Bypass oil filter systems? - DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum
DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum

Go Back   DODGE RAM FORUM - Ram Forums & Owners Club! - Ram Truck Forum > Dodge Ram Forum - Mod Zone - Custom Dodge Ram Mods - Dodge Ram Performance > Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel

Notices

Custom Dodge Ram Performance Mods - Engine - Dodge Cummins Diesel Discuss modifying your Dodge Ram with Performance Parts and Accessories!

Vendor Highlight! - Check these guys out for great deals on Parts and Accessories!

Old 11-23-2017, 02:49 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2018 Ram 2500
Trim Level: Laramie
Engine: 2013-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 370hp 800lb/ft (6-Speed Automatic)
Rep:10
gweaver is on a distinguished road
Default Bypass oil filter systems?

Just ordered my first diesel, and have been reading quite a bit about oil and fuel filtration. I don't want to start a war, but what are the best mods to do to the truck in terms of filtration when I get it?

It sounds like a bypass filter for the oil system is a good thing to do, and several companies are making some pretty impressive claims about their systems: 1World claims 15K miles between oil changes, Frantz claims 30K miles between oil drains (change their filter element every 5K miles and add a quart of oil), Amsoil says extended oil change intervals are possible, and a table on their site suggests 60K miles between changing the bypass filter element, but they suggest following regular oil drain intervals.

Anyone have experience with any of the above, or other, systems? I've done a little looking around, and the Frantz (~$350) and Amsoil systems (~$400) seem to be lower cost than 1World (~$525). Frantz has replacement filter elements for $15, Amsoil replacement filters are $45, not sure about the 1World units.

From the above numbers, the Frantz system seems to be the way to go, although they have a 'unique' filter style, to say the least. Folks who have them have nothing but positive things to say. Of course Amsoil has their supporters too, as I'm sure 1World does as well.

Anyone here have thoughts one way or the other?

I suppose I should add that I live in CA and can't do any of the delete mods, and I want to make sure my warranty stays intact. If adding a bypass filter system will affect my warranty, please let me know. If there are other CA-legal, warranty-legal things I should do to protect the engine, I'd appreciate your suggestions.

Thanks,
Greg

Last edited by gweaver; 11-23-2017 at 02:52 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 01-03-2018, 04:40 PM
Dodge Ram Forum Senior Member

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Sheila is on a distinguished road

You might be better off on the Cummins forums, this place is all about big tires and sport bars.

I'm running the amsoil on a sinister diesel kit, been on for 7,000 miles or so and still flowing free. I also use an LF9028 two stage filter which offers 2 micron filtration of a certain percent of oil. Bottom line is you keep your oil clean and you're doing nothing but favors to your engine and turbo.

Btw, Cummins recommends 15k Mile oil changes already. You can extend them out to 90k though. Mobile one with bypass is one of the oils that can do it.
Old 01-03-2018, 05:48 PM

Vehicle: 2016 Ram Ecodiesel 2 whl drive
Trim Level: quad cab SLT
Color: sunburst orange pearl
Rep:2968
GTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond reputeGTyankee has a reputation beyond repute

Check your owners manual for oil change mileage until your Factory Warranty is up & then do whatever you want mileage wise

I worked 10 free oil changes into my 2016 Eco-diesel purchase
I wish i had known about the Fuel Filter changes that need to be done every 20,000 miles, i would have tried to get a discount on those too

A lot of the Truck Stops have switched over to Bio-Diesel at the pumps, that crap can really mess up fuel filters

Last edited by GTyankee; 01-03-2018 at 05:56 PM.

Old 01-03-2018, 08:26 PM

Vehicle: 2006 Ram 2500
Trim Level: SLT
Color: Silver
Engine: 2005-20?? 359ci (5.9L) Cummins ISB 610 24-Valve Diesel I6 325hp 610 lb/ft
Sheila is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post
Check your owners manual for oil change mileage until your Factory Warranty is up & then do whatever you want mileage wise

I wish i had known about the Fuel Filter changes that need to be done every 20,000 miles, i would have tried to get a discount on those too

A lot of the Truck Stops have switched over to Bio-Diesel at the pumps, that crap can really mess up fuel filters
My owners manual says 15k miles same as Cummins. What does it say on the 6.7's?
Old 01-05-2018, 02:44 AM
Dodge Ram Forum Newcomer

Vehicle: 2008 dodge
johnsontsui is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTyankee View Post

Old 02-05-2018, 05:47 PM

Vehicle: 2016 RAM 3500
Trim Level: Laramie
Color: Granite Crystal
Engine: 2016-20?? 409ci (6.7L) Cummins Turbo Diesel 385hp 900lb/ft (Aisin ASC69RC Automatic)
Rep:48
rsg1963 is on a distinguished road

I am running the Amsoil bypass system and it's well made with filter size options which I really like. I'd follow the advice of others about sticking with the 5k interval for warranty purposes (don't give them a chance to deny). I still drain at 15k with a Donaldson engine filter, but only replace the bypass filter every OTHER change and that's still way overkill. Pro-tip, don't forget about the crankcase filter which oftentimes gets overlooked. I change mine every 30k which, again, is overkill, but I like knowing I'm not gunking up my turbo from too much bypass vapors.
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
2016 3500 MC 385/900 with Aisin tranny & 4.10 gears: Fox 2.0's, Amsoil Oil Bypass, 20" Fuel rims with 275/65-20 tires, Juice w/attitude controller, Weathertec Floor mats, 45 gal RDS tank, Hensley TS3 hitch, Amp Research steps, hybrid window tint.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement