DODGE RAM FORUM banner

2010 2wd with 305/55/20 20x9 -10 offset?

8K views 12 replies 9 participants last post by  xopt1js 
#1 ·
A very busy and popular local custom wheel place that does tons of business and says they've done over 150 Ram trucks in the past few years told me I would be able to fit the following combination with no lift or leveling kit on a stock 2010 2wd Ram 1500... No rubbing, No problems.. This contradicts what I've read elsewhere, but I'm inclinded to belive them and they are guaranteeing the install and will size down tires if does not fit.

Nitro 305/55/20s 20x9 wheels with as much as a negative 10 offset.

This tire would be 33.2 high x 12 wide

This tire and rim would stick out from the body about 1 inch, which is exactly what I'm looking for on this truck.

The sales guy said that Dodge trucks got more wheel well space starting in 2008 or so.

#2 ·
The 2010 Rams with 20s tire size is 275 60s which is 33" tall So it would make sense why the 305 55 tire would fit if it is 33.2" tall.

#3 · (Edited)
You are saying there are stock 2010 2wd Rams coming with 275/60/20s? was not aware of that.

There are other variables though.

I wonder what year exactly the wheel well starting accomidating larger tires. I've always found it annoying that older big 2wd trucks could not accomidate 12.5x33 which is a very common truck tire size.

I'm glad you brought up the 275/60 tire as that too is very common, but not wide enough for my taste personally. At issue is the width though. 12 vs 10.8 and offset.

my local pepboys they carry a 285/50/20 coopers at a great discount too.. so I'm thinking of all three tires and wondering how big and wide I can go. Rim will be 9 wide max, and offset will be between 0 and -10mm max.

I'd love to see a 2wd truck running that exact combo.. 20x9 -10 offset with 305/55/20 and no lift or leveling. Otherwise It might not fit and then force me to mess withe suspension.

#7 ·
I would say its possible depending on the offset...maybe some rubbing at full steering lock. I'm assuming you have a 2010 from the section you posted in but if you fill out the user profile people will be able to help more.

Lastly, if they stick out an inch I guarantee you will be washing it every week at a minimum. Any water you drive thru will get thrown up...people water there lawns or whatever.

#8 ·
If you had the 4x4 version of the truck I would say it will definitely fit. I think the 305/55/20 is a 33x12 tire. I had 305/55/20 rims and on the truck they were measured to be like 32.8. Those were the BFG A/T KOs. Since you are getting rims with a negative offset you will be creating more room so it may fit.

I dont think the Rams come stock with 33" tall tires. I say this cause my 33" tall tires I bought were a lot bigger then the stock ones. Also my buddy has a 2009 Ram and he took my tires and they were bigger then his stock ones. I saw someone else had said that on here but it does not make sense since 33" tires are bigger then the stock ones.

#9 · (Edited)
Since you are getting rims with a negative offset you will be creating more room so it may fit.
Always wonder about this. but I think as the tire gets taller where usually the problem is a more negative offset helps with the rubbing on the torsion bar and inside well and chasis, but as it gets wider, a negative offset and wider rims (further out) hurts with rubbing on corners of fenders. I've always pushed the envelop with tire size and i've even driven off thinking they fit only to find out they rub when braking at very high speeds or turning up into ramp. I really do not want to change the suspension so if the shop guarantees they will fit - I will do through test with one tire and step down to something like a 285/55/20..

Was hoping somebody who is running that size say this post and confirmed for sure.

Damn.. 295/55/20 Nitro's Grapplers are like $400 a piece! They look very aggressive but proably loud on the highway. That size sounds like a perfect size for a 2wd.

I have not purchased the truck yet - hence no profile info. I've been going back and forth via emil with the internet sales manager. Right is the best time to steal a 2010 that's been siting on the lot for a few months.

Thanks guys!

#10 ·
My last truck was a tundra with 20" x 9" stock wheels, I went with a 20 x 9.5 wheel and 305-55-20 terra grapplers. I only had a level kit on it and the tundra had less wheel room than my Ram. They did rub on the factory mud flaps which I removed and had no rub issues after that. Those did not stick out since mine had the factory fender flares. My Ram does not have the flares and I'm not really considering them so I want to stay close to the original size, maybe slightly wider, not much though. BTW, the grapplers were surprisingly quite with a smooth ride on the highway, they are expensive though.

Danny

#11 ·
The 4th gen R/T's are 2wd and come with 275/60/20's from the factory. I'm sure you'll have plenty of room for 305/55/20's if you don't mind them sticking out a bit. I have 305/45/22's on SRT10 reproductions and they stick out maybe a quarter inch more than stock.

#13 ·
Are you riding at stock height or do you have a lift/leveling kit?

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.