DODGE RAM FORUM banner

hd trucks with the 6.4 hemi

2K views 11 replies 11 participants last post by  cc rider 
#1 ·
how are you liking the 6.4 hemi. what kind of mpg are getting towing, empty city and hwy? tks all

#2 ·
I had a 6.4 in a regular cab 2500. I pulled a travel trailer weighing just under 10k pounds. I live at sea level and did not pull the TT at elevation higher than 1k feet. In those circumstances the 6.4 pulled great. The empty mileage was about 15 and the towing mileage was just under 9 MPG. I have sold the truck and now have a 3500 CTD to pull a much larger 5th wheel camper. Within it's limits the 6.4 is a good alternative to the CTD but I would not overload it and expect it to do well.

#4 ·
Wow, you're in a 1 ton now? Lol you've had a new Ram in each weight for the past 3 years. :LOL:

I guess the 2500 wasn't enough either. I doubt you'll run out of capability with the Cummins though:smileup:

#5 ·
I have a crew cab 8ft box and get an average of 13 empty and 10 pulling a 5k 18 ft box trailer. Have had an issue with the exhaust when it cuts the cylinders out for economy. Dodge just replaced a muffler and not sure yet whether that was the fix. Other than that its' a good truck and pulls nice.

#9 ·
Agreed. That truck doesn't need a damn thing. Looks perfect just like that.

#10 ·
2014 Ram 2500 4x4

Purchased the Ram in Apr. of 14. Have now close to 15k on it. About 5 of that towing a 27'5th wheel 13 plus k toy hauler. Have towed in CO , western slope and across Vail Pass. Also have towed across SD. upper and lower elevations. Love the truck in general for towing. Especially the handling and the engine brake portion. What I didn't like was standard gear ratio, 3.73. The 6.4 has awesome power but with those gears, need to be in the mid 4's and above for rpm. Also, the computer controlled shift is, in my opinion, not programmed for the optimal power that the engine is capable. That said, "cured the problem". Had my local Ram dealer install the 4.56 gearing. WOW!! nice difference. With the 3.73's was getting about 16 on the hi way (CO mountains and SD trip) between 14 and 16 in town, and pulling, about 8 in ether higher or lower elevations. After the gear change, getting about 14+ to 16+ in town, yet to drive in lower elevations but going from Junction, Co to Denver and back at 70 plus and having 300# slider and 250# generator in the back, got 15.5 average. Towing, not yet in lower elevation, 6000' and above in Co mountains, getting about 10. Suspect will get in 12's when down on elevation and hills. As for towing rpm's, now can pull in the mid 2's to mid 3's unless on a heavy pull. then in low 4's. Very nice difference and a more pleasurable driving vehicle. Not the constant up/ dn. shifts. Sure wish Ram would start offering and equipping the 2500 trucks with the lower gears. Should have the 3.73 as an option and the 4.10's as standard gearing. MY thoughts. lol

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.