DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Engine runs hot while towing travel trailer

46K views 60 replies 24 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 ·
I have a 2010 1500 with 3.92 gears, i towed my 28' travel trailer and loaded it weighs about 7700 lbs, any time i hit the hills the engine temp would climb (250) along with the engine oil temp (250), the trans temp would be fine though. the ambient air temp was around 80, i checked the coolant level and all was good. I am just surprised at how easily the engine temp would climb as i had a 2006 ram that never even came close to heating up. i use the manual console shifter and kept the trans. in 4th gear has anyone else have something similar while towing?

#40 ·
The biggest fairytale here is that you don't need extra cooling with these trucks. It's also a fairytale that that a 180 tstat and oil cooler will not help keep your engine cooler. If I were the OP, I would install a 180 tsat, oil cooler to feel for himself. Then later down the road a trans cooler and maybe even a aluminum finned trans pan. I've been on this forum for 4 1/2 years and I don't remember seeing one complaint of over heating from a person running a 180 tstat.(I could have missed them) There are lots of people on here who think that a 180 tsat is harmful to your engine and I believe seanbeckaroo is one of them...pardon me if I'm wrong.

#41 ·
Actually, I don't believe a 180 Stat is harmful, I've ran one in my 460. I don't believe it is "cure all" and "MOD Booster" some claim it to be. For the OP's purpose, I believe he has more of a problem than a TSTAT. I personally run a stock stat because it is the optimal temperature for complete combustion; running a cool engine decreases efficiency, I prefer to run the vehicle where it was designed for complete combustion. On the occasions when I tow, the temps I encounter are fine for me with a stock thermostat. If I were to tow a very heavy load, I would probably have got gotten a truck better designed for that. The facts are, thermostat will simply open and close to try to maintain a desired set point. If the temperatures are over 220, Air-flow and coolant is likely going to help more than a 180 stat that is already full open.

You run your engine cold, that is fine, I'll run mine where is designed for complete combustion and optimal fuel efficiency. There is NO scientific proof that concludes running a 180 stat increases performance, engine life, or any other fairy-tale.

#47 ·
In an "old school" engine running a 180 thermostat was probalby fine, but on these new computer driven trucks, wouldnt a lower temp thermostat mess up the sensors and other computer driven components that was design for 203 thermostat? I have no proof or anything I'm just asking??? :str:

To the OP, I have a feeling that 7,700 lbs trailer is just a tad to heavy for a 1500 truck. I see you're in BC, depending where you live, your "hills" could be a mountain to us out east... :wow:

I have 27 ft around 6,000 lbs loaded trailer, and I think it feels close to the max for my truck.

If you go to the trailer towing forums, I am sure the "weight police" will say it's overweight, these guys always like to remind everyone 8,500lbs tow capacity is measured with one 150 lbs guy in the truck, not a full tank of gas, and no other gear or passengers. That 8,500 lbs, is probably more like 7,500lbs towing :4-dontknow:

#48 ·
In an "old school" engine running a 180 thermostat was probalby fine, but on these new computer driven trucks, wouldnt a lower temp thermostat mess up the sensors and other computer driven components that was design for 203 thermostat? I have no proof or anything I'm just asking???
That is correct however 180 is typically not low enough to cause issue.

#49 ·
So who here has a 2013 and runs a 180 T-stat?? I have to say the points by RadioFlyer makes total sense, I am not saying other points stated are not valid, on the other hand until someone chimes in with a 2013, I am still a little reluctant, I have a long trip in about a week towing our TT, its 26 ft and weighs in at about 5400 lbs loaded, so its well within towing capacity of my truck. I may have a chance mid-trip to change it out the thermostat. I may just do that for comparison reasons, or I may just look into the oil cooler mod that I think Outdoorsman added to his truck with very good real world results, I just don't understand why the oil and water run so much hotter on these trucks, my 2010 ran a lot cooler.

#50 ·
Cooling is cooling, oil, trans and coolant. cooler fluids will help boost performance (to a point).

I tow my 7000lb boat, and for awhile my truck was stock. It didnt have a problem with it, but like most here have said, I opted to cool my truck down.

I have an additional oil cooler, power steering cooler, transmission cooler, a 180* thermostat, and I plan on doing the heat-sinked oil pan and an E-fan in the very near future.

With a gas engine, you dont have to worry about it being too cold as long as you dont live in canadia or alaska :p. Seriously, as long as your op temp is above 120 and never goes above 200 or so, you should be good. I will check again on my trip today (unloaded), but I am pretty sure my truck never goes above 150.

