DODGE RAM FORUM banner

Seafoam Motor Treatment

7K views 26 replies 13 participants last post by  marineman 
#1 ·
Is AMAZING. I tried it out today, poured it on in my brake bleeder valve or whatever it's called. Started to sputter after the third, So I went ahead and shut it off. I knew it was gonna smoke, but it smoked like a S.O.B. The whole front yard was engulfed in smoke, and somebody left the garage open. Sucks for them.

Went and did some hard acceleration runs and cleared that puppy out. I thought that that was an awful lot of crap... So I had my friend kyle come over, and we poured another third into his 2000 jeep cherokee sport with the 4.0.

It only has about 70k, and was owned by a dealer's son, so it was very well maintained. After waiting a few minutes, it had hardly smoked at all.

I was almost disappointed at how much gunk was cleared out, shows how much it was neglected.

Overall I am impressed, I don't really feel much of a difference in responsiveness but it idles a lot smoother for sure. Not really lopey anymore.

:smileup::smileup::smileup::smileup::smileup:

#2 ·
As far as adding it to the crank case, my philosophy is HELL NO. I believe that is strictly for oil. I wouldn't dare mix it in there.

I'll add the rest to the gas tank later.

#6 ·
Nope, I'm with you on additives. There are very few I trust. One thing I've found that might seem a bit odd is using limited slip additive in automatic trans fluid to soften the clutches. I first heard this from an instructor at one of the Chrysler schools who told us he wasn't officially allowed to tell us that.

#9 ·
Yeah, I'd have done that, but it was havin trouble suckin it all down, so I was pouring it pretty sporadically, letting it recover.

#12 ·
So you just mix it with your gas? Never used any seafoam products. Sounds like it will be worth it. My truck has about 90k on it. Still runs good but like you said its getting a bit of a rough idle and takeoff. Oil is changed religously, but as far as anything else, not so much. What else do you guys recommend? I know sometimes if you have a truck w/ a lot of miles, if you wait til then to service some parts, you could have problems which is one reason I didn't fool with it when I got it.

#13 ·
Yeah, i've used this on my 3000gt, haven't gotten around to doing it on my truck yet. Worked great. I've always heard to buy two cans. Put one can in a full tank of gas (20 gallons, don't know about you 32 galloners out there), put half a can in your crank case (yes I did this with no adverse effects), and the other half in your vacuum line. It will sputter and stall as you add it to your vacuum line, you can either go slow, or have a buddy help you with the gas pedal to keep it running. Once you have it all in, let it idle for a few minutes, might want to play with the gas pedal to keep it idling. Then drive it around for a few minutes. And it should smoke pretty well. Try and add half a bottle to your crank case, I wouldn't worry about it too much, just change your oil in the next 500-1000 miles or so.
This stuff works wonders on engines that have a few extra miles on them.

#14 ·
I know that some of the guys that I work with do it just about every 6 months through the vacum line on the brake booster and keeps there engines nice and clean but every time they do it it smokes really bad. I will do it to mine done the road but im not sure it is ready for it yet, since it only has about 10,500 miles on her right now.

#15 ·
After reading this review I went out and bought two cans of Sea Foam ($9.99 for 16oz.!). I bought one for the next time I fill up at the gas station and the other one is for my oil and vac lines. I do have a couple questions though...

Should I add it before or during an oil change? My truck is due for an oil change now but figured I'd ask this question first.

Where is the best place to put the Sea Foam in for the vacuum treatment? What vac line should I put into the bottle?

My 1995 Ram has 197,XXX miles on it and I'm looking forward to see if I notice any changes after the Sea Foam treatment.

Thanks!

#16 ·
I would put it in before your oil change. I'd change it within 100 or so miles of using the seafoam.

I would use the brake booster hose. Here is what it looks like, I know mine has a yellow tip as well.

Pour slowly. I wouldn't stall it, thats my opinion. I'm not so lazy as to let it die on it's own. After letting it suck it in, You plug it back in to the booster, and then turn it off and let it sit for a few minutes.

Thats a good amount of miles! This will be good for it!

Let us know how you play out!

#18 ·
I got a little bit of one, I did it twice cause it was so bad. Lol the whole damn yard was nasty white and blue! And because I have such free flowing exhaust starting at the manifold it was SPEWING IT!

#23 ·
All that smoke is the crud burning off your valves...we used to use ATF in carbureted motors to do the same thing. Poured it into the carb slowly - it would create massive clouds of white smoke. First time I did it someone called the local fire dept. By that time I was done and in the house, they never did figure out where the smoke came from!

#25 ·
Dang bud, I missed this thread.

I just seafoamed tonight :)

For anyone wondering, seafoam is intended as engine treatment and as a fuel additive. To run it through the engine, pour it in the throttle body, or find a vacuum line that goes into the intake. Ideally, you want the seafoam concentrate to be equally proportioned into your cylinder heads by mixing with the air that is going into the engine itself. On my 5.2 [engine warm] I remove the Airhat, pour the seafoam into the TB keeping the revs up to keep it from stalling until half the can is gone. I either kill the engine or shut it off. I pour the other half into the tank [16 oz treats 25 gallons, so 8oz treats my near-full tank of 12 gallons]. I wait 20 minutes and go out and start up the truck.

The crankcase treatment is legitimate. Add the seafoam within 1-2 days of an oil change. It removes sludge and moisture. Again, it can work so well that the sludge falls off and could get sucked into the recirculation. That is why you add it, drive around, and get your oil changed soon thereafter.

I will be posting a thread in a few minutes with my treatment video.

#27 ·
I have used it on all of my vehicles and it really works wonders calming down higher mileage engines (this truck is the first vehicle I've owned with under 100,000). I use it through the brake booster, in the gas tank and in the crank case. I was always nervous about the crank case so I would pour it in, let it run for 10-15 minutes then change the oil.

As an added benefit it works great for detecting exhaust leaks :smileup:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.