DODGE RAM FORUM banner

should I trade for 08 ram 2500 diesel I6 ???

3K views 24 replies 12 participants last post by  hydrex 
#1 ·
I just like a diesel better than the gas motor ..

That loud girgle of the diesel is just tough .

I love my 2010 ram 5.7 hemi -- get great gas mileage -- 16-18 MPG city and 20 plus on the highway ..

I suppose the diesel will be getting 12-14 MPG ??

I found a 2008 Ram 2500 I6 diesel crew cab slt with 86000 miles for $25000.

my truck has 46000 miles -- 2010 5.7 hemi crew cab slt .

Am I crazy to want this diesel -- ????????????????

all input will be helpful !!!!!!!!!!

#2 ·
any opinions ????

#3 ·
What's the diesel for?

How often are you towing?

Is money a factor?

If it is strictly a love of Diesel then your mind is made up and do not need my opinion!

You're never crazy to WANT, we all do it, hence the reason we sign up to forums like this and spend our money like it's going out of style.

But, how long have you been searching for a diesel? Would it kill you to search a little more? The one thing that kills me is buying the shiny I thought I wanted and seeing a shinier thing the next month.

#4 ·
I just like the sound and power of a diesel.
I tow a couple times a year --
money is not a factor

I have been looking for a couple weeks for fords and chevy's -- just started Friday looking at the dodges and it didn't take long for me to trip over this one -- the fords are falling apart and not dependable , the chevy duramax you just cant find one -- I had a 07 duramax LTZ and loved it but not the payment.. from what I have been told the Cummings is great but the transmissions are the problem .

it also comes with a plow set up -- which I also want .

#5 ·
just looking for guys to tell me that I will not be making a mistake getting this 08 diesel and any issues I should be looking for .

#6 ·
I don't know if I comment on your posts before but I think I have.

The ONLY issue I have with you getting the diesel for daily driving is the fact that the emission stuff will eat you alive.

My experience is limited to the 2012 6.7 but the 08 is basically the identical setup. If you don't tow heavy or drive for long periods of time often then the truck will be doing more regeneration's to keep the DPF filter clean. Basically for your consideration that 12-14 MPG is a very high guess. If the truck has to constantly clean that filter you are looking at 9-12 MPG.

If you can get away with doing deletes then more power to you.

I am not a fan of the emissions on these trucks because it will kill a turbo/engine.

This is what happens when the emission stuff gets out of control.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tTNFmHOApQY
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MHxRxFQ40Qk

#7 ·
Hopefully my experience can help you out. In March I purchased a 2007 Ram 2500 SLT with 5.9 Cummins with 85k miles on it for 27000. Since you are obviously willing to get used, I would highly recommend looking for a pre-2007 that has a 5.9 engine. That is the last era that doesn't have emissions build into it (as far as I've known at least).
If money is no issue, the one you are looking at isn't bad and the price is on the mark for Kelly blue book. Your main hit will be emissions and mpg. Also be aware diesel maintenance is more expensive. ~$100 for an oil change!
Lastly look at the previous number of owners, this was my first vehicle purchase so I didn't know what to look for. It had 3 previous owners and was sold at an auto auction, which has cost me over $2000 in repairs! I'm not saying it's a sure thing but if a vehicle has multiple owners in a small amount of time, be wary..

hope this helps some.

#8 ·
great information guys -- thank you

#9 ·
don't do it. i had driven the 5.9 engines for years and loved them. the 08 is frought with problems. if i was going to go back to diesel, i would would be checking the new ones that use the urea additive. imho, this trade would be a mistake and if you research, you would come to the same conclusion.

#10 ·
so maybe the latest should be a 2007 5.9 because it doesn't have the emissions stuff ?

#11 ·
does the 2007 6.7 have the emissions stuff ?

#12 ·
found a couple 06 diesel 5.9 that nice with under 90000 miles-- will have to go look at them .

thanks for the information guys

#13 ·
Beginning in 1997 I purchased my first RAM Diesel for towing a heavy fifth wheel and owned 5 up to 2011. I was towing in the range of 17,000-18,000 which required a heavy truck. We were traveling and living in the rig 6-8 months of the year doing volunteer construction work. We had to come off the road and downsized immediately to a 1500 and an Airstream. We loved the Ram Diesels and my wife and I enjoyed driving them, but would only own a diesel if absolutely necessary.

#14 ·
I found an 07 with a 5.9 --- wondering if because its an 5.9 that it will not have all the emissions crap ??

#16 ·
my 99 ram 1500 club cab 4X4 has the 5.9 litre V8 and it just turned 136,000 miles and it's still going strong
15-16 mpg around town and 18 mpg hiway with the 4 speed 46re automatic w/3.55 gears.
factory cold air intake 245 hp/330 torque.

#19 ·
All the 5.9's are sort of emission free. Without going into details, depending on the year, they have a catalytic convertor in the exhaust and "in cylinder egr". This stuff is pretty minor compared to the 6.7 engine emissions equipment. The official switch to the 6.7 was Jan. 2007, which is considered a 2007.5 model year. The 6.7 is a good engine, its just has the DPF and EGR, which can be a problem as the miles get high.

My personal truck is a 2004 with 120,000 miles on it. I do a lot of my own work, so buying a truck like this wasn't a big deal. So far all the work I've done to it has been more maintance, such as shock, brakes, fluids etc. I diesel have major problems, it can get expensive.

#22 ·
I am going tomorrow to get the 07 5.9 SLT 4x4 quad cab long bed , 85000 miles with a leer cap -- looks like a big white bus -- it has brand new tires , brand new brakes and rotors , ball joints -- dealership said the have the service bill for $3100 includes oil change , filter and fuel filter.

It comes down to -- I just prefer a diesel -- and do not like the REGEN emissions crap .

thank you for the replies

#25 ·
Many years ago, I was stationed in Korea. A bunch of guys went on a bike trip to a pizza place about 20 miles away from base. On the way back we pedaled thru a place called the Turkey Farm. It was a place the government sent hookers with VD until they tested clean. As we rode by about 20 oversexed young ladies ran out and tried to ensnare us. 1 guy, the newbie decided to stay behind, though we warned and begged him to keep going. Every time I get weak kneed over a Cummins, I think of my buddy and the Turkey Farm.:doh: That bastid is still grinning!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.