DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Bumper choices.

2K views 11 replies 8 participants last post by  the persuader 
#1 ·
I need to buy a new bumper for my 98 1500 sport. but most of the ads I read say ether new or old style. I don't recall 2 differnt bumpers for the rams till 01. But I have been wrong before. any one got any incite into this?

#3 ·
how much are bumpers for our trucks? just curious

#6 ·
ah ok thanks guys. was just wanting to see if the front bumper would be worth anything for me to sell if i upgrade to a off road bumper but looks like it wont be worth much lol

#8 ·
thanks for the input guys! But I still don't know the difference. I want my 98 1500 sport to have the factory look. So I want to buy a new sport bumper if that is the case. can any one tell what the difference between the 2 bumpers were? How can I tell which one I have? Ma mopar is no help!LOL She can't seem to find the correct part number for the bumper.

#9 ·
well 98 was the change over years on the two trucks, so get a 1998-2001 Sport Bumper. I doubt you would be able to tell the difference between the two bumpers with out haveing them sitting side by side any way. on the chrome bumpers, the difference is the width of the plastic inserts, and the shape of the fog light cut outs. I am not sure on the sports bumper.. but like I said, 1998 was the change over year if any changes were made at all to the sports bumper.

#10 ·
the difference...

The change over in '98 was the first stock sport bumper was just painted the body color.. the next gen sport bumper was totally redesigned and had further spaced out fog lights (or sealed spots if not an option) and was more plastic with enforcements than the steel first one... hope this helps and in my opinion the second one looks much better but i cant vouch for its durability..

#11 · (Edited)
I changed the bumper on my 95 to an '01. The bumper mounts are different so you'll have to get the brackets with it and drill 2 holes.

The grill is different as it drops lower into the recess for the newer bumper, or you're left with a 1 1/2 inch gap between them. The top of the older bumpers is level with a straight line. The newer ones have a dip between the headlights.

You'll have to get the grill frame also and add a few holes to it to line up with the hood.

This is what it looked like with the older grill and newer bumper:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.