DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Express Owners, do you wish you upgraded to a higher trim level?

3K views 21 replies 15 participants last post by  Ramajama 
#1 ·
Hi everyone,

I am going to finalize my Express “None more black” order tomorrow, but I have a few reservations.

I am worried that the truck will be too spartan for the long term, as I can’t order this model with creature comforts I would like, such as the fancy dash display, remote start, uConnect 840, 9 speaker stereo, sunroof, side steps, park sense etc. I realize I can add some of these items after market, but I’m wondering if I should look at a higher trim level.

If I look at a sport with these items it is at least $7k more with the same motor/trans/rear (Hemi, 8 speed, 3.92), but I also want the bench seat which isn’t available in a sport. As I prefer the painted grill look it does’t seem like I have a lot of options…

I’m hoping that some other express owners will chime in with “Don’t worry about that stuff, you don’t need it”. Or, if you went for a higher end model, let me know too…

Thanks in advance!

#2 · (Edited)
Dude, I had a Laramie before. Granted an older one (2004), but had a lot of extras. In between that I had a newer F-250 Lariat diesel, and let me tell you, even being an Express I feel like It's maybe more comfortable than either of my last 2 trucks. I looked at and drove more than a few trucks of different trims before I bought my Express, and decided on it because it just felt right. The all black looks good, it drives amazing, feels great, has all the extras I need, and in the end, it's what I really wanted. Yeah, can you get a few extra things on a more upscale trim? Sure. But not enough to break the deal for me. If it's what you really want and you don't really have to have those extras, I say yeah! Don't let a few extra sway you from something you feel like you really want. On the other hand, if you can't live with out them... In the end, I wouldn't have chosen a different truck. I love my blacked out Express, and will continue to love it for years to come.

#3 ·
I love my express. The only thing I would change is I wish I had the 8 speed. I have the upgraded dash, LSD, 3.92s, unconnect, 32 gallon tank, trailer brake contoller and CD player which I never use.
I added chrome big horn wheels and grill.

#5 ·
I have SXT trim, it is essentially an ST trim with some chrome appearance pkg. I'm loving it.
Uconnect: I have a portable gps for $100.
sunroof: I don't plan to smoke in my truck so don't see other significance of having a sunroof
and do keep in mind higher trims are heavier and have less payload.

#6 · (Edited)
I was in the exact same boat, I didn't consider the Express and was zeroing in on a Laramie Longhorn. I've had my Express about a week now and I'm actually surprised how happy I am with it. Money wasn't the issue and I got what I needed, not what I thought I wanted. The Express is a killer value, Hemi, 20" wheels, 4 x 4 , got the uconnect phone system so I can make and receive calls over the radio. I too wanted the buckets but the wife pointed out she can cross her legs in the passenger seat, really can't with the buckets. This is my 5th Ram and the best of the lot. The 6 speed is better than the 5 speed I had in my 2011 SLT. Got mine for $29K, about 7K under MSRP. All Rams are great trucks but true some are nicer than others. In a week I've added a MOPAR hitch off ebay for $119, MOPAR bed mat, deezee tail gate strut, tinted the front two windows, and got some chrome Westin side bars enroute, about $500 worth of things I needed. Don't under estimate a Express ! I filled the front license plate holes with color matched bumper plugs also.

#8 ·
Im looking to get a new 2014 as well...looked at the Bighorn, etc..like the seats betetr, the dash layout, etc...but when it all comes down to it, I dont drive it a ton (16500 miles on my 2011 now) so an Express 4x4 is more than enough for me.

#9 ·
Have you looked at the SLT / Outdoorsman? I'm not sure how they have packages set up for 2014, but in 2013 the Big Horn and Outdoorsman were trim package add-ons to the SLT.

The two tone OD came with a painted bumper, but not all colors are available in two tone and I don't know if the black painted bumper is the same as the all black truck. It opens up all of the other options you want, including allowing of the front bench - at least it did last year.

It will still be substantially more expensive, but possibly not as bad.

#11 ·
I love my express as other have stated. I had an 07 bighorn and my express in the 4th gen is still has a lot nicer interior and features than my old 3rd gen bighorn. I had dealer install factory remote start on mine and worked it into the deal as a bartering chip after I got the price down to where I was happy. I paid likely cost on start kit and they installed for free. Feel like I have functional options and am happy with the express Blackout. Seems every where I go I am seeing another one on the road every day!

#12 ·
I used to have a Tundra and just recently jumped into a black express this past January. I've never had any experience with a RAM and only went to the dealership because of my brother who swears by them - Oh yeah and my flippin' Tundra was about to fall apart.... I am definitely not dissapointed. I miss my electric seats and the roll-down rear window, blah blah blah - but like everyone in this thread is saying - you can't really beat it for the price and build quality (MUCH better than a Tundra). Oh, and I get a sweet Hemi too.

I for one am not a rich man, so it was a blessing that I could afford a great truck and have it brand new too.

#15 ·
Don't get me wrong, I love my Express. I love the Black Express package. It is slick and sexy.
I use to drive a 2012 Big Horn. It had some bells and whistles - big screen, navigation, leather wrapped steering wheel, power driver seat, lumbar support, etc.
But here's the thing, I don't NEED a nav system, my Google Maps on my phone works better, I bought a faux leather steering wheel cover - and it's padded, and I am the only one that drives my truck, so I don't NEED a power seat.
At the end of the day, I love my truck, I DO miss some things, but having black on black on black on black on.... I wouldn't trade it...unless it was a 2500 Big Horn with the Black package. Maybe that's something to save up for

#17 ·
As a followup, my order was finalized today.

Express Black Special Edition, Hemi, 8 sp, 3.92, anti-spin rear differential, rambox cargo, backup camera, spray in bedliner and trailer tow package.

I think it's weird that you can't add step sides as you can with every other Ram, but the dealer said he could install the Mopar ones, or I can go after market once it arrives, hopefully late May/Early June...

Thanks everyone, it was great hearing all the positive comments from the satisfied Express owners!

#18 ·
The ramtrucks site does not work well for building what is really available. It may handle simple things and packages, but getting into individual options is not good. Looks like you made your decision anyway.

Aftermarket steps are much cheaper than the factory or Mopar stuff anyway. I went with Raptor 5" stainless off Amazon. The hour crawling around on the garage floor was worth it to save a couple hundred bucks.

#19 ·
Well, the dealer made my decision :) I thought he was going to hold off till Monday to put the order in, but he wound up doing it on Friday. It's actually good that I can't change my mind now :)

I started another thread about step sides, but I will check out the Raptors. Have 6-8 weeks before truck comes in so I have time to do some research :)

#22 ·
We hit a financial speed bump about 5 years ago so I had to work my way back to a higher trim truck over time. I bought a 2011 ST and that didnt last long, I traded up to a 2012 Express, which was a sharp looking truck but it was only a 2wd and didnt have the creature comforts i was used to. But with the de-badging, blackout of the few badges I left on the truck and the addition of black SRT10 wheels, It was a very sharp looking truck.
But it didnt last long either, as soon as I was able, I traded up to a 2013 Laramie 4x4. THATS MORE LIKE IT. The creature comfort make it a joy to work out of and its just more satisfying to own and drive.
Of course I wont be completely happy until I get a Sport with an 8spd, 3.92 and all the goodies. :)

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.