DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Ram Air Box

7K views 28 replies 14 participants last post by  wvcoolvinilla 
#1 ·
#11 ·
I was thinking of a ram air hood what is the purpose except looking good, is there a performance advantage, more air???

#12 ·
I believe that since the ram air box is a direct shot to the throttle body that it would be a bit better? As Raiderjay was saying, the holes he had on his hood abrupted the flow a little bit due to their small diameter. I say if you don't have a functional hood scoop, the classic tubular intake is better, but if you have a fully functional scoop, then the ram air box is better in that case.

#16 ·
That filter came from ramairhood.com

Raiderjay, monster hood buddy. Love it.
So If I am planning on putting in the functional monster hood scoop like that, then I do not need a cai. I can get the set up like yours and get better results.
Pretty much, I just couldn't tell if it was working better or not. I like the sound of the traditional CAI better too. :smileup:

#18 ·
That is interesting Raider jay. Great input. Especially for me cause I am now looking for a hood. I just posted a thread for replacing the windshield and hinges on my 00 dodge ram. cause I bought it messed up where the previous owner had the hood fly up and crack windshield. lol. So that was great timing.

#20 ·
I'm looking for some kind of a intake too. I'm really considering the ram air box. The hood on my '05 is the same as an SRT-10 hood. So I should be good with buying just the box. That's what hood you bought isn't it, RaiderJay6?

On the other hand, I have a buddy who wants to trade me a traditional CAI for a BullyDog programmer I have. I'd just about trade considering I was wanting to upgrade to a Predator anyways, but he doesn't have a factory intake, so I'd have to give him mine. No big deal, but I just like to keep stuff like that. I know, CRAZY!!! lol.

#21 ·
I'm looking for some kind of a intake too. I'm really considering the ram air box. The hood on my '05 is the same as an SRT-10 hood. So I should be good with buying just the box. That's what hood you bought isn't it, RaiderJay6?
Mopar also makes something that helps send the air from the SRT hood to the the Mopar CAI.

Mine is based off the SRT hood. The cowl is alot higher and it has vents on the sides like the Viper.

#26 ·
I've got the Suncoast ram air hood, and it can actually use the stock air box, with a drop in filter you've got lots of flow. I know they make a hood for the '00 years. I like it cuz there's the center heat extractors with the intake scoops on either side. There's also drainage holes at the back and corners of the intake/exhaust wells so there's no issues with water running into the filter or onto the more sensitive parts of the engine compartment.

Here's the air box location, and the cut out is cuz I installed my own CAI, not the K&N that they use. You can see one of the heat extractors to the right of the intake.

#28 ·
In the picture above - See the square hole that looks just about the size/location of your factory air box? The hood has air channels in it that allow air from the scoops over to the air box and then through the pipe and over into the intake. It seems to me a more tortuous path (unlike RaiderJay's ramair hood that feeds directly into the filter on top of the intake) but it still works.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.