DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Auto dimming high beams

16K views 58 replies 29 participants last post by  ramit355 
#1 ·
For those owners with the auto dimming high beam function, do your high beams return to operating once the oncoming light has passed, or do you have to manually return to high beam mode?

I've never been an advocate of this auto dimming high beam feature in cars. Too many people turn it on and set to delay too long leaving high beams blinding on-coming traffic. But the sensors in this Ram seem to work very well, dimming the highs plenty early to be courteous and conscious of on-coming traffic's safety. My system, though just dims the highs, will not return to high function unless I manually do it.

#6 ·
Thanks, mines not working right then

#14 ·
I agree.

I have never been an advocate of these systems. I drive for a living and excessively bright lights are a pet peive of mine. With that said, my high beams dim early enough for oncoming traffic that I would find it acceptable.

These new brilliantly white/blueish style lights, or improperly modded HID's without the auto-levellers and or proper aiming, or folk who just simply refuse to dim their high beams, are painful, disruptive and certainly inconsiderate.

The original post was not a judgemental comment on the systems. At $62K list for this truck, I want everything working properly. I've got 5500 klics on it now and the list of things that need attention is being compiled for it's second visit back to the dealer. First visit was for a new hood, since the original was covered in pox.

#15 ·
I have to try mine again. I used the auto hi beam when I first got the truck. I didn't care for the constant switching from hi to lo beams. Perhaps is because of my rual area or I am use to controlling the lights on a subconscious level. I will give the feature a fair shot again this spring.

#17 ·
I leave mine on auto and they work very well. They are as quick as I am at turning the high beams off.

#20 · (Edited)
The "Auto High Beams" sensor, at least on my 2014 Ram R/T is in a box mounted between the mirror and windshield. When the box is removed the sensor looks like a small camera. Apparently there is some alignment and adjustment to the sensor because I read either online or in the Owners Manual that it needs to be adjusted after a windshield replacement. The Rain Sensing Wipers sensor is attached to the windshield and is covered by the same box covering the High Beam sensor (if you have Rain sensing wipers).

Something similar to this!

#24 ·
I loved my high beams at first the thought of not having to switch was amazing, but after 25k miles, it's a love hate relationship. Sometimes they work great and sometimes they won't shut off for incoming cars, then two minutes later nothing at all seems to turn them off (no glare from anything in sight). Because of this, I still have to monitor my high beams and shut them off myself just incase, which kind of negates the convenience of having the feature. At the same time, there's been situations where I couldnt get them on when I needed them (looking for a lost dog) and I had to go in and disable the feature.

The wipers in the other hand are awesome. The knob twisted one way all the way til you hear a click disables it, and go past that click and they're on and you can adjust the sensitivity. The only problem I've had with them is a direct, strong glare of sunlight can make them activate. This rarely happens though. I just wish they had a manual control too.

#26 ·
My auto high beam work pretty good. On straights it shuts off well over 100ft away. Only time I have to turn off manually is going around a corner where the light can't hit the sensor in time. If I wanted to use the auto high beam switch manually could I just put a piece of tape over the front of the mirror cover??

#31 ·
Actually I wish the Ram had the 14 Chargers Lights..... They work different than the Ram....but the Rams works great too....The Ram picks up oncoming Light Beam aimed Directly at the reviewer Module thus dims when bean hits it directly head on....The Charger uses brighter LEDS and has an Eye in bottom from grill that actually adjust the lights Intensity and the aim based on current Enviromenmts and direct light both! Charger has Adaptive Lighting,cruise control which is very much different than The Ram.... But the Ram works great just not as bright LEDs and and does not adapt but will perform the Auto Aim adjust. The Charger has Forward collision Avoidance which is really neat too..... The Rams need what the Chargers have!!!

both the Ram and the Chargers are not "old school" high bean dimmers!! They work well.

#40 ·
The Charger does not use the decorative LED DRL's at night to assist with night driving and the eye in the lower grill is for the cruise control radar. The Charger and the Ram share the same equipment for auto high beams.

Also the Charger does not shape the beam pattern based on lighting requirements similar to Audi's dynamic light assist, those technologies are not legal in the US.....it is only a standard high-low beam setup.

#32 ·
The only problem I have found with the Auto Dimming headlights are the "false-positives". The reflection from road signs fools the system. It has never not dimming for an actual car. For cars that pass you it senses the red tail-lights. I actually feel it is too sensitive.

#36 ·
Mine did that on the Ram when I first got it....I adjusted the aim of head lights properly and they worked way better...... The 14 Charger with auto Lights has different type lights and sensitivity changes in brightness as it adjust to environment. The ram lights are awesome with adjustment but the Charger Lights are even better!!

#38 ·
Auto Dimmer

Mine work fine but tend to get a bit confused with high snow banks on corners and the "deer reflectors" that are placed in areas of high deer concentrations. Sometimes I have to recycle them by moving to low beam and back to high beam. I find them very accurate in most conditions.

#46 ·
GMC has the vibrating drivers seat. Left side vibrates if you cross the left line. Right - right line

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.