DODGE RAM FORUM banner

My new Laramie

2K views 16 replies 11 participants last post by  Roving Volunteer 
#1 ·
I picked up my 14 Laramie a couple days ago and I am absolutely thrilled with it! I traded in my 07 F150 Lariat and it's one of the bet buys I've made in a long time. It's amazing how far they have come from my first Ram, a 1984 1500.

I was going to do a factory order which I kinda regret, as the truck the dealer found for me is pretty much what I wanted, but I don't have power folding mirrors, and it drives me nuts lol! Also it has the rear defroster windows, which also drives me nuts whenever I look in the rear view mirror. For the life of me I can't figure out why a truck needs rear defrost. I can't remember the last time a trucks rear window frosted.

Overall I'm very impressed with everything. I just filled up the tank full the first time today so it will be interesting what mileage I get.

A couple things I've noticed;

-The MDS is fairly noticeable when it comes on, hopefully it's saving fuel as advertised
-The alpine system is pretty good, though the centre speaker does drown out the system somewhat but turning off the surround sound mode seems to help that.
-The voice recognition is pretty good, though I can't figure out how to reply to a text message. Other than that it works 99% of the time.
-The air suspension ride is very nice, still feels like a truck but definitely more refined
-Being in Canada we don't get all the features on the Nav unit, pandora, Uconnect app etc... Hopefully the Lockpick units become available in the near future.

Hopefully I can get used to the lack of powerfold mirrors, I used that feature on my F150 very often. That's probably just being too picky at this point though.

Glad to be back into a Ram!

See less See more
#7 ·
Congratulations!

Beautiful truck. I think you're going to love it.

I came to Ram from an SUV, but you, my Friend, are exactly what Ram is shooting for - you came from another truck brand, and a Ford, at that. I would bet that you wanted to buy a Ford, looked hard at Fords, but they just couldn't compare to the features-rich and powerful RAM.

That was my story. I wanted to buy an F-150. Looked hard at them, but they just didn't cut it. The eco boost engine is having problems, and the V-8 is a measly 5.0. Plus, the 2014 F-150 is a generation behind.

Then I looked at GMs. Nice trucks, but I just couldn't get comfortable in the cab. The dash is too high, the seats too low, and I felt claustrophobic and couldn't get enough visibility.

Then I looked at Rams. I was on the point, several months ago, of making a purchase offer on a GMC - even with the cab visibility issues - but thought I should drive down the street to see the Ram, just to say I had covered all the bases.

The sound of that Hemi did me in. From there on, it was a love affair with the Ram.

Enjoy your truck. Keep us informed on how you get along with her.

#8 ·
Before the F150 I had a 1500 and a 2500 Chevy, both good trucks strong and reliable but there ewere little creature comforts. They were work trucks. The Lariat was a big step up in features and comforts. I did look at Ford again, but didn't have to look far since everyone else I know drives the new Ford's, I havebt been very impressed with them, intact I like the previous gen body over the new ones.

Then my friend bought a 14 Ram 3500 crew diesel duelly Laramie Longhorn... My lord that is a beast and it blew me away. That was it I knew I was getting a Ram. When I trade this one in a few years I think I'm going to do a factory order. That was the only thing I didn't like about the process, the pressure to buy off the lot. Well that and having to pay for the truck lol..

#9 ·
Congrats on the truck! She's a beauty! Just curious why you said you go nuts every time you look in the rear view window? The rear window defrost is a power sliding rear window just like the non-defrost so what bothers you about it?

#10 ·
Congrats on the truck! She's a beauty Just curious why you said you go nuts every time you look in the rear view window? The rear window defrost is a power sliding rear window just like the non-defrost so what bothers you about it?
The lines of the defroster in the glass , they just bother me. im a bit of a nut, I told the dealer not to remove any stickers or plastic wrap from the truck when they do their prep, just clean it check over the mechanicals etc.

#11 ·
Hopefully I can get used to the lack of powerfold mirrors,
I don't know why you don't have them unless I'm missing something. According to the brochure, the '14 Laramies come with the power-folding mirrors as standard equipment. Maybe because you're a Canadian customer (which truly makes no sense but other differences seem to be soley due to which country the buyer is from)?

#12 ·
I don't know why you don't have them unless I'm missing something. According to the brseene, the '14 Laramies come with the power-folding mirrors as standard equipment. Maybe because you're a Canadian customer (which truly makes no sense but other differences seem to be soley due to which country the buyer is from)?
It came with towing mirrors, which aren't power fold. I read the swaping mirror threads but it's not cheap and seems to be hit or miss.

#14 ·
Another thing I really like is the assist handles on both the driver and passenger side. I know GM does not have it on both sides. Not sure about Ford.

The tilting outside mirrors in reverse is nice. I don't know why all vehicles don't have them, but not all trucks do.

www.*************** has the new F-150. Damn, it's good-looking, but according to the article, Ford is going to stay with the six speed trannie and the eco-boost engine. The largest V-8 will be the 5.0. In my opinion, the six speed is a loser. RAM win. The Fords don't have the Hemi power, nor sound. RAM win.

I was waiting until the new Fords came out, but then found that Alcoa is having problems producing the aluminum required, so deliveries may be delayed. I went ahead and bought the Laramie, but was prepared for major second-guessing and buyer's remorse when the Ford came out.

NO WAY!!! I love my RAM, and would pick it over the 2015 F-150 any day.

#16 ·
Congrats on the new truck, looks very nice.:smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.