DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Mod16 - Cabin Air Filter

155K views 338 replies 216 participants last post by  Cire4492 
#1 · (Edited)
NOTE - This mod applies to 4th Generation Rams Only!

Today I had a half hour of 100% free time. Not long enough to clean the truck, so decided to do a mod instead.

Cabin Air Filter

Here are the Dodge Avenger parts that were used.

I started by emptying the lower glove box, then squeeze the sides in to release the tabs that stop it from falling out.

Just lift up slightly and out it comes.

Looking in though the hole you will find the airbox with an outline that matches the cabin filter cover for an Avenger. When cutting out, stay inside the raised rib.

This next part is optional, but I find that removing the fan to be able to reach inside is very helpful in removing the piece you cut out. Here is what the fan assembly looks like when in position. I had already removed the back screw before snapping the pic.

Here I have marks the 3 screw locations. They remove real easy with a 5/16" nut driver. Don't forget to unplug the fan motor wiring.

About 20 seconds later, the fan is out. Hmmm....I wonder what the flat rate is to replace this item......

Here is looking up into the airbox where the fan normally sits.

The air box modification tool of choice.

This is the plastic after removal. I find it easier to cut straight across the bottom and remove/optionally remove the the small lower tab. It is completely unnessessary to remove this small lower tab, but the embossing is there, so I just couldn't leave it. No one will every see it, but 'I' will know it's there... :shakehead:

Here is the opening after all the knife work is done.

To Be Continued.......

See less See more
#70 ·
Inside the raised edge. :)

#71 ·
Its funny that I found this right after the dealer replaced my fan motor 4 days ago . When I told him it had a bad bearing he said that it took alot to get the motor out and if they got it out and found out it was something forien in the fan I'd be stuck with the cost . I will be doing this mod soon. THANKS for the wright up and pics

#72 ·
I hope they gave you a loaner vehicle while yours was in the shop for this 'major' repair. :LOL:

#74 ·
There is no filter until you put one in after you do the mod . IF and only IF this mod will work for your truck .
Take out your glove box as shown in the pictures and see if your truck has the same area that brad shows in the picture as "CUT THIS OUT " IF YOUR TRUCK HAS THIS , this mod should work for your truck .

#76 ·
I completeted this mod today . Thanks for all the info .

#77 ·
Your welcome. I have come to really enjoy the benefits of this mod. My hay fever doesn't bother me at all when I'm in the truck, and I don't have to dust the interior every second day. I can get away with almost 2 weeks before the dust starts to show. :smileup:

#162 · (Edited)
Just did mine tonight, got it from Geno's Garage. I'm right handed and my hats off to all you guys that did this with a knife.

I just could not get in their with the right leverage to do this so ended up using a Dremel type saw. More plastic dust but I vacuumed real well afterwards. And saved slicing myself cause that's where it was headed :smileup:

#81 ·
Thanks for the info... Will pick up the cover at the dealer...

I cant see in the picture but is there a grill that the filter sits on ? and if so what the part # for it...

#84 ·
Just finished this mod...thanks again for the write up!!

One dumb question though. The arrow on the filter (and filter door) is supposed to point down, toward the fan right??

I'm not sure how the system works but it seems like it should be pointing up. Unless the fan pulls air in from above?

#86 · (Edited)
The airflow is down, so the air filter should be placed with the arrows pointing down. The air flow arrows on the filter cover are correct. :)

#88 ·
I was very happy to discover that it was this way. A benefit of this design is the dirt sits on top of the filter so gravity is always assisting in keeping the dirt on the filter during removal. Also when you filter the air on the intake side of the fan, the fan benefits from this cleaner air and a clean fan will perform at it's peak potential longer then a dirty one. :)

#92 ·
Got my filter and cap in a few days ago, but its been raining every day and nite here so could not install it.

Well got tired of waiting for mother nature to cooperate and stop pissing on my truck, and after a few emails complaining to her, she finally gave in and let off the rain for a few hours, only needed 15min and the carbon Cabin Air filter with Mopar cap was installed and filtering. Thanks to this write up it was even easier to do.

I did mine with one of them big Exacto knifes, i pre drilled 6 holes "one for each corner". Its very thin plastic, I took my time and just follow the lines in the plastic, you will also have to cut out the 2 small 2mm high by 4mm little indentations on one side of the hole so that the 2 protruding clips from the Mopar cap will fit or sort of slide in, not sure if its the same for older models but on this 2012 if you don't cut those 2 little grooves the cap hangs up on the side of the hole and you can't clip the cap in place. I ran my knife around the lines in the plastic where you cut 3 or 4 times and just pushed on the plastic and it popped in the fan box, stuck my fingers in, pulled it out and voila it was done, the cap indicates the air flow so you put the filter in the same direction as the arrows on the filter as that of the cap, install the cap, clip the clips on both sides and done.

Some people was asking if it really cut down on air flow once installed, and you can notice it, but its not that much. I actually find it cut the sound of the whirling fan down, you don't hear it as much. All in all, inexpensive mod that was easy to install, will keep the crap out of the cabin and should of been there when I bought the truck LOL. I guess the guy at Chrysler that made the decision not to provide one when you buy the truck brand new is a car guy like us and figured it was a mod we could install ourselves so we could play with our trucks. :D Who knows.

#95 ·
I called the parts dept of the dealership that I just bought my truck from. The filter's in stock but the cover would have to be a special order.

The parts guy repeatedly asked me for my vehicle info so he could verify if it was the right part. I finally told him it was for a Ram and it wouldn't show up as original to the Ram.

Long story short, he said it could affect warranty and I should run it by their service manager.

I'm dropping the truck off there tomorrow for undercoating & rustproofing so I'll discuss it then...:i_rolleyes:

#96 ·
The only warranty problem it could cause would be coverage on the vents.....and that's pretty unlikely. It'd have to actually cause an issue, and it won't(they use it on other models). I bet that defense would hold up.

IMO, order from Geno's garage. Google it it should show up. That's what I did, it was like $33 shipped to my door for the filter, door, and instructions. Took about a week or two to get. Also came with a magazine and packet of gojo. I was fairly impressed with the price and was happy I didn't have to even get off my ars to get the parts...

#98 ·
Sorry. :sad: Your 2009 HD Ram is still a 3rd generation body so this mod will not work. The HD Rams did not update their body to 4th generation until 2010. :(

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.