DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Can I Fit 20x9 Negative Offset Rim On Leveled 1500?

26K views 20 replies 5 participants last post by  Davidsv04 
#1 ·
I've got a '13 Ram Sport, and I want to widen its stance. I plan on getting a 2" or 2.5" front leveling kit. I want to use a 20" rim (black), wrapped in the stock street tires, to widen the stance. Looking for a 0mm to -24mm offset on the rim. Personally, I want to create somewhat of a "deep dish" look. I want a noticeable lip on the rim (maybe 1 to 2 inches?). I have 2 questions about this:
  1. Will this setup even fit? I'm not looking to get a taller tire. I do not want mud tires either. I want to use the stock tires...98% of my driving is on paved roads. I just want to push them out wider to create my preferred stance.
  2. Approximately how far will this setup push the tires out? I thought the stock tires were approx +20mm offset. So therefore a 0mm offset should push the tires out by almost an inch from where they are now...but I've seen some 0mm offsets, and they don't seem to do this. They barely move the tires out at all (at least to my eyes). Let me know what you think.
Thanks in advance for the help!

#2 · (Edited)
You certainly have to level your truck to do this, but you already said you would.
If running them on stock tires, you should have any issues at all.
Without level, the tire will grab the front bumper when turning.

With a 20x10 -12 set, you'll stick out 2.5-3"
With a 20x10 -24, you'll stick out 3-3.5"

If you need pricing on any set of rims, let me know :smileup:

#4 ·
Will the stock tires be able to handle a 10" wide rim? The factory tires are 275/60R20...which I believe measures out to 10.83" of width. Isn't only a 0.83" difference between tire and rim...well...kinda small? Considering the stock setup is 8" wide rim with 10.83" wide tire?

And yes I want the truck to be level...no questions asked. I just hate the forward rake look. And an extra 2" clearance should help with the rubbing.

#3 ·
If you go with the 20x9 wheels you mentioned, the 0 offset will be pushed out 3/4" from the stock postion, and if you go with the -24 offset they will be pushed out about 1 3/4" from the stock position. Grab a measuring tape and a straight edge to see how far out they will stick.

#5 ·
That's definitely what I thought. Mathematically it works out. Then I saw some guy with 20x9's with 0 offset, and they didn't really look ANY wider than my stock setup. So maybe I need closer to a -12 offset to see the difference.

#11 ·
Studerco, excuse my ignorance and misread of your post.
I just assumed you wanted a 20x10 :doh:

20x9 will have the same look as you have now. Of course it will look different and stick out further. But yes, 20 x9 will look the same and with a - 12 offset it will push you out 31mm from stock. Which is +19 offset.
Sorry for the confusion...

If you need rims or need pricing on those let me know the brand you want and I can provide you with pricing. :smileup:

#12 ·
Makes sense now. I kinda figured a 20x10 would be a little too wide for the 10.83" tire anyways lol

In specific, I noticed the black Moto Metal 962's come in a 20x9 with a 0mm offset. Only problem with those is they only come in "gloss black", whereas I'd prefer matte black. But sure, if you have pricing on those, that would be pretty helpful, even just to see what I have to save up to get them. Thanks.

#15 ·
Well my last truck was lifted with MT's. Really wasn't all it's cracked up to be...especially when I use my truck as a pickup-car. 98% of my driving is paved roads. This truck has about 5300 km on it right now, and the tires are fine for me. Wouldn't make any sense to me to buy a new set of tires when the current ones are barely used and work great for what I need lol. And personally, I just couldn't justify the price.

Once these tires wear out, I'll probably get another set of 275 wide street tires. Maybe 285's if I feel the need. Definitely not looking at mudding out the tires at all this time around lol

#21 ·
Hey there gonna pipe in on this one with a question of my own.... I have a 2015 1500 big horn and i'm getting the holstein 5100 leveling shocks.... my question is does the offset make a difference on the amount of clearance for rubbing? i plan on 18x9 wheels with roughly a 33-35 somewhere in there but not sure what offset to do so allow for max clearance or if it even makes a diff.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.