DODGE RAM FORUM banner

A Summary of Changes Between 2013 & 2014 RAM 1500

7K views 26 replies 18 participants last post by  Rusty289 
#1 ·
Has anyone put together a list of changes between the 2013 and 2014 RAM 1500s? I'm not really talking about color options or the configuration of packages. I am speaking about new standard or available features. Some are mentioned in one thread or another but I was hoping to consolidate.

I am curious because I have a 2013 Limited (2 weeks old today) and just ordered a 2014 Limited yesterday (long story...).

I know of a few changes:

**front park sense assist available
**painted rear park assist sensors (instead of unfinished black on painted bumpers)
**new refrigerant for A/C system (may not be a good change - time will tell)
**new humidity sensor (from a press release)
**new multi speed a/c compressor that cycles high to low rather than on and off (from press release).

Add to list if you are aware of anything.

#2 ·
Front parking assist is truly a brilliant idea!

If you've ever parked a car with one, you'll get my drift.

#4 ·
It's r1234yf. It replaces r134a, which is being phased out because the enviro-hippies don't like it. It breaks down much faster but with supposedly the same effectiveness. The downside is it's currently more expensive, but over time that will shift since it's the new standard. The controversy surrounding it is that it is apparently highly flammable in some applications, but word on the street is Chrysler has worked around this.

#6 ·
I know this is for 1500's but here are some for the 2500 which has even more changes (and significant ones)
Coil Spring Rear
11.5" rear axle
6.4L Hemi available
3 link front suspension
Higher tow rating 16,290 w/6.4L
50 KSI Frame
18" wheels standard
Available dual alternators on 6.4L (380 amp total)
Front Axle disconnect on 4x4
This is what I know so far, have also heard the interior will be modified to be more 1500 like.

#11 ·
The multi speed A/C compressor comes from Mercedes who has developed the technology a number of years ago to promote energy savings.

Note: High end home and commercial A/C compressors use multi speed technology to match output with load to achieve energy conservation and reduce noise of operation.

#12 ·
Yes, and the press release explained that this new multi speed compressor can yield up to a 0.4% increase in fuel economy.

BTW, I was shocked to see the options on the 2014 Limited rear limited to only the 3.21 or the 3.92. For 2013, the 3.55 was the only offering in a Limited.

Also, Trailer Tow Mirrors were not available as an option on the 2013 Limited when I ordered, but were available on my 2014 Limited order. I still did not choose them, as I love the power folding feature of the standard mirrors.

#22 ·
I am guessing they might have gotten tired of angry calls from 2013 owners who were less than happy with their fuel mileage being much less than stated by dodge.

That and I have to wonder if the 8 speed makes some of the old utility of taller gear ratios less important, unless you are really towing heavy.

#26 ·
Did they strengthen the parking prawl for both versions of the 8 speed? I had heard that it was just for the 8 speed v6 combo.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.