DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Stock headlights on 2014

1K views 6 replies 7 participants last post by  RyanJM 
#1 ·
I'm new to the forum and have tried a search but would like to find out the latest recommendations for headlight upgrade on our SLT that's on order. It looks like the stock Quad headlights are similar to our 2004 Ram. Not good. We tow a 15k fifth wheel and would like much better distance for those unlit highways. Should I convert to projector assemblies or should I just replace the bulbs in the factory units with HID. What are my best options.

Thanks
Dave

#2 ·
Everybody on here says the stock lights suck, I haven't had any problems with mine, they work great for me, only thing I did for a extra bit of light was add a 10 inch Rigid LED lightbar on the front for a bit of extra light when needed.

Attachments

#4 ·
I have them in my 2014 Sport. The Low beams have great light output as long as you are right in front of the vehicle. If you are at any kind of highway speed, I feel you are drastically overdriving the headlights. The high beam isn't too bad.

I'm currently looking at which route to go on my low beams (HID vs. upgrade stock bulbs to a better 9012 set up)

Has anyone heard how the bi-function halogen projector headlamps are? These are in the higher end models and in the black ram express package.

#6 ·
I don't know, I have them in my black Express and actually was kind of impressed with projectors... I live in the barren wasteland called Wyoming where we don't really have what most people would consider city driving necessarily. Mainly county roads and back highways with a lot of ranch land and prairie. The other night I was about 35 miles out of town in pouring rain, narrow two lane, and nothing but darkness, and I kinda thought they seemed brighter than my last two trucks ever were. I mean mainly that I felt like I could see a lot better... Though as mentioned, don't get in much city driving so I guess I don't have much to compare to really.

#7 ·
I just swapped my low and fogs out to hid's. Just remember when you swap an hid into a normal lens( non projector). Always go out at night to a dark area an realign your light so you don't blind everyone. I have had hid's in all my cars and trucks. Projector and regular lenses. They work fine in both as long as you realign them to compensate for the greater light output.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.