DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Differential c clip

4K views 5 replies 5 participants last post by  RogerRamJet 
#1 ·
First post, hello everyone.

I have researched enough to find a notorious problem with the c clip(s) in the rear differential. While trying to diagnose a problem with extreme vibration when braking (already replaced rotors, pads, front calipers and hubs), I noticed about an 1/8" in and out play on rear passenger shaft, not so much or as obvious on drivers side. My question, is this normal, could it be caused by the clip, anything else?

Thank you in advance for any help.

#3 ·
Sounds like what my old 2004 was doing very shortly before the rear diff went and had to be rebuilt. And you're right, it is an ongoing problem. Happened twice in 2 years, both times requiring a rebuild which prompted me to get rid of it and move on to something newer. Good luck, hope one fix gets it done for you so you can enjoy that truck.

#5 ·
I'm pretty certain the c-clip issue affects any third gen truck with the 3.92 LSD. I would recommend that owners of these trucks follow the harsh maintenance schedule in regards to the rear diff so that they get a look in there every 15K miles. It really isn't that difficult and it could save a bundle of cash if you catch it early. If you don't catch it in time, you could be faced with replacing the entire rear housing and differential unit. Another good option is to go with an aftermarket LSD.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.