DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Black plastic exterior parts and fading

7K views 13 replies 13 participants last post by  snrusnak 
#1 ·
I was wondering if there was anything good out there to maintain the true black color of the plastic parts on the exterior of the truck. I feel like mine is already fading (probably because of the fresh coat of linex in the bed) and I want to prevent this from happening. The door handles and the top of the bed rails seem to be fading the most, at least in my eyes. Can anything be done to prevent this?

#2 ·
some solutions:

Back to Black
BLACK WOW
Forever Black
303 Aerospace Protectant on your weatherstripping and black trim
Kiwi mink oil may be the best

#6 ·
I've used Back to Black for the last couple of years and it does a good job. I'm using something now I found on the Chemical Guys website called VRT...It's not greasy and very easy to wipe off of the paint if you get some on it. So far, I like it better than Back to Black...We'll see

#13 ·
This part of my '09 was exceptionally bad. I'm seriously considering painting it to match the body on the '11 this time around.

#14 ·
My 2010 antenna base is also discoloring. It's sort of a whitish-blueish color. I may end up painting it black. All the other plastics on my truck are holding up well. All I use to wash my truck is I mix some murphy's oil soap(or similar), some of the blue car wash stuff that says it includes carobla wax or whatever(like from walmart), and some water. I use it on everything except upholstery/carpet. Basically everything except carpet, seats, and headliner. It keeps the rubber parts like tires, weatherstripping, etc. from dry rotting as well. I don't know that this is true but I think the oil in the soap helps protect the black plastics from fading, as well as the paint, and even the dash and similar parts...I don't really know, but I know it's holding up well, and held up well on past vehicles.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.