DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Towing with our new 2011 2500 Hemi

6K views 1 reply 2 participants last post by  rsg1963 
#1 ·
Just thought I would share my towing experience with our new 2500 Hemi 4x4 crew cab. Our camper is a Cub toy hauler (the kind where the wheelers load on the front of the camper). Weight when loaded is ~7000lbs (wheelers, water, gen, gas etc..) Our 96 ram 1500 w/360 eng, while rated to tow this weight had to struggle to do it. I installed air bags to help offset the hitch weight (bumper pull trailer). I never did feel confident about making trips. and getting home again. So comes the new Ram 2500 Hemi. I really considered going with the Cummins but (for multiple reasons) settled on the Hemi. On to the towing experience. Our first trip was a shorter ~ 100 mile run one way. I will say that towing with the Hemi was a night and day difference. With a head wind of 15-20 MPH the truck in tow/haul and using cc set to ~60 mph and some smaller hills to climb the Hemi performed great. Gas mileage came in at 7.5 Mpg (calculated). Yes the tranny does shift on hills where the cummins may not. but for our purposes i have NO regrets going with the Hemi. Ride quality while towing with the 2500 was excellent even with air bags being pumped up to level out the ride. I wouldnt complain about the ride of the 2500 even when empty, just slightly more robust than the 96 1/2 ton (both are 4x4). I love the factory trailer brake controller VS the aftermarket cheapo that I installed on the 96. The controller is much smoother in brake application, almost proportional like. Should ad that the Hemi did not struggle when climbing hills with the cc on. I'm sure that there is some grade break point where pulling could be an issue but in Mn long steep hills are not much of a concern. Thats our first pull the next one will be ~250 miles one way

See less See more
#2 ·
Nice. Sounds like an easy trip, which are the best kind! I too tow with my Hemi (I have a 2006 Cummins also). I have found that the RPM's are too low for me on the highway, but otherwise it's fine for light towing like you and I are doing. (under 8-9K total). It also seems to have broken in after 12-14K which I found odd. I was used to a 3-5K break-in for engines, but this Hemi just came to life after 12-14K.
I may someday replace my 3.92 gears for some 4.56 or 4.88's, but for now we will make do. Have a safe second trip and enjoy!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.