DODGE RAM FORUM banner

need some help!!

2K views 17 replies 7 participants last post by  ekmike 
#1 · (Edited)
ok so i have a 318 in my 2001 ram, i find it dosent have any balls like (torque) i can step on it hard on a dirt road and it has a hard time to spin my tires (33" tires on 18" rims) i dont find there that big. My dad had a 2000 ram with a 318 and it had alot more balls. So my question is does it have anything i can do to it to help it out i changed all the fluids in the truck on the weekend, i still have my TB mod that i will be doing tonight or tomorrow night. And i would like to replace the cat with a highflow magnaflow cat and would like to run a CAI or something like that but i'm not sure about the CAI because i like to run my 2wd truck in the woods and mud. So any ideas would help me alot. And the truck has 207 *** miles on her. And for mods that i have to help the power of the truck is i already have a magnaflow muffler and a superchip flashpack at setting performance, and if anybody know's more about superchips let me thanks.

Thanks, Mike

#2 ·
Look down the throttle body and see if there's any oil down there. If there is, a blown plenum gasket is the problem. It lets the intake suck in oil which causes you to lose power, hurts fuel mileage, causes you to lose oil, and it is a common problem on these engines. With over 200K miles on it, I think it's likely the plenum gasket is blown.

This will fix it.
http://www.hughesengines.com/Index/...yk=&searchmode=partnumber&page=3&partid=26190

The stock plenum plate is the problem. It's made of steel whereas the intake manifold it is bolted to is aluminum. This means they will expand and contract at different rates when they heat up and cool down. This makes the gasket blow. The Hughes kit has an aluminum plate that fixes the problem. It's not enough to just replace the gasket.

#3 · (Edited)
my fuel mileage is good tho and i dont lose any oil when i drive etc..., truck runs fine just wont spin much on the dirt. But i have looked on superchips web site i can change the oil PSI in the tranny it might just do the trick because when i step on the gas it wont rev pass 3500rpm but will red line if i leave it in first so i'm gonna try a few things tonight see if it helps to wake it up some. But ill check tonight around the manifold to see if it has any oil spill.

Thanks for the info :)

#4 ·
Hey ekmike, this might sound kind of strange and I might be totally wrong, do you know if your truck has a limited slip differential? It sounds to me like that's what you are describing. I can't get tire spin out of mine because of the limited slip rear end.

#5 ·
i fine that it locks posi in the dirt and when i got it almost stuck in the mud both tires were rousting mud, sometime this week i need to change the oil in my rear end so i check what i have. Ok so i have been playing alitle bit with my superchip and its helping i find, but when i do my TB mod it might help to.

#9 ·
Before you change the fluid in the rear end, find out if you have a limited slip differential. If you have one, you need to use a friction modifier additive to your oil. Chilton's manual says it only needs 5oz. if I remember correctly. If you don't use the modifier you'll get a nasty chattering in the rear end.

#6 ·
ok so i have a 318 in my 2001 ram, i find it dosent have any balls like (torque) i can step on it hard on a dirt road and it has a hard time to spin my tires (33" tires on 18" rims) i dont find there that big.

Thanks, Mike
imo....i have a 99 with a posi and its still a 3.55 ratio, if you have not done so already, you might want to look at a set of 3.92 or 4.10 to help you spin tires, exspecially if you take it in the wods and whatnot, also my truck has the 5.2 as well and it was being sluggish and we took it to the local dealer and they put a new timing chain and gearset in, and WOW it made a huge difference, just my $.02 :4-dontknow:

#10 ·
i have an 01 5.2 same set up only i have 31 inch tires. sounds crazy but see if you have slack in your gas pedal . mine had like two inches of slack i pulled the slack out and zip tied the cable under the pedal. it made a world of difference more throttle response and i hear my cai sucking air. give it a shot cant beat the price of a zip tie. i was blowed away at the difference it made good luck!

#12 · (Edited)
ok so i did the TB mod to my truck :), now i just need a top air cleanner. A set of headers, and maybe a cam if it has one out there that works good with this truck and a high flow cat. And also a posi and a set of gears and this truck should work good.

And i had to try out my new mod on the weekend ;) hahaha heres a pic of me trying to get on the oter side of the ditch

and heres one after a long day of trucking in the mud where would 4x4's would go ;) and dont ferget its only a 2wd ram :)

#13 ·
ok so i did the TB mod to my truck :), now i just need a top air cleanner. A set of headers, and maybe a cam if it has one out there that works good with this truck and a high flow cat. And also a posi and a set of gears and this truck should work good.

And i had to try out my new mod on the weekend ;) hahaha heres a pic of me trying to get on the oter side of the ditch

and heres one after a long day of trucking in the mud where would 4x4's would go ;) and dont ferget its only a 2wd ram :)

DO the Throttle valve cable adjustment for better takeoff's and more oomph from dead stops too.

#16 ·
thanks man, so far i still have the stock air box so i dont notice the TB mod just yet but i'm looking for a K&N top air cleanner my buddy dads has a nice one for his mustang so i'm gonna try to find one like that :) then i should notice the TB mod.

#18 ·
I have a litle situation now, i sold my 01 ram 2wd and picked up a 95 ram reg. cab 8' box. And this truck has a 318 and a 5speed standard tranny and 4X4 ;) and with less millage then my other one. But this truck burns oil pretty bad and i find i dosent have the balls that it should with a 5speed, my other truck had litle more power and it was auto trans. So i'm guessing it might be that gasket under the manifold (that plate) and it smells like its burning oil and it smokes also. So any ideas what it would be? And the motor still runs great just burns way to much oil :( help me out with some ideas thanks.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.