DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Front seat problems anyone?

11K views 16 replies 14 participants last post by  GTyankee 
#1 ·
I have a four month old Dodge Ram 1500 Laramie w/Rambox. The cab came with heated/ventilated front seats which I just had the bottom seat cushions replaced via warranty. The seat cushions became stretched out and warped so it looked like a bunch of fat rolls. The replacements seem to be doing the same thing. I'm thinking its a design defect. Anyone else experience this problem?

I'm having the regional rep look at it sometime this week.

#2 ·
My Laramie is also about four months old and I have had no problems at all with the ventilated seats. Still look new. Just took this pic for ya. Sorry to hear about your problems. For what we pay for these trucks, keep taking it back until it is right.

Attachments

#13 · (Edited)
Here's one of the pics I sent into Chrysler that got me the replacement seats. Now the replacements are doing the same thing. It's not right!
What method did you use to contact Chrysler? I am having the same problem and my dealer says it is normal wear and tear...not on a less than 1 year old vehicle! I have a 3 year old Acura with leather and 25,000 miles....the seats look factory new.

#4 ·
I haven't had that particular issue, but the seat coolers just died for both driver and passenger. The dealer is replacing both fan motors, but because they both went at once, I'm thinking it could be something else.. I've had a ton of electrical issues with it since I got it. (2010, now just over 30k). Thankfully the leather seems to be holding up fine, as I know the dealer would probably tell me anything cosmetic like that would have somehow been caused by me.

#5 ·
Ventilated seats may be the problem

Seems that the ventilated (heated/cooled) seats might be the problem. My dealership has been helpful but they aren't responsible for manufacturing defects or design defects. I suspect it's one or the other.

The regional Chrysler director has asked that my seats be looked at by an upholstery expert so I'm taking the truck in tomorrow. The problem has resurfaced...the replacement seats look as bad as the originals.

I'll keep the forum posted.

#6 ·
Chiming in on this subject...mine is 1 month old and I'm having the same issue. Actually the side of my seat is creased from getting in and out as well. Basically I took it to the dealer and pointed out the seats look like they're 5 years old already! Stretched, bunched, creased...really? Thankfully I have a great dealer, they haven't replaced them yet but said if they get any worse they will take care of it.

#7 · (Edited)
I've seen this issue on every single truck I've seen with these seats installed. They eventually go back depending on how bad they get stretched out (I'm a skinny guy). So far Dodge has refused to acknowledge the issue, likely because I don't think most people actually notice it.

I do tech inspections for Rally America up in MI, there's an older couple that comes every year too, and they just picked up a Ram with the leather seats. I asked them if they had the issue, they said no no. but when I saw the truck later, it was worse than mine. So I think this is a problem with the owners first noticing, and complaining to service/dodge directly about it.

#8 ·
I have a new 2011 with leather that are heated and cooled and they are stretched and deforming. I only weigh 190lbs. and over a year, it has <5000mi...so very little and spaced butt time for this level of deformation. I've read several complaints here and on cumminsforums.com where some complain the warrantied replacements do the same thing. In a 4x4 truck, when entering the vehicle, the seat is prominent in your field of view when climbing in. Hey guys, come check out my >$50k bean bags! It's a truck, yes, but I dont raise cattle and it isnt a farm truck to me, it's a "luxury" tow rig. Sorry, slightly frustrated...

#9 ·
2014 RAM sport ventilated seat wrinkles

I'm having the same issue guys. The seat is permanently wrinkles with only 19k miles on it. It's like the leather isn't pliable enough to return to its original shape. Haven't tried to contact the dealer or RAM yet on the issue.

#11 ·
Mine with only 2000 miles on them are doing something similar. Question, does anyone with a longhorn or limited have these issues? Or is this strictly isolated to the vinyl/leather Laramie seats?
Most likely these seat "hemorrhoids" are due to the hybrid pleather product. I've not ever seen real leather act like that!
Could you imagine cows walking around looking all rumply?:LOL:

#14 ·
My 2013 Longhorn seats look like they need to be stretched. They are full of wrinkles.
Interesting...
I really wanted a Laramie but ended buying a Longhorn.
One of the things that pushed me up to the Longhorn trim level was that during my exhaustive research before buying, I read about the Laramie vented seats being prown to this wrinkled seat issue which the Longhorn's did not suffer from.

I know it sounds nuts but there were members on this forum that owned both a Laramie & a Longhorn at the same time and stated that the two seats 'looked' the same, but they definitely felt and wore quite differently.

I don't know :4-dontknow:
Let me see if I can find one of the old threads discussing this mysterious seat difference. I'm pretty sure the Longhorn & Limited were said to be 'different' than the Laramie.

#17 · (Edited)
I have to believe that whoever is putting the leather over the seats, is not wetting or heating the leather as they stretch it to put it on

You would not believe the amount of force a truck seat upholster uses, just look at their arms

Heating method
www.youtube.com/watch?v=FWxqOe_LHDQ

Katzkin in a Ram, How To
Looks like it is already wrinkled :(

www.youtube.com/watch?v=b5aTSWiNK04

4th Gen seats, upholstery with full explanation, step by step
Heated & Cooled Seats

The seat shop, Allen Tx.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=QhAya5EBD4o

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.