DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Air Suspension Suspension

2K views 14 replies 9 participants last post by  Geodasher 
#1 ·
Well.

I finally decided to bite the bullet and order the Laramie with Hemi engine. I was waiting for the diesel, but the mileage estimations from the Motor Trend article do not justify, for me, the diesel over the gas. In addition, I suspect they will not be discounting the diesels initially, so the difference in cost between the Hemi and diesel becomes much more than $2800.

So, I went to one of my local dealers and said, "Let's order it." He went back to his computer, then came out, and said, "Corporate is not letting us order the air suspension." He said every time he tried to enter it into the order program, air suspension got kicked out.

I went to Donlens:

http://www.donlen.com/production-trucks-chrysler.aspx

and there are no restrictions at the plant listed.

Anybody know if, or why, Ram is not producing any more Laramies with air suspension? Is this temporary, and why? Is it permanent, and why?

Thanks.

Dave

See less See more
#2 ·
I think several other guys/gals ran into the same problem. I can't remember exactly but it seems like one day they can order it, then the next day they can't. I ordered a Sport CC on Oct 21 (in transit to the dealer finally) and I had no issue ordering the air suspension. Hope it get's resolved for you, because the ride on the air suspension is awesome!

#7 ·
So, dealers are allocated options as well as total number of trucks? If so, that seems a strange way to do business.

I would have thought that air suspension would have more to do with parts availability. It has been noted by the automotive press that suppliers cannot keep up with demand and to expect shortages of some components. This might tie into dealer allocation because one dealer might have an opening when the parts are available whereas another does not.

#10 ·
I read somewhere on these forums that Laramie Limited versions of the truck were now coming standard with air suspension, and when guys were trying to order it not nkowing it was a standard option now it kicked them out or wouldn't allow it.

Something like that anyway, I wonder if it could be something like that???

#12 ·
I read somewhere on these forums that Laramie Limited versions of the truck were now coming standard with air suspension, and when guys were trying to order it not nkowing it was a standard option now it kicked them out or wouldn't allow it.

Something like that anyway, I wonder if it could be something like that???
You're right - the LTD now is available only with air. To be more specific, it's a standard feature with the LTD, and now the option to DELETE the air suspension is no longer available.

But I think the issue with some dealers being able to build a truck with air and others not, is due to the way the dealers set it up in their system. They have to code it as a SOLD unit when they build it.

#14 ·
When the dealer uses the ordering system, they can mark the unit as sold or as a dealer stock. This triggers two things:

1. Sold units are prioritized for production earlier typically (auditing happens regularly to prevent abuse...).
2. Options that are generally restricted become open for ordering.

Options become restricted for a few reasons but they are typically either supplier is ramping up, the option was MUCH more popular than thought and there aren't enough to go around, there was an issue with a supplier disruption (think tornado, flood, etc), etc.

Air suspension is starting to be one of those killer options that everyone wants. My guess is there aren't enough to go around for both general orders and sold orders, hence the restriction (again, my guess!).

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.