DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Do you have the smell issue (you will know if you do)?

• 2013 RAM - Yes

Votes: 11 3.2%
  • 2013 RAM - No

Votes: 26 7.4%
  • 2014 RAM - Yes

Votes: 94 26.9%
  • 2014 RAM - No

Votes: 218 62.5%

Bad Smell - RAM 1500 - Poll

50K views 141 replies 90 participants last post by  Ralph cocchi 
#1 · (Edited)
Sounds like some RAM owners are getting the "bad smell" problem, related to the antifreeze being used, and/or reaction to the hoses used.

It also sounds like the dealerships may play "dumb" on the problem.

So - a poll. Maybe if there are enough participants, we can get a petition going for a permanent fix.

(Anyone know if I can edit the poll? It was suggested that we also track before December 2013 and after December 2013 builds). Maybe scap this one and start a new one

#3 ·
There was a poll on the forum about five or six weeks ago. At that point, it showed that most vehicles with the smell were built prior to December 1st. Mine seemed to be the only one after that date that was experiencing the problem and it was built the first week of December. It might be interesting to find out how many experiencing the smell were built after Dec. 1st.

#5 ·
Slightly terrified now...over 2100 miles and no smells but turned the heater on last night after a cool evening of kids soccer. An unpleasant smell from the vents for about 5 minutes or so and it went away. Nothing else since and not quite the dead animal people describe but I'm praying it is nothing.

#16 ·
I have something similar, but not really a foul smell, more like acetone or fresh paint...they did wash my windows with something really strong when I got my tint on, otherwise it wont stay on...the truck was krown'ed the week before...so I am not sure if it still is that chemical they used or I do have the smell...today, it was warmer, 12C and the truck was in the sun all day, it smelled really strong when I got in after work. It smells less the colder it is outside.

Built Feb 2014, CC, V6, 3500km (2187m)

#6 ·
I've only had my 2014 for 2 weeks now, and thus only have around 700 miles and some change on it. As of yet no smell, but this isn't the first time I've read about this, and may have experienced with our other vehicle. I say "may" cause it might not be the exact same, but my wife's 2013 Durango had a smell just as described for about 1,000 miles somewhere around 2,000-4,000ish miles, then went away all together. If what you guys are talking about is the same smell, I will absolutely know if it shows up, cause it's horrible...

#9 · (Edited)
So how do you tell the build date? I thought it was in the drivers door jamb but you have to back into it some how....

I have mine a month now and 750 miles, no smell as of today.

Are all these trucks built in the same plant? I remember mine showing it was built in Michigan.

Thanks

#12 ·
Does the smell start of sweet smelling then turn foul? Or does the smell just come on all of a sudden and smell foul?

I have a new interior odor but now not sure if that is it?

I smelled the anti-freeze fill area and no stank, knock on wood, but just curious on how the smell comes about?

Thanks!

#13 ·
I really don't know if there are hard and fast rules with this problem. It seems all are slightly different. I occasionally get a whiff of propane but certainly not a dead animal smell... well not from the truck usually after eating Indian cuisine. :i_rolleyes:
One thing I have noticed, the ones having the worst problems have high mileage put on quickly. (engine running hotter coolant temperature raising frequently.)
I have 2000 after 4.5 months, soft miles on mine. My .02 cents

#14 ·
This seems to be so random, I'm hoping that mine - which is supposed to be build tomorrow - won't have this smell issue...

#17 · (Edited)
:158: There is a humongous thread here about the whole smell problem: http://ramforumz.com/showthread.php?t=141837

I almost read it through entirely :Wow1: Took me 1 or 2 hours...

From what I can decipher, it seems the problem is related to a combination of not only the new organic coolant and rubber hoses (because then everybody would have this problem), but also because of debris from new castings due to an improper clean of those castings in the manufacturing process. Because most castings are cleaned out properly, most people won't have the issue, only the ones unlucky enough to have castings not well cleaned.

I don't know if it's wishful thinking on my part (because my Ram is getting build tomorrow and I'm crossing my fingers I won't be getting a stinky one!), but the problem might not be that common.

The reason I say that is that when you look at the humongous thread, you see that quite a few people reporting on this issue are people with only 1, 2, 3 or just a few posts...Me thinks that a lot of these people would never have joined the board if it had not been because of this issue. So it may not be representative of the general population of Ram owners, we only get the poor guys who got stinky trucks and then it looks awful, like everyone chiming in has this issue...

Coincidentally, 75% of people in the poll so far report they don't have the issue. Now, we don't know the actual mileage of those respondants and this plays a role has the smell typically takes some time to reveal itself.

#19 ·
I haven't decided if I have the smell or not. The smell is more of a burnt rubber type rather than the foul smell that everyone talks about that makes a person want to puke.

I noticed the burnt smell at about 4000 miles, and really only notice it when I'm stopped. Plan is to see what happens as temps warm up since it's been mostly below freezing since I've had my Ram. Hoping I don't have the issue, but then again my Ram was one of the first ones on the lot where I live.

#21 ·
I confirm the ED I drove yesterday had the purple antifreeze. Truck only had 18 miles on it so there was no smell. Still can't believe how quiet that truck was.

#24 ·
So far it's just the ED trucks. Will have to wait to hear from someone with a HEMI or Pentastar to see if they got the purple as well.

#30 ·
No smell...thank Heaven

I have 4800 miles, no odor in the cab but I did notice a slight odor under the hood after a long drive.

#31 ·
Dealer response

I took my truck into the dealer to report my occasional bad smell. I noticed a bad smell on our long trip home. We could smell the odor when we slowed down or stopped. There wasn't an odor today and when they took it for test drive they said that they couldn't smell anything wrong. The said it was their first complaint and that Chrysler had not given any notices. I said that I had Googled the issue and had found reference to it from owners. The service person said that they needed to see the problem before they could do anything and to bring it in to the shop, the next time it occurred. I found their response most annoying! I would rather have heard them say that they would also investigate the problem further with Chrysler and report back to me. When we got home my wife said that she could smell it outside the truck. I lifted the hood and sniffed around the large radiator hose and that appears to were the odor is coming from when it is hot. It is then, sometimes getting into the cab through the heater. Mileage 6600kms

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.