DODGE RAM FORUM banner

spark plug remove

4K views 8 replies 3 participants last post by  moparmike07 
#1 ·
Admin i just telling people here because they wont find it in how to lol

i will edit this thread tomorrow with what parts you will use please be patient. this is for the 5.7 hemi mds

Parts you need to start removal first i not done with all the parts

1. a 10mm socket a deep one and a short one
2. spark plugs 16 of them.
3. anti seize for the spark plugs
4. electric degrease (i need to get exact name)
5. a long extension
6. glove ma by if you want them
7. a swivel socket.
8. either 2 or three ratchets (will show you in picture)
9. i used a magnetic telescope to get spark plugs out (optional)
10 a bigger to smaller socket (will show you what i mean)
11. If you have it a air ratchet(to take the guard off by the tires)
12. there is about 8 bolts that go on the gaurd if i remember correctly (will check tomorrow) (picture will show you how many where they go to take them off)
13. a socket 8 mm to take the bolts from the guard off
14. a spark plug gaping tool (will show in picture)
15. a socket for the spark plugs
16. a Allen wrench (forgot what size)
17 . a sidekick i had my dad my dog and beer for him soda for me

Will add more stuff need to look tomorrow
1st. get you spark plugs you need 16. i got NGK 5306
2nd locate you coil pack where you spark plugs are locate (picture will show you in case you don't know)
3. on each coil there are two screw. remove both screw and place in a bag (easy to find after) you will remove the 2 screws with a socket 10 mm.
4. After you take them off the boot might be a little hard to take off use some pressure
5. once you take one of do one at a time you mess them packs up your going to be .
6. once you get your spark plug gap them at 0.45 like says under the hood of your truck.(picture will be included tomorrow showing you how)
7. once you gap them then you get the bottle of anti seize(picture show you what one i use) then put just enough to cover where it goes into the head.
8. After that you then get the dielectric (picture shown) and put some where the top is.
9. after that you then put a bit in the boot (show you what i mean by boot in a picture) then tighten the plug
10. When you tighten the plug snug tight one its tights just a little more(NOT A LOT Don't STRESS IT)
11. put the coil pack back on then once that on put both screws on the top right and the bottom left that how you do one the first driver side and passage. (this is going to work until the third one)
12. at this time jack your truck up use jack stand so just in case
13. At the third on we will talk about the driver side now. you want to take the guard off with all the screws i used a air ratchet its faster to take all 8 or 7 screws out then one the driver side there a clip that hold that guard in place twist left and right and pull it will come off.
14. I think you need to take that guard off (show you in picture what the guard looks like and where screws go back in)
15. you might i used a swivel socket and put some tape on it so it did not move around(show you in picture what i mean)
16. ok so the third one is done
17. The fourth one i thought be a Biach but it wasn't the top right screw will make you go nuts. after you take that out you will need some strength to take that last coil pack off.
18. passenger side time.
19. ok well its easy you need to take off your intake (i had the stock on on) it very easy how to remove i post picture idk why if you cant remove that then oo god.
20. once that is remove then you will see these two hoses that i just tugged and the plastic piece came off so you can move it to get to the coil pack.
21 once the intake off then that hoses is moved do the same lie you did before
22. jack this side up use jack stands, remove the tire place jack stand and jack under truck. Remove all 8 bolts (need check how many) and the two Allen screws then pop that guard off and that about it.

I recheck this tomorrow to add the stuff and pictures i am missing

See less See more
#2 ·
after you do this a few times you'll realize you don't need as many tools..when I did my first change I bought all the different wratchets/tools...now I'm down to using very few of them...not sure where you need a long extension, I used a short one (with a warble ), used a spark plug socket with a universal built in, a 3/8's wratchet, and a 10mm socket... I don't jack up and take off wheel (only did it the first time and it was too time consumimg for me)... since I'm running a Bfi intake i don't have to remove it. I can do all my passenger side changes outside with the help of a step ladder (trucks lowered)..for the drivers side i fold a blanket over the radiator support an lay on my stomach to get to the 2 sets of rear plugs.

#3 ·
I'm with chefred on this one. The most important thing to have is a wide selection of extensions. Instead of using a magnet for plug retrieval and installation into the head, you can us an old spark plug boot with a screwdriver or 1/4" extention to lengthen your reach as needed. I've never heard of jacking one up or taking off wheels to do this.

#4 ·
ok well just saying damm dont hate on me lol i saying the first time you use the smaller extensions but for the first one i used the bigger one. ya i could used less tool where fun be then

#5 ·
its for people that need help you know it help them out pic be up soon

#6 ·
it's all about the process mike, not hatin...just like cam installs, on my first one i did stuff that i realized later that I didn't have to do, and after each subsequent install I was able to refine the process even further... you're doing it exactly how i did mine my first time and it is much easier with the wheels an liners off. i just choose not to go that rout because it adds time to the process (I typically change my plugs at the track), but for the 1st timer, this is the easiest way.

#7 ·
ol i know your just trying help pic pain to post so all you do take the guard off then hu

#9 ·
idk lol i think it was a late night working. but i think it was like o i know your just trying to help. i appricate that . also i going post up pics soon but been so busy

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.