DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Oil filter size????

46K views 37 replies 19 participants last post by  Lil Black 4x4 Hemi 
#1 ·
So pretty frustrating and basic problem. I'm doing the first oil change on the 13 sport. I looked up which filter before I left and confirmed it at the store. The Mobil1 size is supposed to be the M1-210. Just looked at the factory installed filter and its definitely a lot smaller. So which filter do I need? Really confused since both the Mobil 1 site and the store computer came back with this one for the v8 hemi. Unless theres another filter for somethng else that looks exactly like an oil filter. when looking at the front of the truck it's on the left about 3 feet back. Thanks for any help!

#2 ·
From what I heard if you have the 5.7 with the 8 speed trans, it calls for a different oil filter, have yet to find the Mopar part number for the oil filter with the 5.7 & 8 speed trans, dealer has no clue either. Going to look at my oil filter on my truck, hope it has the part number printed on it.

#7 ·
I always buy the NAPA Gold oil filters, I had bought one for my 2011 Ram and was waiting for the change oil light/warning to come on, well I decided to trade it before that happened. I changed my oil last week for the first time, even though it had just under 1K miles on it, and used the filter that I had bought for the 11, it fit no problem and was probably close to three times the size :SHOCKED: just had to add extra oil is all, glad I ordered extra :smileup:

#8 ·
I have the 5.7 with the 6 speed also. I checked out the oil filter the other day and could not believe how small it is. Looks like it should be on a little 4 cylinder engine. Shoot the one on my bike is even larger. Guess I'll go with a bigger one this change also. Thanks for the info on parts numbers, it should help a lot.

#9 ·
Oil filter is like;y to be the oil filter under there!!

There isn't anything else under the truck to be confused with the oil filter. In determining which oil filter will fit, use the larger size aftermarket M1-201, the smaller OEM filter is for oil factory fill and break in and engine break in.
You'll find the Mobil 1 oil filters with synthetic media work really well. ANY - absolutely ANY of the modern synthetic oils are fully adequate. Don't get into the "circular chase" of which is "best" - do a synthetic change every 7-10 K miles and your engine will last a long time.

#10 ·
Thanks for all the input. I'm waiting till my days off to try out this Mobil 1. I've seen a lot of filters of different lengths but this one is much wider and looks like it will literally hang over the edges. The factory one looks to be close to the edge of where the seal seats already. I just don't see how this larger diameter filter will fit since it seems like the actual o-ring wont even make contact around the edges.

#13 ·
You are referring to the M1-210 filter just to be clear?

Funny it is the wrong size as it is listed in that cross reference link that was supplied.

Does it state the numbers right on the filter or are they only listed on the box?
(Just thinking, right box, wrong filter?)

#14 ·
I though of that and checked but its definetky the M1-210. I put the old filter back on and I guess I'll just pay to have it done. This has really turned me off the Ram. I've always done all my own changes one every car I've owned and never had an issue. Just seems like such a ridiculous issue.

#18 ·
I don't know about y'all but I can't buy 7 quarts of 5w20 and a filter for the $20 that the dealer charges. I like changing my own oil as much as the next guy, but some of these service specials are just too good.

#20 ·
If you actually buy the special it still comes out to under $80 for 4 changes tax included though. I have read the fine print, I have also gone to the dealer with my dad (my ram is too new to have needed a change yet) when he has gone to do the special and it is still much cheaper than doing it ourselves. His truck has the 5.7L hemi.

I don't know, maybe the dealer isn't charging us the supposed additional charges that are stated in the fine print, maybe its a regional thing or something, but this has been my experience. Not trying to call anyone a liar or anything, just saying I would at least recommend that y'all ask your service departments how much it would be for your truck before assuming that it won't save you money.

#24 ·
We go to Ancira for service. Or I should say he does, I haven't needed service yet.

#27 ·
Just wanted to update this post as it popped into my head as soon as I got to my filter. Went to do a change this weekend and noticed the same, the Stocker was smaller then the Royal Purple filter I was installing. At first I was worried, because it was significantly larger (RP), but after removing the Mopar and comparing the seal dimensions, they were identical. Seems that the aftermarket filter, and I'd imagine even the designated Mopar (besides factory installed) filter are larger and extend well beyond the rubber seal washer, where the factory unit basically stops there. New filter installed fine and was able to get a wrench on it for snugging. I will say too, that location is horrible!

#29 ·
Gasket interface is what matters

Firemarhshallvin - lots of people don't quite comprehend it's the rubber gasket that seals the filter to the engine, even If the oil filter "can" dimensions are different.
I ginny pigged two Royal Purple filters - you'll find that the RP filters, even if a touch pricey, do a fabulous job of keeping the oil clean

#30 ·
Rektek
The mobil M1-210 fits just fine I've got it on my truck right now. So what if the edge is wider that is not what seals, its the rubber gasket. The M1-210's gasket is the same size as the factory one. Mine has not leaked one drop of oil, it works perfectly & I have the 6 speed also.

#31 ·
Well I just did an oil change but it was only after I took the old filter off I saw it was a different size to the M1-210 that id already bought.

the original part number is CHRYSLER 04892339AA the alternative filter size is M1-113

The -210 is a fatter filter but the o-ring and thread looks the same space.

Im in two minds now as whether to change the filter to a 113 and dump the brand new oil ive just filled it with or leave the 210 on place????

#32 ·
curiously though,

if you look at the Mobil website specifically at oil filters this is what it says

M1-113 - Chevrolet Camaro (2014), Corvette (2006-13) (GM12626224)

M1-210 - Ford Products (1991-15), Mazda (2000-09), Chrysler, Dodge V6 & V8 (2008-14)

however if you search by vehicle make and model it recommends the 113

So still non the wiser!!!

#34 ·
Walmart needs to update there little computers for the oil filters. Picked up the oil and filter to change out and there little computer next to the oil filters calls for the Mopar filter as M0-090 for a 2014 Ram 1500 5.7 Hemi. After draining the oil and pulling the old oil filter off, I went to install the new oil filter that did not fit. The threads are smaller on the M0-090. Luckily my neighbor was home and able to take me get the correct filter from Orielly. Went with the Mobil oil filter. The guy from Orielly pulled the part number for the Mopar filter which is M0-339 and they didn't have any. In other word, don't trust those computers from Wally-world.

#35 · (Edited)
Just a thought, but I wonder if the factory installed filter is smaller so it is less likely to hang up on anything as components are being assembled. I'm sure on a modern engine, even when new that the filter media is nowhere near being clogged up even at 7-10,000 miles. That being said, I'd still buy the largest that would fit, and is called for.

#36 ·
I got the 7899 from NAPA also and was surprised by the size difference. It appears it will work fine, but the larger diameter means there's part of the filter on the top that is exposed to water etc. The gasket should keep the water out of the engine, but I am not to thrilled with it at the same time. Next filter I most likely will make sure it's the smaller size even though the bigger filter is probably better for the engine.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.