DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Supercharger or Turbocharger

28K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 ·
I am thinking about either supercharging or turbocharging my 2009 dodge ram 1500 with the 4.7L V8, does anyone have any suggestions on which option to go with and maybe some ideas on what products are available in either option.

#30 ·
So what would really be the increase in HP? Everything I read is 5-10hp per psi. Without costly mods I think you could push up to 8 psi safely. Better end of it would be an 80hp increase putting us even with the HEMI. Any other thoughts on this?
I'd honestly expect more than that if you have supporting mods. If you have a stock engine, the paxton kit is supposed to add 40% (40% of 310 hp for the 2nd gen 4.7L would be roughly 124hp) If you have supporting bolt on mods, maybe even headwork and cams, you could get even more. the 40% is with the "stock" paxton pulley, I think it was more like 10-12 psi. I believe the new 4.7L has a very strong bottom end, would hold up, but the pistons/rings are likely the weak point. That said, if people use it on the older/weaker 4.7L the new one should hold up. I think 100-150hp with the paxton and some supporting bolt ons is very realistic.

#32 ·
Yeah the only problem is adapting it to fit our engine. I'm not sure but have a feeling the 2nd gen 4.7L will have even less support than the first gen, due to rumors of the 4.7L being discontinued, along with the dakota being discontinued (that was the main drive for aftermarket 4.7L support). Still though, 400rwhp out of the 2nd gen 4.7L with mildly boosted and relatively inexpensive supercharger is very doable. With airram's NA 1st gen 4.7L I believe he was very close to 300 rwhp. 400-450 shouldn't be far off on a FI engine. Just need to know what to do....I don't think I know enough about FI to do it myself unless it were a bolt on kit, and this would take some tweaking.

#35 ·
STS is a remote mounted turbo system, meaning that it is located away from the engine. Usually these are mounted inline with your exhaust under your vehicle. The good part is they are easier to install, the bad part is that the turbo is exposed to anything and everything you may drive through!

#36 ·
STS is a remote mounted turbo system, meaning that it is located away from the engine. Usually these are mounted inline with your exhaust under your vehicle. The good part is they are easier to install, the bad part is that the turbo is exposed to anything and everything you may drive through!
Yes it locates the turbo down near the rear axle. Not an issue if you stay on pavement....most that do turbo wouldn't dare take their truck off pavement anyway....but good point it is something to consider...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.