesome, hope I helped!

#23 ·
I was able to get two Boston G210-44 DVC subs under my rear seats with more clearance than my last box with smaller subs, and I have more than the reccomended cubic air volume for a sealed box!

Mounting depth on my subs is 6-3/8" but call it more like 7" or 7-1/2" because the subs vent downwards and you need the air room for it to fire properly, cant block that air hole!

Anyways, with our trucks you will get more mounting depth and air volume in cubic feet if you do a custom box, mind you they are very hard to make and are more expensive but I just thought I would share that with you :)

Here's mine when they were building it....

As you can see, the only thing above the stock wall between the storage area and foot area is one 3/4" piece of MDF for the top of the box, its pretty awesome, hope I helped!

i have a 2008 dodge i bought a fited box for under the seat i have 2 12in kickker and they are diffrent models one fit perfect with room between the seat but the other would not fit all the way so i had to put a ring under the sub to lift it and give it more clearnce inside but now it touches the seat and it wont gow down all the way if you pull the brackets on the sides of the seat and stack washers you can put under and get more room and mine have alot of rattle because it knocked my cup holder out but if you take L brackets and sandwich it to your floor it hold them down well but i am still messing with it and im just a kid in high school so it sound red neck but it works and i did not stuff my box so thats where the rattle comes from but it works or if your worried about it not setting right i put blocks on the sides of the box so when the seat is down it pushes the box down in place but you still need to raise the seats if yall have any ideas or to ad let me know im perfecting mine now so i can do the same in the 3500 dodge its the same as mine but biger motor so im just getting it ready

#24 · (Edited)
Kit come with spacers for the rear seat with the Fox Box , Even with those My 2 Alpine Type Rs have been hitting the seat for 9 years now... lol... Zero damage to the woofers but leave sweet imprints on the underside of the seat... lol...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.