DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums and Owners Club! - Dodge Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Help Zone - Dodge Ram Problems, Complaints, & Solutions - Maintenance & Re > 3RD Generation Dodge Ram 2002 to 2008 Dodge Ram Trucks > Powertrain > 4.7L PowerTech V8 Specific Topics

Notices

Latest Vendor News
AutoAnything
Addictive Desert Designs!
United Radio
Bayou Goat Mounts

Old 07-30-2014, 02:18 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Junior Member

Vehicle: Dodge ram 2002
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Blue
Engine: 2002-2007 287ci (4.7L) PowerTech V8 235hp 295lb/ft
Rep:10
Gearhead is on a distinguished road
Default brake issues

Question, what are the signs of the brake master cylinder going out?

Got in my truck today and the "brake " light and "ABS" lights came on and now I'm having to mash my brake pedal to the floor to get the truck to stop!

If I pump the brakes multiple times it acts like it wants to build pressure but eventually just loses it.

Any suggestions on what this might be? Any inquiries would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Sponsored links
Old 07-30-2014, 02:30 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Vehicle: 2005 Dodge ram 1500 QC 2WD
Color: Red
RamRod37 is on a distinguished road

I would start by checking to make sure the master cylinder is still full and if not start checking for leaks from calipers or lines under truck any signs of a leak if full and no signs of a leak Id bleed brakes at all four corners may have got air in system but If trying to bleed brakes and and It does not bleed right you may have seals busted in the master cylinder also check at brake booster where master cylinder mounts to booster something if master cylinder seal bust's at rear of master cylinder it will leak down booster

Last edited by RamRod37; 07-30-2014 at 02:34 AM.
Old 07-30-2014, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRod37 View Post
I would start by checking to make sure the master cylinder is still full and if not start checking for leaks from calipers or lines under truck any signs of a leak if full and no signs of a leak Id bleed brakes at all four corners may have got air in system but If trying to bleed brakes and and It does not bleed right you may have seals busted in the master cylinder also check at brake booster where master cylinder mounts to booster something if master cylinder seal bust's at rear of master cylinder it will leak down booster

I changed my front brakes 3 weeks ago and bledd them at the front, the truck has been braking fine until this unexpected issue.

Does air get in the system randomly? And if worse case of scenario brake booster or master cylinder went bad, would I still be able to stop after mashing the pedal to the floor?

Also, when in reverse I find that I have a little more pressure in the pedal as I am not having to press so hard! But once back in drive, it goes back to having to put the pedal to the floor.
Old 07-31-2014, 12:10 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

brake booster being bad would not make pedal soft and go to floor like that it would make pedal hard and be at top

As for the master cylinder going bad if that's the case I would not want to drive it with it bad cause there's no way to know if it would get worse and lose all brakes
have you not found any leaks any where

And Since You Said You Bleed Brakes On Front 3 Weeks Ago Yes Its Possible that air could have got in system then and just now has worked its way up to the master cylinder Id Start By Rebleeding all Four Brakes And Try that before anything else

Last edited by RamRod37; 07-31-2014 at 12:14 AM.
Old 08-11-2014, 02:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RamRod37 View Post
brake booster being bad would not make pedal soft and go to floor like that it would make pedal hard and be at top

As for the master cylinder going bad if that's the case I would not want to drive it with it bad cause there's no way to know if it would get worse and lose all brakes
have you not found any leaks any where

And Since You Said You Bleed Brakes On Front 3 Weeks Ago Yes Its Possible that air could have got in system then and just now has worked its way up to the master cylinder Id Start By Rebleeding all Four Brakes And Try that before anything else

Hello, I want to thank you for all the advice, I am such a ding dong, normally i am more car savvy then this,

I went to bleed my brakes again, coming to find out, I had no brake fliud in the system. After filling it up to requirment level my brakes immediately started working again!

Thank for all your help!!
Old 08-11-2014, 03:16 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gearhead View Post
Hello, I want to thank you for all the advice, I am such a ding dong, normally i am more car savvy then this,

I went to bleed my brakes again, coming to find out, I had no brake fliud in the system. After filling it up to requirment level my brakes immediately started working again!

Thank for all your help!!
It happens to all of up at one point most of us don't tell on our self though LOL glad you got it fixed