DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1997 318 thermostat

3K views 5 replies 4 participants last post by  RamTech 
#1 ·
ok..I too like alot of others is having a lack of heat problem. No heat unless the rpms are up or its in recirculate mode. I have recently also had another issue come up. This truck has always run at mid range temp (200) since Ive had it. No play in temp gauge at all period, unless pulling a hill towing or taxing the engine. Recently I've noticed the temp gauge creeping up to about 220 (about2/3 way towards the limit) but once it hits about 220 it drops right back down to mid range where it normally operates. It doesn't stay there at all..hits about 220 and drops right away. Just does it once in awhile. I changed the water pump a few months ago, My coolant level is good. I understand that my next 2 choices are thermostat (I know I'm an idiot for not changing that when I did the water pump), and the heater core. So I guess I'm going to start with thermostat. My question is this...where exactly is the thermostat? I hope its not in the line that goes in right above water pump..the difficult one. AND- what would cause my new issue of temp going up and down? thermostat? AND tell me the thermostat can be changed with out taking fan or water pump or anything back off.. thanks in advance for any insight..

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.