#51 · (Edited)
in addition to what army of one has done, is there an aftermarket oversized radiator for the hemi that can be installed? what does the hemi use for cooling on the 2500 which is rated for higher tow ratings? my thought is, if the hemi holds up well in the 2500, then op shouldn't be having this heat problem, even if he is right at max tow for his vehicle.

#52 ·
ok i think there is another important factor here, (not a cure but it will help) what about under hood temps? if the engine is running hot the ambient temp under the hodd will be alot higher. in some cases it helps to have a way for air to escape other than just following the firewall and going under the vehicle. maybe someone mentioned this and i didn't see it but i have seen radiator fins get plugged by dirt and bugs. it will work it's way into the fins and greatly reduce airflow through the radiator. a friend of mine has a 2010 r/t ram and after we put a b&m blower (supercharger if you like) he had very serious issues with heat. we put in the same rad the power wagon uses. (not sure if it was any different than his old rad) but it helped. we also opened the two small nostril scoops in his hood to add airflow under the hood and that helped as well. to help his oil temp we put in a bigger oil cooler and i had an idea. (from my hobby) ok hobby is a fancy way of saying i like toys. lol. if my nitro r/c truck uses a heat sink to cool the engine why not make a heat sink for the sides of the oil pan? so we did. we used several small aluminum heat sinks soldered together and made a bracket to attach them to the sides of the oil pan and secure them with a few of the oilpan bolts. it worked that brought his oil temp down by 20 degrees and helped cool even when we were racing it. just my 2 cents as to what may help. you can't go wrong with airflow.

#53 ·
Some good points there^^^^^. The first thing I did when I brought my truck home was remove the grill and cut pieces of wire screen to block any foreign matter including rocks from hitting or plugging the fins on the radiator, I cut them to fit each opening on the backside of the grill and tie wrapped each piece. This way when I go to a car wash I can pressure wash everything from the outside without the pressure of the hose folding over the fins on the radiator. My point being, there will never be any blockage in fhe radiator fins. My last truck had 35000 miles when I traded it in and the radiator looked brand new.

#56 ·
well after reading through this entire thread ive decided to chime in and possibly help out. Im in the same boat as the OP with the operating temps when towing a 6500 lbs travel trailer. I have a 2013 sport with the towing package (heavy duty engine cooler/trans cooler) and my temps went up to about 220-240 (coolant) and 230-250 (oil temps), tranny temps never saw higher that 180-190.

Im going on another trip middle of next week and plan to install a 180 tstat before i leave. I will report back after the trip to see if it helps!!

#57 ·
What is normal when towing? Does anyone know for sure? I towed 80 degree weather a 3000 lbs trailer 125 miles and my radiator temp on the in dash said 220 and oil temp at 220. I was thinking WHAT IF I was pulling my max pulling capacity would I be able to do it with this truck. To me that is too high for a light load. My truck just turned 11,500 on the odometer and its like new in and out so now radiator issue or clogging issues for sure. I was going to call the dealer and ask them if they knew the facts on temp while towing. I was thinking about doing the 180 thermostat and go from there but I have the lifetime max agreement so I don't want to effect that.

#58 ·
^That certainly seems too high IMO. My 4.7L with 3.55's towed ~4,000lb at about 65-70mph from orlando to north carolina and never saw engine coolant temps above 200 deg until we got to the mountains at deal's gap and we were crawling at more like 30-40mph and at the end of the climb it got up to around 220 deg. If it wasn't the end of the hill I would have pulled over to cool down. I do also have a 180 tstat and a stall converter. I'm going to be swapping back to stock converter to see how much of a difference that makes.

#60 ·
I have a 05 with the 5.7 with 3.92. As far as heating goes when I tow my 33ft travel trailer, don't know exact weight but it's a 92 model and it's prolly heavier than yours, it stayed pretty cool but my thermostat was staying open all the time until I replaced it. I would say go to a 190 t stat or a 180. If that doesn't work I would take it a shop that can do a cooling system flush and cleaning. We do then at my shop for around 90 bucks. My truck started running much cooler once I got the dexcool that comes stock in our truck out. Dexcool has a tendency to start blocking the system once it gets old or is mixed with other type of coolant including universal. I see it daily in our trucks and Chevy trucks that coolant is starting to get "chunky" and gooey. I would honestly do both but that's where I would start.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.