DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Help with horn

2K views 8 replies 4 participants last post by  Phatninja55 
#1 ·
I have looked all over to get help with my horn not working. I have replaced the relay, ran a "jumper" straight from the fuse in the pdc to see if the horn physically works and they do. At the steering wheel the abs light comes on and goes off, cruise works, and the signal, wipers, high/low beam all work. My thing is that I don't want to do a seperate button for the horn if i don't have to. So I guess would this still be the clock spring or something else?:4-dontknow:

Thanks in advance, in the mean time watch for finger....

#5 ·
At the risk of exposing my Ram ignorance, recent '98 owner, I thought my horn didn't work after buying the truck. When I went to use it for the first time it didn't work.

I called the dealer saying it didn't work and would not pass inspection, he said are you sure, we tested it here and it did? I wasn't believing this and when he said make sure you're pushing it hard in the middle as he noticed it required quite a bit of pressure to make it work. I told him after 35 years of driving I'm pretty sure I can beep a horn but went back and tried pushing it even harder than previous attempts.

It beeped and although I was happy I couldn't believe how hard I had to push in and how small the area was in the middle of the wheel that would activate the horn. In short I found it to be a very percise area you had to push very hard to get it to work.

Without knowing your history with the truck, e.g. did you just get it, did it work before, I offer this.

#6 ·
Lowrdr, I was out yesterday. Thinking of your reply, I was pushing hard as I can all over. And i9n the middle of steering wheel I was pushing so hard that I felt like I was pushing in on what felt like somewhat of a bolt, and the rest was like pushing on nothing. And I have had the truck since end of May 2012.

#8 ·
You should be able to hear the relay kick, turn everything off, and in a quiet place, try the horn. if it does kick, you'll hear a faint click. if the relay is kicking, look for power with a light or multimeter, your horns have 2 contacts in each plug in, see if you're getting power on one of the wires, if you have power, you'll need to ground them somewhere else beside the main harness, use a self drilling screw and eye terminals. you'll need to find positive on both horns, so you don't blow a fuse. On my 95, the horns were behind the bumper on the drivers side, (they're not there on your 01, I think they're on the right inner fender) to make a long story short, my horns did't work anymore, and tho they would powered directly, they sounded a bit sickly. pulled the horn pair from a 95 NewYorker, perfect match, perfect operation. (those were located right behind the right side of the bumper,on the ny'er and theres a perfect hole to mount them to the left of the radiator, in front,on your pickup, if your horns are mounted to that bumper supporton the drivers side.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.