DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Forward Folding Rear Seats in 2011's

60K views 73 replies 39 participants last post by  hulasboy 
#1 ·
I read a thread not long ago where someone asked if you could fold the rear seats forward as well as up on the 2011 models. The answer was that in the 2009 - 10 models you could flip the hook that the seat latches on-to upside down. However, the 11 models don't allow you to change the hook. They are welded into place.

This weekend I installed two amps and LOC on the back wall of my 2011 1500, and installed a Fox Acoutics sub box for 10". The sub box came with a set of 1/2" spacers to lift the rear seats up. After doing this, I am able to fold my rear seats forward giving me easy access to the back.

I thought I would pass that on for others who might be curious.

#43 ·
My Gen 3 RAM came witha bunch of washers that raised the rear seat, to clear a sub, I think. I never had a sub but I liked having extrat room to store stuff under the rear seat. I might replicate this setup on my 2011....No one complained about the lack of hear room on my 2005 QC, we'll see what will happen with the 2011 QC.

#44 ·
Does anybody know the dimension of washers or bolts that hold the seats down? I'd like to do this with nylon spacers and have them made but need to know what to get.

#45 ·
I did this mod on a 2010 tundra I owned I too was concerned about seat flying forward in a crash but if you actually take the seat out and look at how it is set up you will see there is still alot of meat left on the clip that atcually holds the seat to the rear wall of the truck (if that makes sence )

#52 ·
Looks like a great mod for streo equipment, but from what I can see on my truck, the seat back goes tight up against the cab when you raise the seat. This appears to have little use for storage unless you cut away the lining on the cab. Does anyone have better pics of this mod, what else can be done with this new found space?

#53 ·
My question also.... what exactly are we gaining ? A place to store a newspaper ? Or is it big enough for a briefcase ? Or something bigger ? It would be worth it if there was a set of bins back there or something to strap things to. ???

#55 · (Edited)
[]
My question also.... what exactly are we gaining ? A place to store a newspaper ? Or is it big enough for a briefcase ? Or something bigger ? It would be worth it if there was a set of bins back there or something to strap things to. ???
That's where your creativity and imagination come into play. I took out the odd shaped panel and applied dynamat to the cab back and floor. Made a carpeted wood panel that covers the entire back wall. Mounted a Kicker 5 channel amp and fan on the driver's side and keep an extra jacket, 2 small blankets, an emergency tool kit, road flares, extra shoes/socks and a shirt on the passenger side. I still have room for more stuff too. You can put so many things back there. It's brilliant. Dodge didn't do us any favors by not giving us this completely usable space to begin with.ATTACH]29351[/ATTACH

Attachments

Reactions: JHemi1
#60 ·
This is a good Mod if you want to do it, it would work well for the snow plow driver & those that want to Mod their stereo system

If you have your doubts about safety, just don't do it !!

#62 ·
^I agree with sdrexel on that. When I was in HS I drove an 81 F100, it came from the factory with seat belts but without headrests(bench seat). I put bucket seats in it with a home made center console that housed subwoofers. I anchored the box through the cab floor to a crossmember(frame) and the seat belt was still useable. I got pulled over once with someone sitting on the box and the cop asked me if I thought that was safe and I explained how I had it set up and he agreed that it was safe and legal. He commented also though that if it would have been a newer vehicle(with head rests) that it would have needed a head rest as well... Seemed like common sense to me.

#64 ·
You guys are beating this thing to death. The seat CANNOT possibly move if the seatbelt is fastened to the passenger. The restraint system is fastened to the truck body and has absolutely NO CONNECTION to the seat itself.

#65 ·
I have a 2011 Ram 1500 and I did this mod. It works great! I had to go more than 1/2" though. The 1/2" wouldn't allow the seat to bring the hook all of the way up so it would lay forward. I also had to buy longer bolts. Fyi, the bolts are 12mm x 1.75. Once I got the right Height, it works with no problems.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.