DODGE RAM FORUM banner

New Ram Ecodiesel

2K views 10 replies 7 participants last post by  jeffjcalweb 
#1 ·
I just traded in my 2012 Ram in for a 2015 Big Horn with the Ecodiesel. They gave me 8k off the sticker and I love the way the diesel runs. I was surprised by how much quicker and better it's midrange really is. I was expecting a dog. It's anything but and I actually prefer it over the Hemi. Since Friday I have drove almost 700 miles and its averaged 25.3 mpg city/ highway. A 200 mile trip yesterday averaged out at 27.4 mpg. This thing is incredible and giving me 10 mpg better than my old Hemi. I'm in love. The 8 speed trans is soooo much better than the old 6 speed.

What's the word on oil changes with these? What oil are people running? It looks like a special oil filter is needed. Where's the best place to get DEF? Any other tricks or anything I should know about?

#3 ·
Just follow the computers recommendations on oil changes, for most people it's every 10,000 miles. Yes, the filter is specific to this engine, but most folks get 4 free oils changes, so you won't need to worry about it for quite a while.

You can buy DEF almost anywhere. But, Amazon is pretty inexpensive and guaranteed to be fresh. But, you best bet is to find a truck stop that sells it and fill up there. It'll be considerably cheaper.

#5 ·
buy a 2 - 5 gallon can to fill at the truck stop
TA has DEF near or at the diesel pumps,
buying bulk DEF from the pump is super inexpensive

you can store DEF for quite awhile

#8 · (Edited)
One of the members on another forum has a friend that pulls Airstreams for delivery from the Ohio plant. Has well over 120K and hasn't reported any problems or issues. That is with towing the trailer and the 3D.

He isn't a member of the other site so I can't lead you to any posts.

Just keep the trailer in the confines of the the tow and weight limits of the truck and you should be fine.

#7 · (Edited)
Many of the 3D owners don't recommend going the full 10k for oil changes.

The best bet is to check your oil often to make sure it is staying near the full mark for the first 10k. Some engines have a lot of blow by which seems to push the oil through the PCV system. Almost similar to the Ford EcoBoost but that engine seems to gain oil level over time, fuel being pushed past the cylinders under boost.

Check to see how dirty it is, it will be darker but shouldn't be tar like. The first change will probably be the worst till things settle in.

Check out YouTube for videos. MoparDiesel45, I think that's the name has some really good videos on the 3D. He has about 110k miles in one year and tows a 7k lb trailer from Salt lake City into western Wyoming virtually daily.

#10 ·
I just ordered a 2016 and will be going from a Hemi to the Ecodiesel. I drove one Friday and was pleasantly surprised. It has a lot of spunk and is very smooth in front of the 8 speed. Plan to get the Longhorn just like the one I now have but with the Diesel. I have the air ride suspension and during my test drive I was reminded how nice the air ride is.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.