DODGE RAM FORUM banner

1500 HEMI vs 2500 Cummins

5K views 15 replies 12 participants last post by  huntergreen 
#1 ·
Ok guys have had my truck for only 6 months and after looking at few other new Rams Ive decided Im going to trade within the next year. I love my truck but I want more options. I plan to keep the next for good bit of time 3-5 years. My questions is since Im looking at a MSRP of around $50k sport should I consider moving up to a 2500 with the Cummins?

This is my first truck ever as Ive never been a truck guy but now I can't see getting anything else. I like to do the performance thing and floor it from time to time so I want to keep the wow factor but I don't want to get a cummins if its going to make me feel like Im driving a work truck.

My main goals are looks, performance, and hopefully still some decent fuel economy. I drive around 20-25k miles a year and about 3k miles are towing travel trailers. Any advice would be great and thank you in advance.

#2 ·
to me, 3,000 miles a year towing travel trailers when you average 25k a year doesnt seem like its worth the added expense for fuel and maintenance.

Just my opinion.

#3 ·
At first I was going to say that considering an average of 20-25K mileage per year, a diesel might be worth considering, until I re-read your post and see you only plan to keep it for 3+ years. If that is the case, I would say no because one of the pluses of diesels is longevity. So the added cost of a diesel (approximately 8K), the added expense ArmyofOne pointed out, just does not compute IMHO. On the other hand you did not mention how much your travel trailer weighs (GVWR) because if you are maxing out or close to it on your current truck, a case could be made for a diesel.

#4 ·
If your not going to step up to a diesel, it doesn't make sense to trade in your express for a sport just for a few options. Depending on your travel trailer weight and if your 20-25k miles are highway or not, you might want to consider the diesel. The cummins will hold its value better and longer than the hemi will.

#5 ·
The weights of travel trailers are always different I tow them for work from time to time. As of now I try stay with trailers under 7,000lbs even though I have 3.92 gears. I don't know if you have seen the difference in a express vs a sport but the one I looked at had a ton of stuff.

Fake scooped hood, polished aluminum wheels, leather, heated/cooled seats, wheel leather wrapped steering wheel, touch screen display (lots of options there) Evic display, infinity speaker system, sunroof, center console, bluetooth.

Im sure Im missing a few things.

Plus I want to trade for a Crew Cab and maybe most likely 4x4. But wont trade just for these those 2.

#7 ·
Why not

Look these guys are correct. Gantman is right on target (I have purchased 2 old 2nd gen diesels from dealers for next to nothing). I haul everything under the sun and they are less than 230,000 miles on the odomitor. Now the maintenance cost are the kicker. But hey, I'm flipping trucks and only doing 40k miles a year hauling with the diesels (your 3k). Listen to them.

Now note, that some people just want a diesel (I have 2 diesels, 1 magnum and want a Hemi). If you want longevity and lots of 15,000 lb hauls get a diesel (new) or a 2500 Hemi for no more than your hauling.

By the way, I just started bidding on 1500 Hemi's (they fit on the trailer). R...

#9 · (Edited)
They're good sellers too

The 2500 Hemis are favorites for small to medium contractors (hauling fuel, tools, equipment from job to job). I have 2 bids in now on 2500 Hemi's for a couple of buddies. Up North the small contractors hook snow plows up to them. There seems to be 2 buyer markets right now for the secondary market on Dodge trucks (3rd gen diesels, and 2500 Hemis). The big contractors go new for the 5 or 6 year fleet write downs.

Contractors can't be wrong. R...

#10 ·
Get the Cummins. Better resale, more desirable when it comes time to sell, great to tow with, etc.

$50k msrp on a half ton is ridiculous to me.

#11 ·
Ok well I guess it seems I just need to go drive one and see what they are all about. Thanks for the help and anymore would be appreciated.

#12 ·
Fuel mileage on my Cummins 2500

No load on my 24 valve is 18 mpg (no tuner) and is 12-14 on the same truck loaded (11,000 LBS 18' Trailer and load) using tow mode. Hauling a diesel is about the same weight as a 2500 Hemi (should know shortly).

The 2500 Hemi guys might could provide you mileage info.

Goose neck trailers weigh more (and draw the attention of the DOT).

Good luck..........R...

#14 ·
When I bought my truck this year (see sig) I had a choice between the 1500 for $32k or a 2500 diesel for $35k. The diesel was as basic as it could get and still $3k more than the 1500 that had a lot of upgrades.

The Hemi runs like a beast and gets as good of MPG as the diesels pretty much. So, it really wasn't worth the price difference just to have the diesel...at least for me.

Also consider the 2500 has leaf springs in the rear rather than the coils on the 1500 which makes the 1500 ride smoother.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.